Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured goblins  (Read 1669 times)

microwavedapple

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Captured goblins
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:08 pm »

So I've managed to capture several goblins in cages, and I'm now wondering how do I get my dwarves to butcher them mercilessly so I can free up some cages. Also, to take their stuff, do I need to wait until after they've been killed and how do I do it?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captured goblins
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:34 pm »

My advice would be to either build a tower with a hole in it or dig a deep pit, and make an animal stockpile that only accepts goblins surround the hole. Make the hole a pit, and when you want to kill a goblin (which is the only way to get their stuff) set them to be tossed into the pit. Make sure the goblin you're pitting is one of the ones surrounding the hole. If a dwarf has to move the goblin even one tile they'll get spooked, drop the goblin, and then you will have that to deal with.

Like this, with A=animal stockpile and P=pit...
Code: [Select]
AAA
APA
AAA

EDIT:Oh, and you'll want it to be more than four z-levels high. I don't know how many levels tall it needs to be for the fall to be fatal, but I know from personal experience that four isn't enough. On the bright side, if the fall doesn't kill them initially they'll die from infection. Again, personal experience.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:08:34 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »

You can take their stuff now. 

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Captured_creatures

Use mass-designations to mark the cage for dumping, then manually un-mark the cage for dumping.  This removes all the goblin's weapons.

Now, you can basically set up the cage to a lever, and use naked goblins as target practice for your military dwarves.  For more advanced courses, you can let them keep their armor before siccing your military on them.

Other than that, just dispose of them or keep them naked in the zoo for children to poke with sticks.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:16:12 pm »

Hmmmm. Sometimes I worry that, in trying to be helpful, I am ruining people with false information.

Sorry 'bout that.

NW: I am excited because I did not know that was something one could do.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Ceaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:21:17 pm »

My personal favorite way to get rid of captured gobbos is to use them for archery practice. Throw their cages in a small room in/next to your archery barracks with fortifications or vertical bars for walls then lock the door and release using a lever. Half of my archers have been given titles because of this.

microwavedapple

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »

Thanks guys.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:04:05 am »

My personal favorite way to get rid of captured gobbos is to use them for archery practice. Throw their cages in a small room in/next to your archery barracks with fortifications or vertical bars for walls then lock the door and release using a lever. Half of my archers have been given titles because of this.

Oooooo, I like this one!  I'll have to try something like that if the occasion arises. :D
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:10:30 am »

Oooooo, I like this one!  I'll have to try something like that if the occasion arises. :D

It gives them better exp. than regular target practice as well.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:23:05 am »

Build the cage in the Barracks, connect it to a lever, close the doors while your squad is training and release the goblin in full armor and with his weapon. If you are lucky you generate some work for your health staff.