Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990038 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #12765 on: November 17, 2017, 01:10:48 pm »

After some advice:

As Wales, I've finally usurped England. I probably won't manage to take over the whole of Britain in this lifetime, but I have two sons (I legitimised a bastard and then my wife unexpectedly gave birth to a son). I don't want the two kingdoms to be split when I die, and I am currently able to change to any form of inheritance except primogeniture.

Which should I go for?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:45 pm »

Ultimogeniture is your best bet. Youngest son inherits everything.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:11 pm »

Ultimogeniture is my favorite, yeah.  It's a bit wacky though.  Youngest *dynasty member* inherits everything, which means very long reigns, but the time just after succession can be a bit tough since your character hasn't built up a lot of prestige or stats.  Honestly, it's pretty good.

Seniority can also be fun, mostly as a challenge since you're constantly dying.  It's amazing for building up dynastic prestige and score, if you care about those whatsoever (most people don't).  And it's not even an option for you heh.

But since you're Welsh, I recommend Tanistry.  It's basically Feudal Elective, except only your dynasty can win.  Vassals like having votes, but "you" always win.  I sorta like the hint of democracy in it, anyway.  Interesting note - they prefer to elect distant cousins over your direct relatives, which is kinda cool.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:33:17 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: November 17, 2017, 01:44:11 pm »

It is? Ok, will probably try this later.

Yes, it's probably the fastest version of CK2 ever: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/7di2vf/ck2benchmark_jade_dragon_is_the_fastest_version/
That guy is running benchmarks on a 4 year old laptop.  Slightly judging him for that.  IME, 4 year old laptops run faster or slower depending on ambient heat.  And get slower over time regardless.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »

Yes, it's probably the fastest version of CK2 ever: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/7di2vf/ck2benchmark_jade_dragon_is_the_fastest_version/
That guy is running benchmarks on a 4 year old laptop.  Slightly judging him for that.  IME, 4 year old laptops run faster or slower depending on ambient heat.  And get slower over time regardless.
I, in my turn, slightly judge you for assumption that i run games on 4 year old laptop, because i run them on god know how much years old desktop with 1.8 gb RAM and a bit broken videocard. :P

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: November 17, 2017, 02:19:42 pm »

Tanistry is very tempting. My dynasty split about 5 generations back and the other branch won't otherwise have a chance at running their ancestral home. Also being able to have a hand in picking the ruler leaves less up to the winds of fortune.

That said, all my best leaders started their reign as 0 year olds...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: November 17, 2017, 02:22:34 pm »

I, in my turn, slightly judge you for assumption that i run games on 4 year old laptop, because i run them on god know how much years old desktop with 1.8 gb RAM and a bit broken videocard. :P
Oh dude, I've played comp Overwatch on a handmedown laptop of unknown age with an integrated video card, I get it.  I just wouldn't run multiple benchmarks on that computer over an extended period of time and then expect comparisons between them to matter.

(if you're wondering how: lock framerate to 30, get very good at messing with the game's video settings, have nothing else open)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »

Oops I blanked on the main benefit of Seniority: It naturally consolidates titles, since older dynasty members tend to have their own.  Relevant because Ultimogeniture will rarely gain "you" any titles.  Not usually the biggest deal, particularly if you reach empire, but still.

I find it hard to resist Tanistry when I have one of the few qualifying cultures, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:32:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: November 17, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »

Don't do Tanistry if you have more than 1 top-tier title. It runs the elections for the kingdoms separately, so it'll split up your realm unless you somehow manage to get the same guy elected on both thrones.
Oops I blanked on the main benefit of Ultimogeniture: It naturally consolidates titles, since older dynasty members tend to have their own.  Relevant because Primogeniture will rarely gain "you" any titles.  Not usually the biggest deal, particularly if you reach empire, but still.
I think you're thinking of Seniority.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: November 17, 2017, 03:28:43 pm »

I was!  Thank you.

Primogeniture is first-child (usually son).  Whereas Ultimogeniture and Seniority look at the entire dynasty and choose the youngest or oldest respectively.
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: November 17, 2017, 03:32:56 pm »

I’m sure ultimogeniture only looks at the ruler’s kids.

It’s good because you can basically build your ruler the way you want them for the most part, as opposed to hope the AI chooses wisely.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: November 17, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »

I’m sure ultimogeniture only looks at the ruler’s kids.

Well, mostly, yeah. Everyone saying it looks at youngest dynasty member is wrong (unless that just changed in JE). Generally it only looks at the current ruler's children.

However, it can get weird with grandchildren and agnatic-cognatic ultimogeniture. It's still not "youngest dynasty member" but it's some backward-ass calculation that isn't necessarily what you'd expect.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »

Well, mostly, yeah. Everyone saying it looks at youngest dynasty member is wrong (unless that just changed in JE). Generally it only looks at the current ruler's children.
I was apparently strongly misremembering :/
It makes sense in retrospect that ultimo- and primo- geniture would both look at your children, instead of dynasty.
She/they

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:13 pm »

However, it can get weird with grandchildren and agnatic-cognatic ultimogeniture. It's still not "youngest dynasty member" but it's some backward-ass calculation that isn't necessarily what you'd expect.

I'm 95% certain that's how it works in real life, so it's just as intended. Lines of succession get very muddled and confused when you get grandchildren or cousins involved. Historically several wars and conflicts were fought over such things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: November 17, 2017, 03:48:39 pm »

I've ended up with Seniority a couple of times. It's...kind of the worst, in my experience. Everyone dies within a few years of becoming ruler so you're constantly dealing with unrest.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1002