Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010475 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10575 on: July 16, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »

I disagree, I think Vicky's development pretty much fits into the pattern they have for their grand strategy games (it was the most recent prior to the current round of releases, now its the least recent).  If they release the next iteration of CK, EU, or HoI without hitting Vicky first, then I'll get worried.  But for now everything seems in order.  Also unlike those games you listed, Vicky 2 got 2 expansions, same as EU 3.

Also 7 pieces of cosmetic DLC and 2 pieces of music DLC.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: July 16, 2016, 04:30:43 pm »

I disagree, I think Vicky's development pretty much fits into the pattern they have for their grand strategy games (it was the most recent prior to the current round of releases, now its the least recent).  If they release the next iteration of CK, EU, or HoI without hitting Vicky first, then I'll get worried.  But for now everything seems in order.  Also unlike those games you listed, Vicky 2 got 2 expansions, same as EU 3.
There's a difference between Vicky and those other titles though. All the others were quite profitable releases, and none of them were made based on a bet between company heads. Furthermore, of those four titles, there's only one where they said that the only way it'll get a release is if the CEO shaves his head again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10577 on: July 16, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »

New devlog to me says "you can play as theocracies" is going to be the big one. The disease DLC is something people have asked for since CK2 has been released, opening up Theocracy content is something people wanted since Republic.
Big one is probably either indeed theocracy or is China. If it isn't China, I sincerely hope they include it in the eventual CK3 (and there probably will be one since sales for this were so good).
It won't be China, nor should it. China deserves its own game, and wouldn't fit the CK2 mechanics at all.
Yeah, China definitely needs its own game. CKII mechanics could work with some tweaks, but not alongside all the other kingdoms and duchies in CKII as is (as amusing as it would be to send hundreds of thousands of Imperial Chinese soldiers into Jerusalem). Working on theocracies and monastic orders would be pretty neat, so you can get that papal intrigue going or hold off the Mongols from Alamut as Hashashin, most importantly keeping to the whole epochal defining moments of massive gargantuan holy war

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: July 16, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »

I've never really played the later starting dates but do the various knightly orders\knights in general get events?  I don't really remember any (besides stuff like hedge-knights showing up and chilling out) so maybe the Way of Life-like DLC will be about knights.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:09:53 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: July 17, 2016, 03:14:40 am »

What I'd love to see is a fleshing out of the Crusade. For a game called Crusader Kings, they feel very bare bone, being just a special kind of war. It'd be nice to have Crusade commanders assembling followers, negotiating right of market (or deciding to pillage Byzantine cities to feed their armies), being able to grab infidel holdings outside the de jure kingdom (Edessa was taken during the First Crusade), etc etc.

Also, Vicky is nice if you want to maintain the possibility of a CK2 to HOI4 megacampaign.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: July 17, 2016, 06:03:01 am »

So was Sengoku and EU:Rome. There are some things that you just need to accept won't be seeing a sequel.

Never! Why would I?
Love, scriver~

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: July 17, 2016, 08:44:24 am »

What I'd love to see is a fleshing out of the Crusade. For a game called Crusader Kings, they feel very bare bone, being just a special kind of war. It'd be nice to have Crusade commanders assembling followers, negotiating right of market (or deciding to pillage Byzantine cities to feed their armies), being able to grab infidel holdings outside the de jure kingdom (Edessa was taken during the First Crusade), etc etc.

they've already said the name was a mistake

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: July 17, 2016, 09:02:39 am »

They still feel bare bone. Maybe it's because I've been reading a lot of Crusade histories recently, but there is a lot of potential for gameplay there.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: July 17, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »

I don't know about a mistake. Crusader Kings was a game about Christian kings in the medieval ages, and Deus Vult only expanded on the crusade aspect of it. The only problem is that CK2 went substantially beyond that, and the name didn't scale well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »

I don't know about a mistake. Crusader Kings was a game about Christian kings in the medieval ages, and Deus Vult only expanded on the crusade aspect of it. The only problem is that CK2 went substantially beyond that, and the name didn't scale well.
And they didn't say it was a mistake. They said they picked it because it sounded cool.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10585 on: July 17, 2016, 06:05:23 pm »

India kinda works cos with the Islamic conquest they can get involved in Crusades and Jihads, in addition to sandwiching Persia

Eurasian steppes likewise - Mongols were big cheese, and both on the silk road were a nice addition

China is basically untouched by Netorians and Sunnis and had virtually no effect on the crusades, and would have virtually no effect in game (unless of course you do a Zoroastrian Chinese invasion of Jerusalem with millions of Imperial soldiers, which whilst awesome, would be quite the gamebreaking game)
West Africa is a bit of an odd one out because it doesn't really interact with the rest of the game in much meaningful sense, but at least it's only a few provinces so it doesn't take up too much resources, and you can always play a lower intensity more integrated tribal game (or go full hardcore and have reformed african empire). It would be pretty neat if as a Malian King you could amass so much gold that you could destroy the Med economy with magnanimity

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: July 20, 2016, 06:28:51 am »

There was a DD yesterday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: July 20, 2016, 10:04:51 am »

Lots of great little things.

But what I really want is an option to ask unlanded characters to come to my court in exchange for giving them land and/or pressing their claims.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:27 am »

You do get a positive "can press my claims" modifier to relation that help invite people.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: July 21, 2016, 04:16:08 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1002