Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: SpuneDagr has begun a mysterious construction...  (Read 17504 times)

Magio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: SpuneDagr has begun a mysterious construction...
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 11:06:27 am »

This is amazing. Do want.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:33 pm »

So, it doesn't look good in Stonesense AT ALL. I wish there was a zoom-out feature, 'cause you can't see enough of it at once.  :(
I gave DFize a try, but it, uh, needs some work to be usable.
in before Japa pops in to say that you can take screenshots of the whole fortress. I don't know exactly how, though.
!

I would very much like to know how this is done.
ctrl+f5
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 02:41:24 pm »

Oh my, so beautiful, I wanna see this if you really get it done. The biggest thing I have ever done is about half that size.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:46 am »

Here's a screenshot from Stonesense. Work continues.
http://imgur.com/5w5oS.jpg

I just recovered from a tantrum spiral that claimed about 80 lives. My design calls for a tomb complex built behind the city, in a rift in the mountain. The tombs were a low priority for me - I just wanted to finish the city proper, then go back and do details, like buildings and the Silent Street. So, apparently dwarves don't like it when you pile their dead in a heap, telling mourners they'll be buried, "Perhaps in two or three years."

Several workers fell from the top of the spur, plunging 300 feet to their death (just like Denethor in the movie!) Countless cave-ins, where I didn't probably plan the removal of scaffolding, attacks from goblins, mad dwarves, surgeries conducted without tables or soap  -  all have taken their toll. A big project like this sure forces you to learn every bit of the game, though.

I had no idea hospitals needed tables next to beds.  :(

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:54 am »

I can't say how delighted I am with this!  8)

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:19 pm »

How big is your embark? I attempted to make something similarly large but my fps was ruined. It could have been all those rocks though.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

5x5. About 250 tiles square. I regularly and constantly dump huge piles of stone in a quantum stockpile. Thus far the FPS is playable, unless I pause, and assign a ton of different jobs all at once.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:33:45 pm »

Yeah, pathfinding is currently the largest drain.

Use at least 3 wide hallways (as few one tiles as possible; they are the bane of good FPS) and ramps instead of stairs.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:49 pm »

The only problem with mazes in this game is that the only thing you're making work is the pathfinding algorithm, which is effectively omniscient. It's not like the invaders are going to go down the dead ends.
No, you're missing the point, I think. Either that, or I am.

What I understood was that you grid it, and then ONLY dig the path along the red line. You get this cool winding passage. At least, that's what I thought he meant. Digging out the whole thing does, indeed, seem pointless.

I dig the larger side passages out too. I add male cats for bait in the sidepaths, though, so gobbos still go down them, and they aren't there just to make it look cool.

Course, I don't designate it all at once. Then the miners are running around your maze like crazy. And if you do designate more than just the red part you find more gems.

And I smooth the main path, that way I don't get lost.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:07:41 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 01:00:01 pm »

Ok, I'm curious, how did you find a 30z cliff face without using a volcano? My tallest embarkable mountains only go up to 8 or 9. If I'm lucky.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

Wow, that site is nearly perfect! I've been looking for a perfect site for a minas tirith project myself.

Are you planning to do the White Tree?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 03:13:09 pm »

Ok, I'm curious, how did you find a 30z cliff face without using a volcano? My tallest embarkable mountains only go up to 8 or 9. If I'm lucky.
I'd rather have a cliff without ramps. The normal DF mountains look like friggin hills.

And just look at the cliff indicator at embark.

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 03:20:57 pm »

To get a nice high cliff, I played with the world gen settings. Lowlands 50, midlands 0, highlands 50, super highlands 50. Made plains and mountains more common, and swamps and seas less common.

I'm pretty sure growing a real white tree at the top of the fort is impossible. It's technically part of the mountain biome, so no plants grow there. I'm going to pave the top with olivine to look like grass and just put a statue up there. If I'm lucky, they'll carve a statue of a tree.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 02:25:42 am »

While I respect your work and wish you well Barad-dur is far more dwarfy/bad ass

SpuneDagr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:10 am »

I actually want to do a Barad Dur homage for my next fort. I picked Minas Tirith because it's so well-documented, and I find its symmetry and geometry appealing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5