Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 101277 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2011, 05:47:58 pm »

Does anyone have a map embark (0.31.25) with:
  • Lots of wood
  • Volcano
  • River (Preferibly a major river)
  • Sand
  • Metal (Don't really care what as long as it's something)
I'm trying to start a megaproject...

Edit: I'd prefer 4x4 or so - my computer fails dealing with DF anyways (Insert petty complaint about DF, optimizations, 64 bit processors, and multiprocessor support, or rather the lack thereof, here) without "huge" embarks...

Edit2: Also, preferably non-freezing, if possible... Also, my spelling fails.

Edit3: Correction: my spelling fails epicly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:54:33 pm by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 30, 2011, 06:51:05 pm »

Check the worldgen docs on the wiki. Basically you need very low rainfall and high drainage, or something like that. There's no way to create a world that's 100% desert that has a playable race in it without modding races though because all of the default races require forest, hills, grassland, or mountains. (Actually maybe goblins can occur in an evil desert....)

Ah, thank you, my good sir.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »

What worldgen settings (if any) don't affect the geometry of the world? So if you have setting x and you gen a world, then you tweak the setting and regen the world (with the same seed) it will be pretty much the same world? Sorry that this is probably pretty much impossible to understand...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »

I know what you mean, but I'm unsure of the answer. I've genned a number of worlds with the main seed set to 1 and have ended up with vastly different-looking worlds, but I changed a lot of parameters and am unsure which ones may have had an effect. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to do what you want short of maybe using the world painter. From what I've heard, the same exact parameters, seeds and all, can end up generating different worlds in different versions of the game.

This may have to do with each phase of random world generation using different numbers of values out of the pseudorandom number stream as parameters are changed (for example, if you change the mesh size maybe), so later phases end up starting at different points in the pseudorandom stream depending on how many values the previous phases "used up".

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 02, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »

Don't forget rejections. The same generator is used for the entire generation process. If more or less rejections happen, you'll get a different world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 09, 2011, 06:11:49 pm »

Has anyone found a small tropical island?
By small, I mean able to fit entirely in a smallish embark. Coast-to-coast, 3 or maybe 4 embark tiles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »

What worldgen settings (if any) don't affect the geometry of the world? So if you have setting x and you gen a world, then you tweak the setting and regen the world (with the same seed) it will be pretty much the same world? Sorry that this is probably pretty much impossible to understand...

I'm pretty sure "Embark Points" doesn't affect the world generated(/RNG).

I'm less sure about the NoExotics & no Aquifers mods many people (including me) use.

Modding Civ Ethics & Weapons does, but I'm not sure if it's one or both of them.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:42 pm »

By small, I mean able to fit entirely in a smallish embark. Coast-to-coast, 3 or maybe 4 embark tiles.
You might be able to accomplish this by setting the mesh size to something like 4x4, then weighting the elevation to something like 1-20=15  40-60=4  and the others being one. Also set the elevation variance to the max. Hopefully that will give you some above-water elevations right next to below-water elevations.

Make sure to null out most of the rejection parameters, especially for mountains.

These values are just guesses, but the parameters should get you on the right track. You will probably need to play with elevations more, but the key is to increase the weighting for the 1-20 range to get lots of ocean, and increase the variability so you get lots of high next to low elevations. You may also need to set the mesh size to 2x2 if the islands are too big.

Check the docs on the wiki to get an idea of how mesh size works. Please post your parameters if you get something you like because other people will probably also want to use them.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

Here is flat volcanic/river embark for .25.

It has a variety of metals including iron and a fair amount of gold. Flux is available but you will have to dig quite far down to get to it. I guess the surroundings will vary from computer to computer so you might find your embark in anything from Serene to terrifying.

Embark Location
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

World Gen Parameters

Minerals (on the 4x4 embark)

Could you upload the save? I've genned that world a few times and it always places the volcano in the lower left mountains.

Here is flat volcanic/river embark for .25.

It has a variety of metals including iron and a fair amount of gold. Flux is available but you will have to dig quite far down to get to it. I guess the surroundings will vary from computer to computer so you might find your embark in anything from Serene to terrifying.

May I have the save file for that? Many attempts at generation have all been for nought!

Hi, sorry I've taken so long to answer you but I haven't been around.

I have two versions of Dwarf Fortress, one with Mayday tiles and one with Phoebus. When I generate this with the Mayday version it appears as posted but when I do it with the other, it appears as you describe, it is strange. :o

I will try to find a place to upload the game then post the link here for you.

Edit: Here you go, just switch out the raws and replace with whatever tileset you wish to use.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4505
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:01:31 pm by Sir Crashalot »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 10, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »

You might be able to accomplish this by setting the mesh size to something like 4x4, then weighting the elevation to something like 1-20=15  40-60=4  and the others being one. Also set the elevation variance to the max. Hopefully that will give you some above-water elevations right next to below-water elevations.

Make sure to null out most of the rejection parameters, especially for mountains.

These values are just guesses, but the parameters should get you on the right track. You will probably need to play with elevations more, but the key is to increase the weighting for the 1-20 range to get lots of ocean, and increase the variability so you get lots of high next to low elevations. You may also need to set the mesh size to 2x2 if the islands are too big.

Check the docs on the wiki to get an idea of how mesh size works. Please post your parameters if you get something you like because other people will probably also want to use them.
I mean, an embark surrounded by water on all of all four sides.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

Yes, that's what I was describing how to do. Something like that should result in a few islands of the right size.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 26, 2011, 06:10:32 pm »

Here is another flat volcano/river embark for .25.

It isn't hugely different from the last one but my experiences playing it (and the fact that this thread is too quiet) led me to posting it anyway.  :P

It has plentiful minerals though the first few layers are rather spartan, but no flux so you will have to make do with iron until you access the better stuff. Sand is available on this map.

I found this to be very fps friendly compared to other maps I have played and it stayed between 90 & 100 (limit) until an ambush in year 3 which dropped me to 66 from then on. (perhaps an avoidable bug?)

The main reason I am posting this is because I have had some interesting encounters in the 5 years I have had this running with two visits from Dragons and two visits from Titans. Also have been getting ambushes and sieges from Goblins a plenty, probably because I built the fort and all it's furniture from the natural Obsidian deposits and pushed its value up prematurely.

There are only three Dwarf civilisations to choose from but The Lens of Waxing is a dead civ so make sure to choose one of the other two before embarking if you want to get the King etc.

Anyhoo... here's the world gen parameters for those who may be interested.

Here is the embark location.

Pregenerated world can be downloaded here.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4572
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:22:23 pm by Sir Crashalot »

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 27, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »

another flat volcano, a tiny cave-in on embark which reveals some caves

embark location (2x5 fortress in my case in the upper-left corner)

dfprospector

worldgen

The mineral scarcity values can be adjusted prior to generating the world to produce highly varying results without changing the geography. It will not change the type of layers of stone, however.
Another fun thing I found is when you embark somewhere near the oceanside on a flattish world it sometimes reveals the first level of caverns from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:38:27 pm by ffaerie »

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »

Yet another flat volcano embark.

Plenty of trees, untamed wilds/wilderness, flux stone and river. But the most important thing is the abundance of iron and coal. Around 12000 limonite and an equal amount of lignite should last for some time, no? There's a 27 z-level high peak in the southeast of the map.

There is an aquifer under the river, but you can mod that out if you wish.

Embark location:

dfprospector output:

world gen information:

Enjoy!
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2011, 06:44:38 pm »

How can you find the seeds for a world? I've found a really, really nice spot:

Flat glacier with a rising volcano in one corner 53 levels high. However, the mountain only takes up one quarter of the screen horizontally and half the screen vertically (that is, in the y-direction). The glacier is one tile thick, allowing easy farming. It's nearly the perfect non-flat volcano-glacier combo, except that the mountain extends one embark tile too far vertically.

It also has trade with humans and elves, and there are plenty of goblins around.

Also, if anyone can find a similar place, except that the mountain doesn't go  far, please tell me. Especially if the mountain has less ice in it...
=Uncool-
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29