Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010912 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12570 on: August 31, 2017, 04:12:47 pm »

Incidentally, by the end of the Crusading period, there were a fair number of rulers who "took the cross" in order to collect the Crusading taxes and gain favor with the pope, but never actually went crusading. After a while the Pope started catching on and started excommunicating rulers like Frederick II who dragged their feet too long. Some rulers would eventually take an army to the Holy Land, but they would just besiege some Muslim castle or fight in a battle and declare their vow fulfilled and go home.

While the Crusader tax part of this isn't simulated in CKII, I've definitely joined a crusade solely to please the pope and then either done nothing, or sent a small army to the target so members of my dynasty can gain the Crusader trait.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: August 31, 2017, 04:17:32 pm »

I actually like the crusader trait.  but not on my own kin.  It musses with elective succession, and creates popularity for claimants.

afa taxes, I do think we should get less out of our vassals.  And they should be allowed more freedom of movement.  ckii's law system is still entirely too easy to circumvent.

I locked up two of my children because they werent mine.  Thats -80 tyranny for 30 years, and Im still passing laws.  Of course, -80 for 30 is a pretty steep penalty ...

The game's laws system could be gated more, or something.  legalism 3 to get late imperial rule is silly and easy when you start in 886.  At least mil-org 4 takes more time.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: August 31, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

I actually like the crusader trait.  but not on my own kin.  It musses with elective succession, and creates popularity for claimants.
I usually just do it for my ruler and heir, it really depends on the situation though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: August 31, 2017, 04:43:29 pm »

While the Crusader tax part of this isn't simulated in CKII, I've definitely joined a crusade solely to please the pope and then either done nothing, or sent a small army to the target so members of my dynasty can gain the Crusader trait.
Yup, I do this all the time. Especially since whoever gets the land seems really random. Sometimes it's the one with the highest warscore, sometimes it's some random idiot.

I normally just raise a retinue of 3 units, send them on a boat to wherever, then cycle the generals with almost everyone in my court. That way everyone gets a crusader trait and mutual crusader bonus.

Their discussions at the annual crusader get together must be fun. "So what did you do in Jerusalem?" "Oh, I hung out in Antoich for like, 10 minutes then teleported back home." "oh cool, me too."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: August 31, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »

The thing about warscore is that it counts battles for a lot more than sieges.  capturing land gives you passive warscore that can add up, but large battles give a lot on non-renewable warscore.

The best thing to do is to murder the enemies' armies early and pick up some weak counties that are in the target kingdom.  leave strong castles alone since they take years to siege.

But, yes, if a claimant to the throne exists that is your religion, they get immediate dibs.  Murder them with a plot and you can warscore up.  It helps to hire a holy order or two since the ai wont do it immediately.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: August 31, 2017, 09:42:25 pm »

Well yeah you're there to cleanse the land of heathens, not sit outside a castle sunning (Sunni-ing?) yourself for 4 months.

Would probably be worse if you were Shiite-ing yourself...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: September 01, 2017, 06:41:42 am »

Incidentally, by the end of the Crusading period, there were a fair number of rulers who "took the cross" in order to collect the Crusading taxes and gain favor with the pope, but never actually went crusading. After a while the Pope started catching on and started excommunicating rulers like Frederick II who dragged their feet too long. Some rulers would eventually take an army to the Holy Land, but they would just besiege some Muslim castle or fight in a battle and declare their vow fulfilled and go home.

oh yeah i remember doing some really annoying commander-cycling between counties just to get all my generals +3 martial from Crusader. especially when the crusade target was strong and there was no realistic possibility of success.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: September 01, 2017, 07:40:17 am »

Well yeah you're there to cleanse the land of heathens, not sit outside a castle sunning (Sunni-ing?) yourself for 4 months.

Would probably be worse if you were Shiite-ing yourself...

Oooh ho ho ho
Love, scriver~

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: September 01, 2017, 08:04:00 am »

Can I seduce the pope yet?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:29 am »

(AGOT mod) finally caved and bought Horselords and decided to test it out with a cheat boosted joke character. I am now Khal Smith, the Qartheen Khal of Khals.

Khal Smith married his daughters to short ugly people and crossbred tall and attractive slaves because he wants the future to be filled with gross people ruling a genetic super race- this is how Khal Smith tells jokes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12580 on: September 01, 2017, 11:49:31 am »

Okay, since I am a Swede, that hit a nerve. I am going on a rantpage.
This is how I feel every time the vikings learn how to construct longships and begin raiding the coastline of everywhere

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: September 01, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »

funnily enough the viking ai does seem to weigh their opinion of you before deciding to raid you.  am i imagining this?
PKs DF Mod!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: September 03, 2017, 05:27:51 pm »

I've never noticed it.
As far as I know, if the vikings have an opinion of you-good, bad, or otherwise-they'll raid you. I get vikings basically from the Fury Of The Northmen event on until the last Germanic is exterminated. I've had a few games where I started to conquer Scandinavia specifically to stop raids, not that most of the land is worth holding.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: September 03, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »

all land is worth taking.

especially if it guarded by fragmented and holy-orderless tribals
PKs DF Mod!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: September 03, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »

Yes, all land is worth taking, but it it worth taking provinces in Norway and Sweden that produce .8 tax a month and field thirty men, or it it more valuable to focus on the home front, securing valuable Italian and French provinces? The Vikings are a constant irritation, but an irritation at best, aside from occasional host invasions. Plus, if I deal in the Scandis and that province or its holder revolts, I have to send men on a long boat ride off.
The opportunity cost of messing around with tribals, not just vikingss, is high and the rewards are fairly low unless you're also tribal..
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1002