Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010368 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #10635 on: August 03, 2016, 03:02:01 am »

Sounds like gavelkind.  It basically works like this (assuming agnatic, male-only)

Take the list of titles your dead character held.
Eldest son gets the highest.  Other sons get the others.  That might mean your younger son becomes independent with Britannia or something, so never make multiple empires except to reform Roma.

With gavelkind, try to always have ONE top-level title if you're in danger of dying.  Your main heir will inherit it and be lord of all his siblings.

After handling the top titles, the remaining titles are distributed similarly.  Primary titles (ones that contain the capital) go to the heir (guy you play as next).  But basically the titles are distributed among all sons in a semblance of fairness.
For Kingdoms, Duchies, and counties.  Barons/Mayors/Priests aren't effected.

But what happens if you're emperor of three kingdoms, and you give two of them to an heir?  You can't.  You can give one.  And when you die, all those titles are counted as part of his inheritance, so it's likely he'll get nothing else from your death.

Probably doesn't stop him from trying to kill you though

If I had Gavelkind I wouldn't be here. It is literally just the Kingdom I created going to only the second son. Everything else is for the first son.

Also, what's up with the rebels? It seems that whenever I go to war rebels start spawning like mad and without warning. I can go months without a rebel in peace, but once I go to war, I will almost be guaranteed a rebel spawn or 2. Ahhh religious unrest seems to be the culprit. Too bad I haven't been able to convert this one province for 30 years now...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:06:55 am by Micro102 »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: August 03, 2016, 09:16:45 am »

Ah sorry, I was up late.  What probably happened is that kingdoms can have different succession laws.  Or even if they're both elective, it's different elections.  Other son might have been more popular over there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: August 03, 2016, 09:19:03 am »

Might even be the kingdom has gavelkind.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: August 03, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »

Ah yes! I am now remembering that you can set different laws for these things. I will check next time I am playing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:17 pm »

Nope, Kingdom of Greece inheritance laws are also suppose to go to my eldest son no idea what the hell is going on.

EDIT: What the hell, he even has negative relations because of Primogeniture succession?! I think I have a pretty bad bug.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:04:48 am by Micro102 »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: August 04, 2016, 12:11:39 am »

Nope, Kingdom of Greece inheritance laws are also suppose to go to my eldest son no idea what the hell is going on.

EDIT: What the hell, he even has negative relations because of Primogeniture succession?! I think I have a pretty bad bug.
Pretty sure you don't. Send the save or take lots of screenshots (especially of the inheritance laws for the empire and the kingdom).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: August 04, 2016, 12:27:55 am »

I just realized what is going on. Somehow my heir is my second son, and my first son isn't inheriting anything, except the Kingdom of Greece. It seems that he somehow became part of a republic since he owns a city (again no idea how). Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, he isn't living in the kingdom he is going to inherit so I have no idea what is going to happen? Is he going to inherit some of my land? If he going to turn the Kingdom of Greece into a republic? I have no idea what is going to happen nor why my second son his become the heir.

EDIT: Final update. My guy died, my second son became my new character, inheriting a city in Sicily and the empire title, but everything else went to the first son. No idea why. And yes it all became a republic causing all sorts of problems. I have a save to go back to, and am wondering how I can go about having my heir inherit the Kingdom of Greece. I NEED HELP!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:49:33 am by Micro102 »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: August 04, 2016, 06:34:06 am »

I just realized what is going on. Somehow my heir is my second son, and my first son isn't inheriting anything, except the Kingdom of Greece. It seems that he somehow became part of a republic since he owns a city (again no idea how). Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, he isn't living in the kingdom he is going to inherit so I have no idea what is going to happen? Is he going to inherit some of my land? If he going to turn the Kingdom of Greece into a republic? I have no idea what is going to happen nor why my second son his become the heir.

EDIT: Final update. My guy died, my second son became my new character, inheriting a city in Sicily and the empire title, but everything else went to the first son. No idea why. And yes it all became a republic causing all sorts of problems. I have a save to go back to, and am wondering how I can go about having my heir inherit the Kingdom of Greece. I NEED HELP!

Elective Succession in a kingdom would hit a Republican hard because of their penalties with other government type vassals, so if you can make Greece elective it should pass to your other son if he can win the vote.

Alternatively you could arrest and execute your elder son, or use the kill cheat to knock him dead with no risk of failure.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:47 am »

Is your second son purple-born while your first isn't? My guess is the Kingdom of Greece doesn't care for purple-born, so primogeniture gives everything to the first son, while the empire of Byzantium does care for purple-born, so it's primogeniture gives everything to the second son.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: August 04, 2016, 12:54:52 pm »

Sometimes I wish the tooltip for succession, the one that includes the three next inheritors, would provide a simple reason why they are inheriting. "Born-in-the-Purple Firstborn Son," would suffice to explain, or "First-born Grandchild" if you're absolute cognatic with a dead firstborn and a grandchild, or "Tanist-Elect" for the Celts.

Or maybe just put it on your succession laws screen, under their portrait for each character.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: August 04, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »

Elective Succession in a kingdom would hit a Republican hard because of their penalties with other government type vassals, so if you can make Greece elective it should pass to your other son if he can win the vote.

Alternatively you could arrest and execute your elder son, or use the kill cheat to knock him dead with no risk of failure.

That seems a bit drastic. Is it not possible to simply revoke my first son's title and then give him a barony so he becomes feudal? Or maybe grant my second son the title of Kingdom of Greece?

Is your second son purple-born while your first isn't? My guess is the Kingdom of Greece doesn't care for purple-born, so primogeniture gives everything to the first son, while the empire of Byzantium does care for purple-born, so it's primogeniture gives everything to the second son.
Yes my heir is born in the purple, but I am confused as I could have sworn that both were born in the purple when I started the game.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: August 04, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »

That seems a bit drastic. Is it not possible to simply revoke my first son's title and then give him a barony so he becomes feudal? Or maybe grant my second son the title of Kingdom of Greece?

Yes my heir is born in the purple, but I am confused as I could have sworn that both were born in the purple when I started the game.

You could just revoke his title and invite him to your court, which should turn him Feudal, but that involves less murder, and depending on circumstances more of a vassal relationship penalty.

He also may have multiple titles which would make revoking them time consuming and difficult.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: August 04, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »

There seems to just be one last question from all this. Does born in the purple affect my heir, but not title inheritance? Because my first non-purple son got everything but the empire title.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: August 04, 2016, 06:31:18 pm »

Probably the opposite.  It should effect relevant titles, but not the rest of them.  Surely the purple son gets a kingdom, right?

I remember being a happy empress with no kingdoms, duchies and I *think* no counties.  But that's harshly disallowed now.  The born in the purple son should at least get some kingdom/duchy/county/[castle] combo.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: August 04, 2016, 07:23:03 pm »

Probably the opposite.  It should effect relevant titles, but not the rest of them.  Surely the purple son gets a kingdom, right?

I remember being a happy empress with no kingdoms, duchies and I *think* no counties.  But that's harshly disallowed now.  The born in the purple son should at least get some kingdom/duchy/county/[castle] combo.
Don't you need at least one County title to act as your capital? You definitely don't need the duchy.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1002