Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarfs....  (Read 6240 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Dwarfs....
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

Did I miss the thread for this or something?

http://po2games.com/?tag=dwarfs&paged=2

It uhm....well, damn, it looks a lot like DF doesn't it? I don't even need to read up on it to know it lacks the depth of DF, but it still kind of rankles to see something so close and so obviously inspired. At least they didn't borrow any of his source code....

Anyways, sounds fairly fun for a self-described "casual" game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:24:46 pm »

Color me interested...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 05:36:53 pm »

I'm hooked.
Downloading now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:38:36 pm by Mindmaker »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »

It uhm....well, damn, it looks a lot like DF doesn't it? I don't even need to read up on it to know it lacks the depth of DF, but it still kind of rankles to see something so close and so obviously inspired. At least they didn't borrow any of his source code....

It...it doesn't look even REMOTELY like DF...at all.  Why do people throw an enormous screaming hissy fit whenever this happens?  No, seriously, it seems people are REALLY quick to accuse game developers of ripping off Toady.  Surely others have noticed?

Okay.  So there's magma and water, and you play as dwarves.  Do you REALLY think nobody's ever done that before?  Damn, the underground race of Final Fantasy Four was TOTALLY ripping Toady off bigtime.  But the screenshots look like there's one central building, and then you're digging out from it, and doing...god knows what.  But it sure as hell isn't DF so quit yer bitchin'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »

Just because something happens to involve Dwarves and randomization doesn't make it Dwarf Fortress-like. :P

Still, it sounds fun.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »

It...it doesn't look even REMOTELY like DF...at all.  Why do people throw an enormous screaming hissy fit whenever this happens?  No, seriously, it seems people are REALLY quick to accuse game developers of ripping off Toady.  Surely others have noticed?

Okay.  So there's magma and water, and you play as dwarves.  Do you REALLY think nobody's ever done that before?  Damn, the underground race of Final Fantasy Four was TOTALLY ripping Toady off bigtime.  But the screenshots look like there's one central building, and then you're digging out from it, and doing...god knows what.  But it sure as hell isn't DF so quit yer bitchin'.

That's what I thought.
But you know how Today-fanboys are :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »

What you just did there seems like more of a hissy fit than anything I said. I said it LOOKS like DF, but its NOT DF.

To me it rankles because we're starting to see a lot of stuff inspired by DF, that differ in how obvious they are about it. Surely you've noticed that as well? That's as far as I'm taking it though.

But by all means, flail some more. 
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:57:55 pm »

Oh wow.
Second tutorial mission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hillarious! (with the commentary and stuff)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »

I saw Snow White last night, come on, seven dorfs?  Toady should start charging these people royalties.
Shoes...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

guys i was reading up on all this ancient Norse mythology and stuff right

totally have dwarves that have moods and make artefacts

totally underground and short with beards

i'll notify my local chronolegal team immeadiately
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:14:39 pm »

I saw this book by some british guy that seems like really old and stuff and it had Dwarfs that lived under ground and everything. What a ripoff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »

If band camp somehow becomes involved in this, I'm locking it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:48 pm »

If band camp somehow becomes involved in this, I'm locking it.
ok so one time in....GOBLIN CAMP!, the game is not bad, good for simpletons with little or no cognitive thinking.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 07:16:15 pm »

ok so one time in....GOBLIN CAMP!, the game is not bad, good for simpletons with little or no cognitive thinking.

I just love how you insulted basically everyone who enjoys playing this game.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »

Well, even though I basically invited it in my original post, I'll say knock it off, we don't need to do that again.
Pages: [1] 2 3