Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Odd purple tint.  (Read 1856 times)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd purple tint.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

Well, if it's enabled by default, it's broken. My fonts are NOT anti-aliased (by any method). Nor are any fonts on any _2000_ machine I have ever worked on. Maybe it's just my eyes are really bad?

'Course, first thing I do on a 2k machine is delete 'MicrosoftSound.wav', and then disable a bunch of stuff, including web folders and active desktop. So perhaps, it is disabled, perhaps just the option is disabled, whatever. It really doesn't matter.

Whatever, I have real work to do, and I am gonna do it.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

If you would stop trying to attack me for a second and look you would see that I am not your enemy, I am trying to help you, jeez.

Or why do you think I have been taking time out of my day posting here explaining things?  Sorry, but the opinion of some anonymous person on the internet I never met isn't that important to me, helping people is.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

Was I attacking? Heh, that's just me. I am just  stating what I have experienced. Perhaps I have misinterpreted my experiences but they do not coincide with what you are telling me that I should have experienced.

It's all good. Internet communication can be so... shaky.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

Is this the point where you two try to meet in person? ;-)

I wasn't actually referring to font-smoothing, but something else entirely.  Font smoothing is just anti-aliasing.  I have font-smoothing enabled on my computer and I don't get the stray pixels designed to make the graphics crisper.  I'm referring more to this sort of thing:

When I scale down the image and rescale the image upwards in Paint, the grey background gains some additional colours that weren't even in the original picture: you can see the grey has been given a cyan tinge in order to better distinguish the red.  In true-colour images, with contrasting true-colour objects (e.g., a brown tree trunk in a grassy field), the effect looks very good, but in logo-type images, the effect looks terrible.

Some video drivers (I imagine OpenGL drivers in this case) and programs do this automatically to smooth out the display of some 2D graphics.

[ March 24, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

I always turn off texture compression in my videocards.  Rather, I have never seen any with it on by default... then again I never deal with integrated cards like the intel extreme crap chips et al.  Whenever a client of mine wanted to run 3D anything I always built or upgraded them with discrete graphics cards.
Pages: 1 [2]