Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010707 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12075 on: March 21, 2017, 09:15:43 am »

To be fair, the Anglican schism is a little out of the time frame. That said, if it were possible to install an Anti-Pope as a permanent fixture in your realm, instead of a "Send him to Rome or he goes away" kind of deal, that'd work. You'd still be Catholic but you'd have your Archbishop of Canterbury too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:10 am »

To be fair, the Anglican schism is a little out of the time frame. That said, if it were possible to install an Anti-Pope as a permanent fixture in your realm, instead of a "Send him to Rome or he goes away" kind of deal, that'd work. You'd still be Catholic but you'd have your Archbishop of Canterbury too.

The core idea fits into the last 100 years of the time frame. Henry VIIIs schism happened in the 1530s, during which he was declared head of the church of England. The closest analogue in game would be a secular anti-pope I suppose.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: March 21, 2017, 10:52:07 am »

The game ends 1453. I know, I *just* finished my Crimea game to the end. Got the cheeve and errythang.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing the Abbasid achievement, but maaan. I can't really bring myself to do it. Muslims aren't fun to play, and there's no good province to make my capital. Baghdad is shit, sure it's got full slots but it's got two cities, and the closest candidate is Tigris which has two mosques and three castles, and two empty slots. I just want a county with mosques for the cash, alright?? IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:54:05 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:42 am »

The game ends 1453. I know, I *just* finished my Crimea game to the end. Got the cheeve and errythang.

That's what I get for posting while sleep deprived I suppose.

EDIT: To my great amusement I have made the Pope the liege of an Anti-Pope by accident.

I was trying to form the Holy Roman Empire in my Scandinavia game, so I tried to temporarily convert to Catholic to form it then turn back, didn't work out that simple. Long story short it took nearly two decades to do, and I made an Anti-Pope out of frustration at the actual Pope hating me. Fed up with this, I gave the Pope control of Rome again, which for some reason made the anti-pope, who was based in one of the other bishoprics there, his vassal rather than clearing his anti papal status.

So the Pope now has a hard to revoke vassal who hates him and gives him -30% moral authority, and which has already been inherited at least once. When I finally manage to go Germanic pagan again I'll take the time to laugh my ass off at him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:52:36 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: March 21, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »

How effective are constructions like cities and churches in generating money? I'm never sure exactly where my cash is coming from, as my go-to strat is mindless expansionism until i hit vassal limit and spend six rulers trying to raise vassal limit or push for viceroyalties, but  I always thought that most of my money was generated by the county capitol. If I drop some money on the cities, will I actually get more? Is it a worthwhile investment, assuming that I'm in a good position troops-wise?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:31 pm »

Muslims aren't fun to play
What don't you like about them?
How effective are constructions like cities and churches in generating money? I'm never sure exactly where my cash is coming from, as my go-to strat is mindless expansionism until i hit vassal limit and spend six rulers trying to raise vassal limit or push for viceroyalties, but  I always thought that most of my money was generated by the county capitol. If I drop some money on the cities, will I actually get more? Is it a worthwhile investment, assuming that I'm in a good position troops-wise?
Cities are the prime moneymakers in the game, generating significantly more revenue than castles or churches. That said, their owners will upgrade them on their own whenever they can, as most mayors have nothing better to spend money on. (I believe Descan is trying to get mosques because Iqta rulers can own mosques personally and mosques generate more revenue than castles, making for a more profitable demesne.)

There are three primary ways to use cities to your advantage, though. The first is building more cities in provinces with empty holding slots. The second is raising taxes on cities. The third is granting mayors counties and then granting the resulting Lord Mayors duchies. This makes them a merchant republic, which makes them pay you tons of taxes.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: March 21, 2017, 06:14:58 pm »

The third is granting mayors counties and then granting the resulting Lord Mayors duchies. This makes them a merchant republic, which makes them pay you tons of taxes.

I think I actually managed to make a baron-level city into a Merchant Republic by only granting the guy a dutchy title, without giving a county-level title.  I'd have to double check, though.

The only way I can see it working myself is if there were a bunch of generic 'Church of X' religions waiting to be formed when someone meets the criteria. Like the Fylkirate but instead it's just dozens of renamed secular Catholic church variants tied to specific de jure kingdoms/empires.

So the criteria to make the Anglican Church would be 'Must be Independant, must control the Kingdom of England or Empire of Britain, must be Catholic (or Fraticelli), must dislike the Pope, and Catholic moral authority must be below 75%.'

The big problem I would see with this would be that if they could Crusade then players would make each possible one they could and hand it to a vassal so they could have dozens of Crusades of various power being run by their vassals.

Just had a thought on this topic.  Could you potentially do this if you use something along the lines of the 'Create a Kingdom' event?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:38 pm »

Muslims aren't fun to play
What don't you like about them?
Cities are the prime moneymakers in the game, generating significantly more revenue than castles or churches. That said, their owners will upgrade them on their own whenever they can, as most mayors have nothing better to spend money on. (I believe Descan is trying to get mosques because Iqta rulers can own mosques personally and mosques generate more revenue than castles, making for a more profitable demesne.)

There are three primary ways to use cities to your advantage, though. The first is building more cities in provinces with empty holding slots. The second is raising taxes on cities. The third is granting mayors counties and then granting the resulting Lord Mayors duchies. This makes them a merchant republic, which makes them pay you tons of taxes.

I'm going to have to suggest that building castles in your capital province is a better proposition, so long as you keep the ensuing baronies. If you have your steward to collect taxes (and your martial hiring levies or whatever that task is) you get the bonus to income in every single castle you have in the province. You keep all the money too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:35 pm »

That's going to be great. The Pope could be invaded to depose an antipope.

Sadly too few Catholics left these days. It's basically just a few duchies worth in Europe and one of the Eastern European Kingdoms no one usually cares about (it's not Pomerania or Russia, but it's in the general area) now. Everywhere that used to be Catholic is Sunni, Shiite or Germanic now. Orthodox Christians are the only branch doing ok since the Sunni Caliphate wrecked the Miaphysites.

Luckily for me the unkillable Shiite army of 31000 event troops finally died not long ago. Decadence revolt of 60k overthrew the Caliph and all the event troops despawned and the Caliphate exploded into chunks. Not been able to take advantage because of a combination of threat and my attempts to form the HRE destabilizing my own realm. Sunni Caliphate exploded not long after.

Just me and the Byzntines left as far as big guns go, at least till the Mongols and the Aztecs show up. Black Death showed up a long time ago, killing remarkably few of my family. Lost a wife and 2 kids out of 6 to it, cured myself with the powers of Hel. Want to take over the Byzantines, but getting a strong claim is proving difficult, might not be able to pull it off unless I go Christian forever.

I might try an Ironman run in India, or see how well the secret religion stuff works as a Zoroastrian under the Sunni Caliphate.

Just had a thought on this topic.  Could you potentially do this if you use something along the lines of the 'Create a Kingdom' event?

Maybe? Not sure if a generic religion template is a thing in this game, I think they generally need to be defined properly before the game starts.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:03 pm »

How can one convert to, and then back from, Catholicism - or any other faith? Is that possible?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:20 pm »

Get a liege that's one faith and a capital that's another.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:14 pm »

But which faith should be which? (Liege, capitol)

Hrmm, so I guess I can't be an emperor then. How do you prevent massive revocation/conversion spikes?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:03 pm »

Get a liege that's one faith and a capital that's another.
Catholicism, or Norse Paganism?  Get yourself a realm that can do both.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: March 21, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »

While cities are great for income (especially with appropriate laws), this is true regardless of where they are, so there isn't a pressing reason to place them in your capital for that reason.  The usual reason to stack cities in your capital province specifically was actually to take advantage of the additive bonuses of Universities, if I recall.  +270% tech spread rate into your capital from three Large Universities is fun, and the additional economic tech points are really just gravy. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:34:36 pm by Culise »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: March 22, 2017, 01:54:09 am »

I'm not sure if it works for viceroyalties, but you do inherit tech points. So the economic tech points can be mitigated by properly using your six-holdings-with-Capital-County-+50% levies and income. Not to mention if you make your steward collect tax there, and train troops, hooooo boy.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1002