Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice how to save this dwarf?  (Read 1501 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice how to save this dwarf?
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:26 am »

My imperfect planning one slaughter-day allowed an elk to beat the crud out of a woodworker as he hauled the beast from a cage out to be slain.

I half expected the worker to bleed to death, he had broken and/or shattered bones from his right shoulder to his right hand, and he had a broken liver.  z-health showed he had heavy bleeding for a bit, but my squads of slaughterers got back to his side and ended the elk before it ended the worker.  The bleeding appeared to stop almost immediately, even before the fight fully ended.

No one took him to the hospital, which had functioned properly before when a fighter needed a cut arm stitched and cleansed.  Instead, despite being listed as doing 'rest', he was conscious and ever so slowly took himself there.  Once there, he lapsed into unconsciousness upon a bed, and my diagnoser got to work, and appearring to properly diagnose him.

There were requests for everything from cleaning to surgury, about six requests for treatment in all.  And the first one my healthcare workers began was cleaning.  I thought 'great' and turned my attention elsewhere for a minute or so.

I soon spot a dwarf hauling stuff while flashing the yellow +.  Checking on him, ack, it's my wounded one.  He's still wounded, shattered bones, broken bones, presumably laboring just with his left hand.  Checking out his personal medical history, somehow he managed to get all his healthcare requests 'removed'.  He still has his injuries, his treatment history shows no care given to him other than his diagnosis.  Almost a quarter of him's red, but his only complaint was that his grasp's somewhat impaired.

He is absolutely NOT resting, which surely will prevent him from healing much, if ever, if he even can without medical care.  So far it's been about two months, he's showing no sign of infection, and his information screen doesn't even show any scars or anything (perhaps because he is not healing?).  He has suddenly become faint though, despite the fact that he stopped bleeding some months ago.  Perhaps that's the start of an infection?  z-health doesn't indicate infection, diagnosis request, or any other treatment, though it says he is faint, grasp impaired, compoundly fractured, in need of setting, and has broken tissue.

I've read about re-injuring dwarves to get them re-diagnosed when an incompetent diagnoser thinks they are fine, is that the probable good answer here?  I'm rather loath to do that, but I really, really want this (all!) dwarves in my fort to get injuries tended, I want to see it happen!  If he catches an infection, will he automatically be set to need new medical attention?  Any other advice for saving and healing this dwarf?

Nice to meet you, Diamondaxe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Was it your lack of insurance?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice how to save this dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08:02 am »

I'm sure there is a solution that involves magma.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08:44 am »

Here is a wild guess:  forbid all crutches and splints and see if this forces him back in bed.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:25:01 am »

Here is a wild guess:  forbid all crutches and splints and see if this forces him back in bed.

Sadly, he's not using crutches or splints.  Tried forbidding them anyway, just in case.  No luck.  Even when there's no work to do, he's just idling, not resting again.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:05:21 pm »

You should train him as a wrestler or something. He's clearly unkillable if he can take that and only complain about a weakened grasp.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:22:57 pm »

Do you want to save the dwarf?

Let him do what he is doing. He does not find himself impaired by the injuries so he continues without them. The red wounds will heal in the next year or so, but until then he will do what he does best, keep going. The wounds were diagnosed and there was no need to do anything. He's not bleeding. The wounds can't make themselves worse than they are, so why do anything other than work? He's fine. Let him work :)

Do you not want to save the dwarf?

Magma.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »

Tell him to stop working immediately. Remove ALL labors!

Dwarves have gotten better for me once they stopped doing physical labor. (ok only one but ..) I do not like how he is faint. I do not like that one bit! don't allow him anything to do at all. Use burrows to limit his movement from the hospital. If he sleeps, you want him to sleep in the hospital .. the doctors might ever so slowly take care of him.

oh and i suppose he needs traction, you have a traction bench do you?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:02 am »

There's traction benches in the hospital, yes.  The only thing missing from the hospital is plaster, even when I manage to get it stockpiled into the hospital zone the game still ignores it , it doesn't show on the hospital info.  He had initially needed cleaning, suturing, bandaging, surgury, and two other things (I forgot which), but for whatever reason all those 'needs' vanished and he hopped up to work.

Burrowing him into the hospital zone sounds good, I'll try that!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:57 am »

I had the same problem with a dwarf.

Solution? Lever profiled to him on repeat. Cave-in lever. Doctors rush to the scene. "Hey, he's hurt!"
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]