Dwarf Fortress > DF Bug Reports

Caged Livestock Bug

(1/2) > >>

DrMorbly:
I searched the forums, development list, and bug list for this bug and it wasn't listed.  However, I know it is known by some because it was listed as a point to remember in the wiki.When I cage my livestock in wooden cages they stop breeding.  I have tried from multiple points.  I have tried to put them all in one cage immediately.  I have tried waiting a couple years and separating them by animal type.  They always stop breeding though.  Even when I release them, they will never breed again.  Even if I don't even touch a kitten or dog, I will never get puppies or kittens again.EDIT:Nevermind.  They have started breeding again but not until long after I removed them from their cages.  Does some hidden breeding timer reset when I put them in cages?  Would they begin to breed again if I left them in the cages long enough?[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: DrMorbly ]

Ravendas:
Old well known bug. Also happens when you tie things up. I like to use wardogs tied up around my fortress as a 'natural' defense, but they always seem to stop breeding. Right now I've got so many tied up it's not really feasible to untie them all and retie them all every year.

ktrey:
I remember someone once saying that ordering animals from the Caravan can jumpstart breeding.

BurnedToast:
Even with every single animal in the fortress caged, they still breed for me. I am 100% sure I've had puppies pop out of the cage my only 2 dogs were in.So it's not JUST caging them that causes the bug, there must be something else involved too.

Ravendas:
I heard that getting new animals fixes it as well, so I've been trying that in my fort. 3 years of 2 dogs per year coming in, didn't do anything. I release them from their cages, they run around... nothing. After a year I train them to be wardogs, still no change.I never caged any of my dogs, just tied them up. For awhile I had a bunch tied up and they were still procreating, but after awhile they just stopped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version