Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010220 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10590 on: July 22, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »

Patch adds plagues, DLC adds doctors, I bet.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: July 22, 2016, 02:35:05 pm »

Patch adds plagues, DLC adds doctors, I bet.
Improve plagues, you mean? Plagues are still in the game. They're fleshing it out though and I love it. And fleshing out the old gods in the patch, right?

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: July 22, 2016, 07:59:09 pm »

Hm, does this mean that you can't keep your ruler safe by leaving them at sea perpetually while outbreaks ravage the countryside? Or was that already patched at some point?
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: July 24, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »

Hm, does this mean that you can't keep your ruler safe by leaving them at sea perpetually while outbreaks ravage the countryside? Or was that already patched at some point?
Please tell me a historical king did that because a king ruling from a ship at sail sounds awesome, and a plague is a pretty good excuse to do such.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:56 pm »

I think the ancient Egyptians had extravagant "palace" boats, don't know how long they stayed on them though.  Caligula apparently had one inspired by the Egyptians, and we don't even know much about it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_ships

That's only what I found from like 60 seconds of wikipedia though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: July 25, 2016, 07:20:39 am »

Also ruling from a ship wouldn't work in protecting you from plague because you'd need to dock on a port or with another ship to get supplies, and the supplies must inevitably come from land.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:14 am »

Unless you pull a Water World, but good luck maintaining a royal administration that way :P
And communicating with the land via smoke signals or shouting or something.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: July 25, 2016, 08:32:55 am »

Unless you pull a Water World, but good luck maintaining a royal administration that way :P
And communicating with the land via smoke signals or shouting or something.

Pidgeons :P

Which will bring the plague back with 'em.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: July 25, 2016, 10:32:49 am »

Were pigeons able to carry it?

I mean, RATS could, I know that.

Rats also relied on fleas for transmission between them, as I understand it.

But pigeons can't, no. They have their own associated diseases, but not plague. And plenty of parasites, but not the same fleas that rats would have.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: July 25, 2016, 11:34:18 am »

Merchant ships was what brought the plague to Europe anyways, so ships aren't exactly the best place to avoid the plague.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: July 25, 2016, 01:10:02 pm »

Not mention ships were unsafe in general.  A king would get better treatment, and could avoid most of the malnutrition, exposure, hard physical labor and corporal punishment* that plagued sailors, but there was still the very real threat of a sinking for one reason or another.  Sure, a day or a week at sea would be reasonably safe.  But the potentially years it would take to dodge a plague?  There's a lot of stuff that can happen to a ship in that timeframe.

*my knowledge of this is mostly based on colonial era UK, but it seems a safe bet that earlier ships sucked to serve on as well?  IDK
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10602 on: July 25, 2016, 01:36:17 pm »

Please tell me a historical king did that because a king ruling from a ship at sail sounds awesome, and a plague is a pretty good excuse to do such.
I don't know about Kings doing that, but it does sound awesome. I'm hoping they manage to include something like the black death and Eyam.
The black death that hit England during the legend of Eyam is sadly out of range for CKII, happening in the 1600s, nevertheless it's an amazing legend. The black death hit London and spread through it rapidly as a result of the maritime merchantry going on, but the northern English cities had remained altogether quite unscathed. Between them lay the village of Eyam, which had been untouched by the plague right up until a poor tailor called George unknowingly sent for a box full of lice infected cloth to Eyam. George died soon and the villagers realized the plague had reached Eyam when more villagers started dying. They turned to Reverend William Mompesson and Puritan Minister Thomas Stanley for guidance (both putting aside their religious differences to help everyone), and they set the course for the country by deciding that the village would completely isolate itself under self-imposed quarantine. They got food from neighbouring villagers who left food in baskets outside their village, whilst collecting money left in troughs filled in vinegar to avoid contamination, in this way the village didn't starve to death whilst the plague took its toll.
Villagers gradually grew more and more demoralized as loved ones died, and they had to bury them personally so as to minimize the spread of infection. They even had to personally engrave their families' headstones, after the mason died of the plague. It is altogether quite harrowing knowing so many like Elizabeth Hancock had to bury their husband and six children personally, with nothing stopping them from having made an attempt to escape Eyam besides the desire to halt this fate spreading north to more people.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: July 25, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »

That's badass. And sad. :(
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:24 pm »

Playing as the count that owns the South West corner of France.

Starting count's woman eventually has a genius son. Excellent! He has a second son who, while no genius, does wind up being a force all his own. It was the first time I had two children to split my lands between that I both liked. My heir eventually has a son of his own, and he turns out to be a genius as well. Joy! My counties were ruled with a gentle but firm hand, and there were none in my court who disliked me.

Then my spymaster died. And his replacement months later. And then his replacement. By the fifth death in only a couple years I decide, as the best candidate now anyway, that my wife would serve. If anyone acted upon her, then they would be drawing my full wrath upon them. Within two months my wife was murdered, and the culprit's name know. It was my heir's wife! I make my heir Spymaster to avoid further loss of life while keeping a spymaster while my own plot for revenge builds. One summer night my Daughter-in-Law went out for a walk and was ambushed by bandits who left her body lifeless.

My heir and I remained on good terms up until a few years later, when my new spymaster came to me with news that my Genius Grandson, now 16, was planning to kill his father. I did nothing to act against it. I'd be dead soon anyway, and my Grandson would prove himself a more capable ruler than his admittedly powerful father. That plot was foiled when, on my deathbed, I get news that my son was assassinated. This meant that my younger son would inherit all my lands. It was good for unification, but that branch of the family tree was strong diplomatically and educationally, but fell very short everywhere else. Two months after the assassination I died.

The Genius Idiot who managed to ruin his chance at inheritance actually became friends with his uncle. I like to imagine that Genius with No Sense of Timing knew he dun goof'd, and was happy serving as Marshal, knowing that it is his fault he does not have the throne. The Uncle had an Heir, and he now rules. West Francia stretched through the Germanic East before a succession crisis split the kingdom into four, each king a child. I maintained my sovereignty to West Francia and the True King, though I was cut off by the newly independent Aquitaine Kingdom. Surrounded by power-hungry lords to the North and East, the Norse raiding from the western shores, and the nearly unified Muslim Iberian peninsula to the south I decided to make a few power-plays to ensure my dynasty's survival. After two years, my king took the crown and throne and immediately invaded Middle Francia. While he took their lands, my plot to assassinate the child-king of Burgundy came to fruition (I targeted him due to being older than the Aquitanian King), and so most of France was unified before my king turned 18. My attempts to kill the Aquitanian king were put on hold while I took care of some lords fabricating claims on my lands. The Aquitanian King became an adult, but died in a manure explosion before producing any heirs.

If you can't tell by now, I love being the little guy using the big guys as pawns in my game of thrones.

Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1002