Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somewhat Specific World_Gen Requests...  (Read 979 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Somewhat Specific World_Gen Requests...
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:38 pm »

I don't suppose anyone has a set of world_gen parameters, preferably 129x129 or smaller, that contains one or more embarks with a Volcano & River/Stream/Brook within a 2x2 or 3x3 embark zone with cliffs?

or other good Obsidian or Magma/Glass farming (at start) embarks? (I have the one from the "Finding a Flat Volcano" thread, but what I'm really after is a volcano in a mountain, near a river).

TIA for any assistance.

FYI, I'm using .31.12, so I doubt 40d param sets would have the same results.

EDIT1: Coastal Volcano embarks would be good too.

EDIT2: I neglected to mention that I am also picky enough I only embark where I have contact with all 4 races (I'm not up to really challenging/FUN embarks yet).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:38:40 pm by JAFANZ »

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat Specific World_Gen Requests...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

I am on one right now but the smallest it could be is 4x1 to have:
volcano, stream, cliff with loads of gold, all 4 races in order (dwarves, elves, goblins, humans)

I'll load the spec up tomorrow if you like  :)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:55:40 pm »

Might I re-direct your attention to a little utility called Perfect World?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:00:47 am »

Dendou: Thank you, but my system isn't great (Turion 64 x2 @ 1.66Ghz, 1.8GiB RAM, WinXPPro), so the largest embark I'm willing to try is 4x4, & that only if it's required to get volcano in one of the central squares with the infinite surface water supply in the furthest corner from it (thus the requirement they be within 3x3 of each other). My intention is actually to build the initial surface portion of my fortress on or around the volcano, or on a coastal embark, the water, out of Obsidian or Glass.

existent: I haven't been able to get Perfect world to generate usable World_Gen settings (as in, out of 30+ different param sets, I've had _1_ that reject the 1st 2400+ worlds & tell me it needed new settings).

But thank you both for the suggestions.

Edit2: Thank you existent, that thread looks excellent (the very 1st post has a world I need to gen I think).  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:08:01 am by JAFANZ »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:05:18 am »

In that case, I think you want this thread.

Ah, nevermind, it seems that thread never really made it into DF2010. 'Tis a shame. Somebody really should start a 0.31.xx worldgen cookbook thread. *winkwinknudgenudge*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:11:09 am by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:41 am »

I have not seen costal volcanos in a couple versions.  neither have i seen combinations of volcano and stream/river.  The best I've found (since whichever version removed minor volcanos, the kind that didnt show up as ^ on the world map, but only as double~ on the region map) is a volcano near a brook.

Whenever I've gotten plenty of volcanos that look like they should be on the coast, but there is never a water-edge on their region tile.  the actual beach is always the next tile over, in what the world-map displays as ocean.  This makes me sad, as it used to be possible.

Glacier volcanos are possible, though.  Might want to try that out.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:45 am »

puke: Ah. Pity about the coastal volcanos, I wanted to try emptying one into the ocean to see if I could build a slab of obsidian down to the ocean floor...

existent: yeah, I just noticed that too... & it's a good idea about the new Cookbook thread, I'll do it in a minute if I don't get ninja'd.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:43 am »

Coastal volcanoes are definitely still possible. They are all I ever embark on.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!