Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Map Archive  (Read 6901 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
DF Map Archive
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:11:40 pm »

First things first: I hate the incompatibility of macs.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a map uploaded to the DF Map Archive. So I downloaded DF map compressor. And that says I need to download Mono for it to work.

Well, there's like 6 different versions of Mono, and after reading the descriptions, I think I'm now less sure which one I'm supposed to use. Can anyone tell me which one I actually have to download to make the compressor actually work? Or even better, is there a simple way to do this? I am not a programmer and don't like doing this kind of thing unless I have to.

Since this site doesn't show off post counts, there's really no reason to tell me to use Windows. So if you were thinking of doing that, go somewhere else.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: DF Map Archive
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

I was about to recommend you try Wine (a windows emulator for Linux, I believe it works on Mac OS as well), but I'm not really sure if that'd be any easier... you'd still have to install some runtime libraries...

I duno... not a mac user myself. I'd say try one, if it doesn't work uninstall and try another... post your results...

Someone can probably give better advice than this...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »

Get Windows  :P

I'm a Windows user myself, but I googled Mono, and it sounds like it's simply a  .NET framework for Mac, so you should just download the OSX version (assuming you have OSX) and you're ready to go. I think.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »

It sounds like his problem is that thre's more than one version/release of Mono (to lazy to Google, but I've heard of it before, I believe it's aimed at any Unix-derivative (MacOS X, Linux, *BSD))

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:35:49 pm »

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:43:11 pm »

I was about to recommend you try Wine (a windows emulator for Linux, I believe it works on Mac OS as well), but I'm not really sure if that'd be any easier... you'd still have to install some runtime libraries...

I duno... not a mac user myself. I'd say try one, if it doesn't work uninstall and try another... post your results...

Someone can probably give better advice than this...

I tried Wine once. It's more complicated than DF.

Here's the site I was redirected to to get Mono - http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »

Just because I know where do download it doesn't mean I know what to download  :P

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:16 am »

hit "downoad", click the box for Mac OS X, under "Mono 2.6.7" click the link for your architecture (PowerPC or Intel) or try the "universal"
get the "framework" not the "CSDK"

after that, i'm afraid you're on your own on installing the .dmg package. maybe trying to open the file will start an installer/package manager?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:24:25 am »

You can always email Markavian for help. He doesn't check Bay12 much (if ever) any more, but if you email the map archive email [dfma @ mkv25 . net] he'll get back to you usually within a day or two.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing DF on a Mac.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 06:34:12 pm »

(Sorry for the Double post: but I FIGURED IT OUT!)

1- download mono here: http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/2.6.7/macos-10-x86/2/MonoFramework-2.6.7_2.macos10.novell.x86.dmg
2- export your map from the df game (esc -> export local image)
3- download the DF Map Compressor here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=997
4- open the terminal, navigate to the DF Map Compressor folder and type:

mono DwarfFortressMapCompressor.3.3.4.exe

5- WAIT till the DF MAp Compressor windows show up (I almost thought it had crashed, it's rather long)
6- follow the on screen instructions

IT WORKS! http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9443-basementcircle
Playing DF on a Mac.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

you have to run the exe by passing it to mono? that's weird... surely there's a better way...

If i had access to a mac i'd be all over that...

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »

you have to run the exe by passing it to mono? that's weird... surely there's a better way...

If i had access to a mac i'd be all over that...

let's not start another mac vs the world war :P

Mono lets you run .NET stuff on the mac, it's a bit of a hassle but it's pretty useful. There's probably a way to run the .exe through a script or something instead of passing through the terminal.
Playing DF on a Mac.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:56 pm »

I'm sure there is...

I was just saying that if I had a Mac I'd be trying to work around the inconvenience. It's the sort of thing I usually enjoy tinkering with. I wasn't bashing Macs at all. :)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

Create a shell script with the mono command in it (copy/paste into Textedit, turn off Rich Text Format, save as .sh file), then if you want, stick in into the folder tree:

DFMA Compressor.app/Content/MacOS/

If all goes well the DFMA Compressor.app will run like a normal application called DFMA Compressor.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.
Pages: [1] 2