Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surface constructions affecting level below terrain  (Read 999 times)

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surface constructions affecting level below terrain
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

One the surface I have snow covered yellow sand, and atop that I've built some walls. On the next z level down, the layer is just yellow sand. On the areas directly below the surface constructions, the yellow sand has changed to green grass. I've even got tress now growing underground.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Surface constructions affecting level below terrain
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

This is a known bug. Constructed floors or walls don't count for determining if an area is underground, and if you build them on top of natural floors the constructed floor/wall overwrites the natural floor.

If you want constructed walls above ground over the rest of your fortress you either have to live with some areas below being seen as above-ground or leave natural walls on the level below the constructed walls.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

so does this mean my "limestone hut with a sandy basement" from 33a would become a "limestone hut with a basement that is now covered in grass"?
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

This bug is actually pretty nice on glacial maps, where you can start growing trees underground without the river.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.