Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chasm creatures dying  (Read 2995 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
chasm creatures dying
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

why do they do this? chasm creatures randomly die of no reason... ive heard they chasm themselves or something like that, but why do the swallowmen die in that case... i like the chasm creatures, but they feel much like a one-time event as they die and the chasm then just stays empty...

please forgive my excessive whining about repopulation, but it would be SO SOOL to have repopulating chasm/river/magma creatures, and not to mention the ability to mod in ocean/chasm/river and magma megabeasts. the ifrit (yes the final fantasy ifrit) would be a really awesome megabeast to have appearing from your magma vent

een failing lately?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: chasm creatures dying
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

I too have this occuring.  I seem to be able to tell when I would have an underground river or something because of a long list of creatures that seem to randomly die off for the first few years.  And chasms, too, have pleanty of creatures arbitrarily dieing.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>but why do the swallowmen die in that case...</STRONG>

when 2 creatures move into the same square, one must lie down. if you lie down in the air, you stop flying. if 2 swallowmen move into the same square while flying...

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

well... that says something about the fliers
EDIT: maybe flight shouldn't be affected by stance?

[ February 22, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

Just chiming in to say I too would like re-populating map features. I'd like to be forced to 'tame' these features like in the old DF if I don't want to deal with random attacks forever. Maybe even have to floor over [secret fun stuff] with the appropriate material to stop the onslaught.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

I've had creatures living in an underground river dying off for apparently no reason. Also in a magma vent there was 3 fire imps. I killed off one and proceeded to block all entrances to stop my dwarves from entering, however after a while the two remaining fire imps died for seemingly no reason. My only idea might be that they starved or something.

The version I'm using is 0.27.173.38a.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:47:00 am »

I'm pretty sure they are considered as dying of old age, which is saddening. The only cave creature that ever seems to stays alive is the iron man, and he's not much of a challenge when you don't have to fight to him. The cave river, however, is a combination of old age and the current being too strong, pushing them down the chasm it drains into.

Repopulation would be greatly enjoyed.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Repopulation as in, new creatures spawning out of thin air, or them making babies?
Creatures nests/dens, and eggs, if appropriate, would be interesting.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Well, creatures that part of map features should respawn at some point. I mean, magma men, fire imps, and fire men could crawl out of the bottom of the magma pipe, fish can come from another part of a deep underground water system and chasm creatures should crawl up the walls of the chasm.