Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More efficient building  (Read 1800 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More efficient building
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:48:28 am »

I'm sure this has probably been suggested before, but it'd be nice if dwarfs were better at clearing out building sites. I hate jobs that almost permanently go back to being suspended because there is an item sitting in the construction site, no matter how small.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: More efficient building
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:11 am »

I'm sure this has probably been suggested before, but it'd be nice if dwarfs were better at clearing out building sites. I hate jobs that almost permanently go back to being suspended because there is an item sitting in the construction site, no matter how small.
I was building a wall, stone got hauled over, then a unicorn sauntered by. All the dwarves got scared and dropped the stone to run away. The wall took over a season to finish (it was maybe 50~ tiles long) because there was "an object occupying space" on every tile of wall.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:06:45 am »

My particular concern occurred when a tantruming soldier kicked over my trade depot. After many hours of un-suspending the construction, I had to dig out a new entrance and build on a fresh location. Kind of annoying.

ilsadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »

They will clear out the space completely.  Most likely you had something sitting on the object you were unsuspending that was TSK'd for something else.  A dwarf won't move an object that's marked for some other job, even to just move it a few tiles out of the way.

Now, if that's what you want to suggest, I'm all for it.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:55:09 pm »

That touches on the notion of task priority. Introducing the notion that moving items out of the way is a very high priority task would be interesting; the main problem with it is in not cancelling the temporarily-subordinate task in the process, which is what currently happens if ever a dwarf loses track of the item he's after(even if it gets lost before he gets assigned the task).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:32:57 am »

The game assigns rocks to tasks oddly, if i have a 1x10 square area each containing a piece of rock and i assign a 1x10 wall to be built on those rocks it should assign each rock to the piece of wall on top of it. Instead parts of the construction get suspended because rocks get tasked for other parts of the wall and then after those get built you can unsuspend the wall to finish, unless the other parts of the wall contain rocks tasked for the first part :(

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:58:23 pm »

Actually it uses complete logic: it follow the order in which you assigned the building materials! If you want them to only use the stones that are on the tiles that you are building either make shure you understand the system or order only the construction of single pieces of wall on top of those stones.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »

That handles the wall problem, but what about my destroyed trade depot? Any suggestions for that?

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:53:59 pm »

Actually it uses complete logic: it follow the order in which you assigned the building materials! If you want them to only use the stones that are on the tiles that you are building either make shure you understand the system or order only the construction of single pieces of wall on top of those stones.

yes i know laying down the wall 1 piece at a time works, it just bugs me about how it assigns to stone to the wall sections when you lay a larger then 1x1 wall or floor, it seems to grab stones starting with the closest to the 'central' piece and work its way outward rather then assigning the closest stone to the wall/floor piece it's assigning to.