Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where would you be without Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2805 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you be without Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:38:40 am »

I'd be just another new guy on the internet. This forum has taught the wonders of the world wide web.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:37 am »

In a padded cell.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »

In a padded cell.
This is not unlikely.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 04:57:51 pm »

In a padded cell.
I never thought Dwarf Fortress would help anyone keep their sanity.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

A little less happy, a little less hopeful, a little less busy.

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »

The only way to describe my thoughts on this topic is basically that life is sort of like a giant pachinko machine, in which even the tiniest vibration can alter where the ball ultimately falls. So I don't really know where I would be without DF's presence, since I have no clue where along the line it made its tiny vibrations, and have no clue what tiny vibrations would have replaced those without it. To say nothing of whatever I might have picked up lurking the forums.

That said, if I had to hazard a guess, I'm not sure things would have really changed much at all. Just one less thing nibbling away at my time on and off, and one less forum to lurk.

That might change in a while.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 07:23:40 pm »

I don't know why, but I can't play the same PC game for more than two weeks.
DF is the only PC game that I played for 1 year without big interruptions(I mean stop playing because I think that it's not cool enough).
So, I think that without DF, I should be looking for another game to get addicted...

Sorry for the bad english ^^

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »

Dwarf fortress was originally conceived as something with enough depth for the developer to be able to have fun playing it. It has much more replay value than any other game I know of. It's really something amazing.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »

I probably wouldn't be in uni right now. DF was my inspiration to get into game development.

kenji_03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 12:39:14 am »

To be honest, Dwarf Fortress has actually changed my life.  The concept of "strange moods" gave me pause when I first encountered it.  After quite a bit of thought I realized that it is true of humans too.  We get a great idea that would define us as a person, and if we are motivated to do it we will be happy forever.  If we fail, we don't care about anything anymore and get one of the random negative moods.

If you want further proof of this, look at Ted Kaczynski (unibomber).  He was trying to think of some way to reshape society, but as his capacity to "work" failed, he went "berserk".

This isn't to say the concept of "strange moods" alone did it, as my background in Sociology, Philosophy, and Psychology also played important roles.  With that being said however, I know I wouldn't be seeing it in the same way without Dwarf Fortress and it's "strange moods"

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 04:32:33 am »

I wouldn't have just put ""Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"" into my work diary.
I'm bugfixing :P
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:48 pm »

Terribly bored, as I might not have found many of the other games I frequent if I hadn't been exposed to them through DF community members. :-\

...I'd still dislike elves. Not to the same degree though.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »

I might still play elves in ADOM. Now I know just how worthless they are. I managed to win ADOM with a drakeling necromancer.

On a more serious note, I'd probably suffer from (far worse) depression because really the only thing I look forward to these days is DF. Well I suppose it is a reason to bother going on.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »

Without DF, surely by now I'd have completed my PhD in Horribleness

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »

In a padded cell.
That's me as well. DF kept me from going mad with boredom/stress through a year of organic chemistry; I'd have given up completely and gone half-catatonic like most of my friends but for this as an outlet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3