Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: SpuneDagr has begun a mysterious construction...  (Read 17507 times)

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpuneDagr has begun a mysterious construction...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »

It's Minas Tirith.

The walls will mostly be made of granite. I just don't think I can actually FIND enough marble for the whole thing.
The outer wall will be made of obsidian (the book says it's of the same material as Orthanc, which is not explicitly named)

To my great shame, the rocky spur is not entirely natural. I'm building it up and out from rough blocks, the same material as my cliffs.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »

You should have done Erebor.

Traitor.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:13 pm »

I have a suggestion for a catacombs labyrinth which you can use for the secondary entrance filled with traps!

Here it is:

If you can grid that, it's 50x50.

You should totally do it 50x50x7 with stairs at the ends.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 02:53:35 am »

That maze will so be my new design for living quarters in my next fortress. Also, god damn, this project sounds awesome. I can't contribute uch other than that I can't wait for some Stonesense screenshots; this thing is going to be immense.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:07 am »

So, it doesn't look good in Stonesense AT ALL. I wish there was a zoom-out feature, 'cause you can't see enough of it at once.  :(
I gave DFize a try, but it, uh, needs some work to be usable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:55:13 am by SpuneDagr »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:07 pm »

So, it doesn't look good in Stonesense AT ALL. I wish there was a zoom-out feature, 'cause you can't see enough of it at once.  :(
in before Japa pops in to say that you can take screenshots of the whole fortress. I don't know exactly how, though.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

The only problem with mazes in this game is that the only thing you're making work is the pathfinding algorithm, which is effectively omniscient. It's not like the invaders are going to go down the dead ends.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:20 pm »

The only problem with mazes in this game is that the only thing you're making work is the pathfinding algorithm, which is effectively omniscient. It's not like the invaders are going to go down the dead ends.
No, you're missing the point, I think. Either that, or I am.

What I understood was that you grid it, and then ONLY dig the path along the red line. You get this cool winding passage. At least, that's what I thought he meant. Digging out the whole thing does, indeed, seem pointless.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:20 pm »

in before Japa pops in to say that you can take screenshots of the whole fortress. I don't know exactly how, though.
!

I would very much like to know how this is done.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »

Unless you're having the space between rings really narrow, you're going to need a very large map for this.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »

My embark point is 5x5: about 250 tiles square.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »

Seeing as you have a 5 by 5, that'll give you roughly 20 tiles of space between rings assuming 10 tiles distance from map edges and 2 tile thick walls (which you'll have in certain areas). I'd have gone with a bigger embark for more space or just for the hell of it, but it's your project.

Good luck.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 04:44:18 am »

At the top of the look-out tower you need to have some way of setting alight a bin full of lignite, then you actually do set it on fire when ever there is a siege.

You could probably have a small magma reservoir in the 'attic' of the tower and a pump stack to get it there just above the lignite.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 08:38:52 am »

Seeing as you have a 5 by 5, that'll give you roughly 20 tiles of space between rings assuming 10 tiles distance from map edges and 2 tile thick walls (which you'll have in certain areas). I'd have gone with a bigger embark for more space or just for the hell of it, but it's your project.

Good luck.

Yes, looking back I should have left more room around the edges. But I'm a good 40 hours into it now. Damned if I'm gonna start over.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 10:22:48 am »

It's for you to come back to it as an adventurer, or if he wants to hand out the finished map so others can see the thing's glory, for other player's adventurers.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5