Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990414 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12660 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:22 pm »

Effectively, this blocks marrying first and second cousins.
I feel like you're using this power for the opposite of its intended purpose.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:32 pm »

The closest that I've seen the game ever allow was uncle-niece/aunt-nephew.

Which, given that the game is actually supposed to disallow such things in the religion files...
There's an in game Christian heresy that encourages incest. Zoroastrianism in the game also rewards you for it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:18 pm »

Which, given that the game is actually supposed to disallow such things in the religion files...
There's an in game Christian heresy that encourages incest. Zoroastrianism in the game also rewards you for it.
Which is ahistorical bullshit taken from biased sources. Which, the game isn't supposed to be education, really, but the fact is a lot of people get most of their history from it and think that's what Messalians really were. And the Zoroastrian bit's even worse since it's still a religion that people follow.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: October 04, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »

Which is ahistorical bullshit taken from biased sources. Which, the game isn't supposed to be education, really, but the fact is a lot of people get most of their history from it and think that's what Messalians really were.
Yeah, that's why I said in-game because it's total nonsense IRL. They probably just did it cause it's amusing.

Not that I'm complaining. It gives us a worthy goal to aspire to.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: October 04, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »

Which is ahistorical bullshit taken from biased sources. Which, the game isn't supposed to be education, really, but the fact is a lot of people get most of their history from it and think that's what Messalians really were. And the Zoroastrian bit's even worse since it's still a religion that people follow.
That is a good point, considering how much I've learned about Eastern Europe and Northern Africa.  Stuff I was maybe quizzed on *once* back in middle school.  Maybe.

The descriptions are nice, but naturally focused on mechanics.  I grew up on games like Age of Empires 1&2 which had interesting historical information which was accurate and completely independent of gameplay.

And honestly, Alpha Centauri, which wasn't historical but really opened my mind to possibilities and consequences.  I *think* Civ 2 had real life history, but I was too busy screwing with the scripting language :P

CK2 wise, though, I sure am glad it mentioned the Cathars.  I've never heard of them from any other source, except when I went looking, which is amazing since they were the first target of Catholic purging.  A dark time, not representative, whatever- they shouldn't be forgotten, and their version of Christianity is fascinating to me.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius (Kill them. For the Lord knows who are His.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:16:01 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12665 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:16 am »

What culture is Lwizyán?
Lwizyán tends to get bounced around 3 cultures of rulers, the south anglos (who call it Louisiana) and the two galloamerican cultures, of the cajuns and creoles, who call it Lwizyán. The descendants of Caribbean voodoo colonists & the native Francophones have done pretty well for themselves, though as of now there is currently a civil war between the Creoles on the East of the Mississippi and Cajuns on the West

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:16 am »

Secret Welsh got in my Cajun?
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: October 05, 2017, 10:57:09 am »

These two threads of conversation got me realizing; I found out about the Carribean syncretic religions largely due to After the End. Those have really inadequate mechanics and flavor built in, but at the very least they're not outright wrong despite the fact that the mod is purely fictional.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: October 05, 2017, 11:15:48 am »

Here's another one- Zunism wasn't actually a thing.
It sort of was. But all that is known about Zun is that he was a sun god worshiped by the southern Heptalites. That's it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: October 05, 2017, 11:27:03 am »

Please ignore the heresy and PRAISE THE ZUN
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: October 05, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »

I believe the conclusion in that thread is "The Zunbils were not called Zunbil and possibly weren't locals", not that they didn't exist.

Also iirc from when I read about zunism on Wikipedia they made it seem almost like a Hinduist tradition rather than anything else. I've been thinking maybe they should've made it a Hinduist heresy.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: October 05, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »

I've been playing with the thought a mod which fleshes out pagans reformation in such a way that when you reform a religion, it reforms into the cult/ism of your favored deity, and all other important deities get their own heresies in addition to the Old [Religion] heresy. It would be cool if when you set up Odin as the chief god above all gods and the only one you should worship, different people go "No fuck you Thor is the only god worth worshipping" or "No, Tyr" or "No, Frey/a" or "Njord!", "Ull!" or "Balder!" because people can never fucking agree on everything.
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: October 05, 2017, 02:17:59 pm »

I'm late to the party here, but if I remember correctly, Messalians are incestuous in game because there's not much known about them, so the devs went with the incest claim because it made Messalians mechanically interesting instead of them simply being generic Christian heresy #3.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:30:01 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: October 05, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »

I've been playing with the thought a mod which fleshes out pagans reformation in such a way that when you reform a religion, it reforms into the cult/ism of your favored deity, and all other important deities get their own heresies in addition to the Old [Religion] heresy. It would be cool if when you set up Odin as the chief god above all gods and the only one you should worship, different people go "No fuck you Thor is the only god worth worshipping" or "No, Tyr" or "No, Frey/a" or "Njord!", "Ull!" or "Balder!" because people can never fucking agree on everything.
If reformation is a reward meant to protect the religion from the organized religions this would mesh somewhat poorly to that end.

Truth be told, much as I hate invincoblobs, I hate even more that the ai of gavelkinds dont immediately consider reclaiming their lost inheritance.  It takes the edge off the pagans, who dont have access to holy wars eg to begin with.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: October 05, 2017, 02:24:03 pm »

That doesn't really sound right...

Weren't polytheist civilizations just kinda okay with everyone worshiping everything at the same time? It's mostly how that worked in Greece, Rome, China, Japan, India, etc. etc. I don't think there were wars waged in Greece over how Ares should totally be the only one everyone worshiped.

The only time shit gets fucky is when someone goes "NONE OF YOUR GODS EXIST ONLY MINE AND HE'S THE REAL ONE TRUE GOD KANYE WEST" or something. But I really can't think of too many examples of it not being a result of a truly foreign power coming in and stating that.

Maybe some of you guys know if anything of the sort happened.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1002