Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who you're callin' "dwarf"?!  (Read 4048 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Who you're callin' "dwarf"?!
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

I've started a human fort recently. First thing in the summer, a caravan barges in, and with it a liaison, and a merchant guild representative. The liaison was quickly tasked with bringing more food next time, and left. The representative managed to annoy me twice. First when he asked me the same question "what requests do you have of our merchants?", and when he left, he said something along the lines of "fare well to you and your stout dwarves"...

Toady, I know you've already adressed the race name issue in several places, like the embark screen and the orders screen. But these things keep popping up. In the embark message, as well, "whether with bolt, plow, or hook, provide for your dwarves". That one may be more difficult (and less critical, as I only look at the fort name in that screen), but it's not complete when it's not complete.  ;)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who you're callin' "dwarf"?!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

If you're starting a HUMAN fort then you're using a mod?
So it's not really a bug since the only playable race in DF is dwarves, so the fact that the liason speeches don't recognize race doesn't matter since you can only be dwarves in DF right now, I'm sure when the standard game allows you to play as humans this will be addressed.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

I would like to voice my support of this.  I too enjoy playing as creatures other than dwarves, and it would be nice for that to be recognized.

I doubt that a human village settling on the shore of some lake will have much of an effect on "a new chapter of Dwarven history", but who knows.  I may be wrong.

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

This wouldn't be a bad idea after more important things are dealt with; of which there are many.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

This should really have been posted in the mod thread since it's a bug with the mod, not with standard DF.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Technically, it's not a bug with the mod.  It's an incompatibility between the mod and the native game, one that the mod has no control over.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Whatever you want to call it, it's not a bug with DF. and until standard DF supports more races it most likely won't get fixed.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

Well, no, it's not technically a bug. This here is the game acting normally according to its original design, despite being modified not to act according to that design.

However, Toady has already altered some instances of the game referring to creatures you control as always "dwarves", like the embark screen, the orders panel, some system messages, etc. This implies "partial support" for such alterations as playing as another race, making it a feature of the game, despite it having to do with modding. In this sense, the issue is a bug - a bug in a partially supported feature of the game. Not the biggest issue by far, but every little bit counts.

quote:
Originally stated by VIKI:
<STRONG>My logic is undeniable!</STRONG>
:)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

Well, it's not really a bug. All you can do about it is to nicely ask Toady if he'd like to change it for a very, very small portion of players of DF. It's non critical and, IMHO, not even slightly important.

Also, when the liaison says "what requests do you have of our merchants?", I don't see what the problem is. He's refering to him and the merchants of his race. You'll have to give me a good explanation of why you think this is a mistake if you are to convince me it's a problem...

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

It wasn't the liaison, and if you read closely, I'm not really complaining about the "requests" message. I'm complaining (partly) that two trade-representing individuals of the same race arrived at once and asked me the same thing, and about the trade representative (not the liaison) calling my humans dwarves.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

That's exactly what I understood.

So basically, you're not complaining about two things like you said in the first post, but only one.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

The topic is relevant to only the message, yeah. The liaison and the merchant guild rep were probably from different civs anyway. Although why did they come with the same caraven then? O_o