Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: magic in games  (Read 13251 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: magic in games
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »

Triangle Wizard and Wizards Quest. Triangle Wizard's spells generally aren't terribly innovative, per se, but they're certainly interesting. The system where drop percentages are influenced by what you pick up is a terribly interesting way of implementing specialization.

Wizard's Quest, though, is something you see only rarely. It's got five spell 'shapes' and twelve base element, most of which has some status effect or extra damage type associated with it. What gets interesting, though, is that you're allowed to combine any two elements into a combined one, coming out to a total of 78 different potential spell elements. Being a roguelike, it's also viciously difficult :P

Re: Drawing spells, though, the earliest I remember seeing it was Anvil of Dawn, a '96 game. The spell descriptions in that thing were freaking awesome, too. The spore spell you can get early/start with (I don't really remember) was fairly incredible. Wish I had played it further than the end of the starting dungeon, heh, as what I did play was pretty solid. I generally can't stand the old first-person CRPG games, yeah, but I actually enjoyed what I played of Anvil.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

Yeah, playing a wizard or sorc in nwn1 was an absolute blast.
No. Sorcopal.

Sorcerer + 1 lvl of paladin. It means that all your awesome charisma bonus goes to your saving throws too, and also you can get a high "discipline". The best class (multiclass) ever in NWN.
Sorcadin?
No, it was called exactly sorcopal in all PvP clans I was in.
I never touched the nwn pvp scene.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 09:36:32 pm »

Incursion.  It's based on D&D, but with modifications.  Spells work off of mana points, as per the generic hoohah...

But then it gets interesting.  You've got all your usual bag-o'-tricks with fireballs, magic missiles, prismatic spray...   But it's also got some nice mechanics for raising the dead, you can open doors with Knock, lock doors with another spell (I've seen this spell bug out before and instead create a large line of doors in the middle of a room), polymorph (self and others), spawn forests, summon a cloud of mist to follow you around, conjure a magical floating disc to carry your belongings, enchant an item to become extremely desirable in the eyes of roaming creatures (great for cursed amulets of strangulation), turn a pebble into a food source/magic map/holy weapon/mini-golem, open a door to an alternate dimension (via an enchanted rope) that you can sleep in...

...plus a number of other things that escape me for the moment.  Also, Dispel Magic is very powerful...  Use it with extreme caution.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »

(I've seen this spell bug out before and instead create a large line of doors in the middle of a room).
Actually, that's not /wizard lock/ (which doesn't actually do anything besides shut doors from a distance, as it's bugged :(), but /wall of doors/, a separate spell. I could probably recommend Incursion as well, of course. It's not innovative per se (yet! Boss Mensch has plans, heh.), but what's there is bloody well done (often) when it's not bugged (rare enough, heh.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »

Mage Guild, no doubt.

"an alchemy system in which nearly any two items can be combined in some useful way. "

http://www.lukossoftware.com/

Cool level editor also, easy to customize. I always wanted to make a Dwarf Mage thingy, too lazy though.
I got nothing

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »

Betrayal at Krondor's magic system had the interesting twist of not having any mana to speak of...casting spells drew directly from the caster's stamina and health (stamina being extended health in this case...base stats start to deteriorate if you run out of stamina and start losing health).  It also had a large number of spells external to combat, although your in-combat spells were your typical fireballs and invisible flesh-eating critters.

KG

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »

I can't think of any games to suggest, so here's a song.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:04:55 am by Leonon »

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 03:57:44 am »

Right, not all D&D spells are rainbow pistols(with the exception of Prismatic Spray, which most certainly is ;)). You could do some pretty awesome things with spells not intended for combat if you're creative enough and the DM lets you get away with it.
Dont forget Chromatic Orb!

Also, Avencast was kind of interesting, it did have some generic stuff though.

I kinda also agree with Incursion as well, but for the most part the useful ones are the generic ones.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 04:05:26 am »

I thought it was Prismatic Orb

Oddly enough the most deadly things in existance in Dungeons and dragons are Rainbows of which the most deadly color of them all is Purple!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 04:09:19 am »

I thought it was Prismatic Orb

Oddly enough the most deadly things in existance in Dungeons and dragons are Rainbows of which the most deadly color of them all is Purple!
There was a whole line of prismatic spells.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 04:28:20 am »

Yep Prismatic Orb, Wall, and Sprey

But I was wondering if Chromatic Orb was a mistake and he meant Prismatic.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 04:37:16 am »

No, there is a spell named Chromatic Orb with some pretty awesome effects. This is the only thing I can find (with a quick google) with the name Prismatic Orb.

Edit: It was also in Bauldurs Gate, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:41:46 am by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel
Pages: 1 2 [3]