Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Anal Rituals  (Read 20110 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Rituals
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »

If I build roads, I make them out of metal. Any metal will do, but especially if it's a precious metal, and even better if its an alloy.

I try to impose my will on the surroundings as much as possible, so any passers by would know in a heartbeat that 'here there be dwarfs.'

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2010, 11:23:09 pm »

For me, it would have to be something that everyone should do.
Failsafes and backup/redundant systems.
No exceptions.

5z tall reservoir? I have a spare.
10x30 farm? spare.
automatically filling well from the reservoir? 1z above the floodgate is a bridge that closes when the floodgate opens to refill it.

Yes, my forts turn into a very nice, yet very complicated automatons. Almost like an underground version of Castle Heterodyne, including all of the deathtraps, everywhere.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17:20 am »

For me, it would have to be something that everyone should do.
Failsafes and backup/redundant systems.
No exceptions.

5z tall reservoir? I have a spare.
10x30 farm? spare.
automatically filling well from the reservoir? 1z above the floodgate is a bridge that closes when the floodgate opens to refill it.

Yes, my forts turn into a very nice, yet very complicated automatons. Almost like an underground version of Castle Heterodyne, including all of the deathtraps, everywhere.

Castle heterodyne is epic win :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2010, 11:37:25 am »

It began to get ridiculous when I got more champions. There are very few synonyms for "Impaler".
Well...
Goblin-skewerer
Goblin-lancer
Goblin-poler
Goblin-piercer
Goblin-hoister (Look, she's a flag on me spear!)
Goblin-spearer

(grabs thesaurus help)
Goblin-staker
Goblin-transfixer
Goblin-spiker
Goblin-empaler
Goblin-shanker
Goblin-shivver
more: perforate, pierce, prick, puncture, run through, skewer, skiver, stick
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:05 am »

Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Whenever I designate trees to be chopped I disable hauling on my woodcutters then reenable it after they chop down all of said trees.

How about disabling the wood hauling for the entire fort for the duration of the cutting? (and disallowing most haulings when there's 15 dwarves in the hospital)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:51 am »

Sigged. I LOL'd.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »

I always build an above-ground tower and fill it with gem windows and sculptures. I don't know WHY, it's just a dumb thing I like to do. I also like to build underground wells, and many of my forts die when these don't work out as planned.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

I build my forts with as many planes of symmetry as possible, down to the placement of the stairs, and have been working on making the core of the fort as small as possible. Beyond that, I build as many trap-filled corridors with as much automation as possible. It's not out of the question for me to have fivefold redundancy on my entry corridor sections, each of which will seal itself off, flood itself with magma, drain itself, then open itself to be cleaned should a goblin reach the pressure plate at the end. Five of these corridor quintets in sequence form the first rung of my defenses. At the end of the gauntlet of goblin blenders and fluid traps following those, my entire fort core is suspended over magma from supports that will collapse should a non-citizen manage to reach any of the staircases leading down into the fort corners.

Naturally, this fort core has eight redundant backups arrayed in a 3x3 box. Each is also surrounded by magma until the previous fort core is terminated (which automatically drains the magma from the entryways into the next core), and stocked with a married pair of dwarves and a cache of supplies (and farmland) so they can live out the automated obsidian farm recasting the destroyed fort core(s) and go dig them out.

I'm paranoid-anal.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:28:14 pm by Trekkin »

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »

I ritually dont use cheats like the atomsmasher.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

I attempt to build above ground a lot. Every time I do, I try to make everything out of the same stone. I usually give up partway through and just use whatever stone the material selector lands on first.

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2010, 11:39:55 pm »

I always insist my starting area be the same, with little variation -- A mountainous region, a wooded reagion, and a river or brook, preferably one flowing in a chasm.
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:59 pm »

Chasm?  somebody needs to download the new version.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:34 pm »

I always use the compact bedroom design where each dwarf gets 1 bed in a 1x4 room. I also smooth and engraved every flood and wall that my dwarf walk through often.

I also use this stair design for every level that I want to branch out from the stairs. It's great in case I want to split them up and make 2 separate stair case that have no connection to each other.

DDDDDDD
DDXXXDD
DXXXXXD
DXYXYXD
DXXXXXD
DDXXXDD
DDDDDDD

D = rock
X = Floor
Y= Up/Down stairs

Rose

• Bay Watcher