Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 101290 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:06 am »

Apologies if this belongs elsewhere (but I don't really see how it could), but it has been suggested in my other World_Gen thread that the "World Gen Cookbook" idea needs to be resurrected & updated to DF2010, & I agree.

I'm hoping we can use this as a place to request & share world_gen param sets that fulfill the embark desires of players who, like myself, are excessively picky (I'm just learning the game, I want to start easy, then get to the FUN <to be followed by the HFS, yes I read the wiki>).

At the moment I'm looking for an embark Volcano in close proximity to "infinite water", with the Volcano in a Hill/Cliff (i.e. not a Flat map, which is what all the other such threads seem to be looking for).

Assistance will be (& is) appreciated.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:09 am »

This is exactly what you didn't ask for, but you said other people were looking so...

Original thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60021.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Flat Terrain
  • Adjacent brook and volcano (the volcano is flat as well)
  • Sediment, Flux and granite
  • Mussels for shells
  • New once-per-region-tile HFS
  • No sand

So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:25 am »

I wasn't looking for this because I already had a Good Flat Volcano gen from another thread, but I'm hoping this thread will become a generic thread for anyone & everyone so your offerring is appreciated muchly.

Also, you are correct about this one being Awesome & it will supercede the other one in my world_gen as soon as I finish this post.  ;D

Thank you.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:36:58 am »

As someone who's spent a ton of time trying different volcano embarks, I can tell you that finding a volcano that overlaps with a coal-bearing layer is EXTREMELY rare - you can find them, but the odds are at least many hundreds to one against (probably more like 1000 to 1).

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:53:34 am »

Maybe something could be added here ?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:17:30 am »

Well, hopefully we'll get some pre-gens people are willing to upload to the DFFD pre-gen section, but I am uncomfortable doing that with other peoples work.

& it's probably not worth mentioning this thread on the wiki until there's more to it.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:23:11 am »

The area from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63144.0
  • Volcano
  • Cliffs
  • Sand
  • Brook
  • Trees
  • 3 Layers of Caverns
  • Sedimentary Flux
  • All types of rock, and apparently over 10k units of *spoilerrock*

Is there any wonder I chose it for the game? ;)
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:14:24 am »

Not really any wonder, no.

But I wasn't able to generate a world from the params I got by exporting from the save. :(

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:40 pm »

Not really any wonder, no.

But I wasn't able to generate a world from the params I got by exporting from the save. :(

Heh, it kept telling you it couldn't place volcanoes/rivers/etcetcetc?

When it does that, just tell it to ignore all warnings and gen the world anyway. The worldgen has more rivers and volcanoes to be placed than can be placed, but if all warnings are ignored it still creates a perfectly usable world.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »

Thank you, much appreciated.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »

even by cranking volcanos up and ignoring warnings, i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?

or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?  possibly with a waterfall or joining river?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:52:37 pm »

If you just want Rivers & Waterfalls, take a look at "Blackspire": http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2688

If you want it to have a Volcano I'm stuck, though I could've sworn I saw something reasonable recently, I think it was on the world from "Crazy Rivers" (but not that specific site): http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2680
NB: I tend to increase Civs to the nearest value evenly divisible by 8, & volcanos to 200, these do change the rest of the results too (i.e.  It's not actually the same world output).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:17:59 am »

even by cranking volcanos up and ignoring warnings, i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?

or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?  possibly with a waterfall or joining river?

I expect it's just a matter of luck, I get little volcanic islands by the dozens - I'm sure it comes down to just rolling enough times and you'll eventually get one on the mainland that's adjacent to ocean.  It may help to play around in PerfectWorld and come up with a map that has a whole lot of coast.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:58 am »

Volcanic Islands are gimme. If you have Oceans & Volcanos, odds are you have volcanic islands, which may or may not have the volcano tile in proximity to a water tile.

Continental Coastal Volcanos OTOH, well I have yet to see one within a reasonable embark of the Water (probably nothing less than 6 tiles).

Note: The advantage of a Continental Volcano over an Island one is that I have also yet to see an Island that has contact with non-dwarven Civs.

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:18 am »

This is my current game I'm playing. There is infinite water... but you have to go to the caverns to get it; or play an extra long embark with the river to the west. Three cavern Layers. Volcano. Steep Mountainside. Tons of surface ponds/lakes. Tons of trees.

Sand
Limestone
Marble
Gabbro
Slate
Gneiss
Quartzite
Granite

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:32:08 am by flatlander »
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29