Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 1041 times)

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
what to do?
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

Hi all, I'm quite new here.

still i have been playing DF for about 4-5 months and i am starting to get tired of the embarking and starving to death or the embarking and getting bored and abandoning.

so i am here to ask what should i do in game and has anyone got any seeds for a temperate world with 2 z-levels of soil? (can be anything underground + flux stone (as i can never find any  :'( ))

:)

i have tried many projects but i always got "dwarfed" under the complexited of them / also how do i make 3d staircases going up outside?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:33:34 pm by Brandedahall »
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:51 pm »

My first suggestion is he wiki.

Then find cap'n duck's dwarf fortress video tutorial on youtube because not only does he have an awesome accent, his guide is funny and very very helpful.

I will help you out with all the problems you need help with. :)

You need to (b) (C) then choose "up stairs" or "up/down stairs" and build them out of rock or wood. Here's a helpful link: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stairs
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:11:56 pm »

thankz, i've went through the tutorials (mostly) and got past the learning curve, just some things :/

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »

thankz, i've went through the tutorials (mostly) and got past the learning curve
Know what that means? Time to start modding!
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »

modding? how so? tilesets and stuff?

also i've been a bit jeleous of you guys, it seems i have only ever had one seige and it ended horribly, (posted on other thread) and i just want something fun to happen :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:57:15 pm by Brandedahall »

i also like critisism

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »

Define "fun"?

You could modify your init.txt file so that no invasion wipe you out after the first year. Else, once you are past the "learning curve" the real game begins. Basically, choose something and learn all about it. I have been playing Df for two years, and I still have 100000 of things I want to try.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:31 pm »

I've only been playing DF for four months, and here is basically my development cycle:

1. Hear about DF, decide to try it out.
2. Epic failure ensues.
3. Some time passes, and I discover the After Action Reporter tutorial.
4. I follow the tutorial word-for-word for about 6-10 forts.
5. I start to play on my own, get a handle on things.
6. Eventually, I switch from mainly playing by myself, to mainly playing succession games.
7. Now, I'm switching from mostly playing succession games, to modding.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »

hmmm... kwl, i'm trying the fortress defence mod right now, and my definition of fun is... slaughter, i like to have a laugh at my dwarfs having wtf injuries and stuff

i also like critisism

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »

Hahaha. Nice. Good luck, man

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

thnkz, i might post pics of my fort once, it/they are dead :)

i also like critisism

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »

Successfully survived a siege?

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:23 pm »

either survive or have my fortress murdered historically

i also like critisism

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »

Good choices. :)

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:25:08 am »

well... the defence mod is... "fun" i had one guy in the military before THEY showed up (cheetah men and frogmen) together, and killed my entire fortress. the one military guy was wielding a platinum mace, named Thumthun, well i definatly had "thun"

i also like critisism