Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Email compromised, steps to take?  (Read 5531 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: Email compromised, steps to take?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 04:05:10 am »

You should probably change any password to other websites that were setup through that email address, you don't need this spilling over into the rest of your digilife.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 04:58:55 am »

HJS came up with a ton of "File Missing" reports...which doesn't make me feel good, but isn't didn't raise any immediate red flags.
If your files are missing, then something most likely took them. Like Hotmail's plaintext password storage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »

Try to avoid using the same password for everything. It's rather possible that you signed up for an account somewhere using your e-mail and the same password, and that's how it was compromised.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »

Never have the same email password as the one you use to set up other accounts.  If your email is compramised (shady site that doesn't encrypt password, etc.) a hacker can easily tell what other accounts you have based on the notification emails you have.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »

I closed my hotmail account. Changing the password apparently did not do the trick. Ah well. It has high time I moved to a more secure email provider. Just sucks, having to go back to 10 different forums and sites to re-register a valid email.

Anyways, thanks for the posts. Thread locked. (Schwa-ching!)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]