Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008943 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13125 on: April 06, 2018, 12:59:46 am »

What's that supposed to mean?
It's a pretty common phrase, so Google should be able to help. If you want me to hold your hand, you can pm me but I'm not super available so it'll probably take longer than figuring it out yourself, if you're reasonably technologically competent.

Anyway, any tips for a new player?
pick a duke or king in a country that you like, mess around and do medieval stuff until everything goes wrong, and then come back with more specific questions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:07:39 am by Cruxador »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: April 06, 2018, 01:38:06 am »

I think you mixed up your quote tags.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:56 am »

Ok, so question time for Bay12:

I have a polish friend. She and I talk every day. She plays CK2, and I've been promising her a "Holy Polish Empire" campaign (as in, I make a Holy Polish Empire for her to marvel at).

So questions: What are the hypothetical natural borders of said empire?
Everything between Northpole land and Southpole land is rightful holy Pole land.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: April 06, 2018, 06:43:28 am »

I am confused. I started the game in Holland, and the game alerts tell me I have de jure claims on Zeeland and Sticht.
But if I go to the diplomacy options for the rulers holding those countries, the 'declare war' option is greyed out, with the reason being 'Count Robrecht is independent' for Zeeland, and 'Prince Bishop Willem must be our liege or a vassal of our liege' for Sticht.

I thought a de jure claim was a proper casus belli? Why can't I declare war?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:46:20 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: April 06, 2018, 06:58:58 am »

Without knowing the starting situation of this, you need to declare war on the top liege in a realm. Basically click on the portrait of owner of the county you want to take, and if they have a smaller portrait to the top right of their own in the newly opened window, click on that until that small portrait disappears in the new windows, and then you can declare war on that person, unless something weird happens.

Alternatively, click on the county, and in the top right corner of the county details window is a coat of arms that will take you to the top liege of the realm.

Make sure to check how many troops the top liege has; invariably they will have a lot more than the single county you want to take can field.

The second one sounds like you’re in the same realm as the Prince-bishop, but don’t share a liege.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: April 06, 2018, 07:10:02 am »

IIRC, if you click the de jure claims notification, it'll take you to the person who is the one you need to declare war on to get the title.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: April 06, 2018, 07:10:42 am »

Well de jure claim is proper casus belli, but for say Sticht, it's that you have to declare war on his direct liege (Duke Gottfried of Lower Lorreine, if you're starting in 1066) rather the count of Sticht himself.

For Count Roprecht it's not the reason that he is independent but that he isn't independent. The red mark means that it doesn't fulfil that requirement of the action. For him you have to declare war against the king of France himself (though if you wait, the Kaiser are very likely to declare de jure war for Zeeland for you.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: April 06, 2018, 07:28:18 am »

1: being independent seems to be related to the vassal war laws for your realm.
2: 'liege or vassal of liege' means that he is under the thumb of another king/duke in your real; that makes you unable to press.

Yes, being the count under the duke of A means that you cannot yourself press claims against counts under B.  I'm not sure if you can attack dukes as a count under another duke, probably not by what you said.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: April 06, 2018, 08:33:31 am »

1: being independent seems to be related to the vassal war laws for your realm.

No, it is because the count of Zeeland was not independent (he's a vassal of the Duke of Flanders who is a vassal of France)
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: April 06, 2018, 09:45:31 am »

Apparently this game is free on steam right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: April 06, 2018, 10:11:47 am »

Apparently this game is free on steam right now.
Base game only though.
I do not have a problem with this.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: April 06, 2018, 12:22:10 pm »

Yeah they are promoting a DLC sale while they're at it.

I didn't have this game, so very happy about it. How necessary is the DLC, is the base game fraught with issues?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: April 06, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »

Yeah they are promoting a DLC sale while they're at it.

I didn't have this game, so very happy about it. How necessary is the DLC, is the base game fraught with issues?
The base game doesn't have a lot of issues, which is nice.

But let's have yet another DLC overview:
-Sword of Islam: Do you want to play as Muslims? If yes, get it. Otherwise, skip.
-Legacy of Rome: Adds some events and mechanics for the East Romans and Orthodox Christians, but, far more importantly, it adds Retinues (think small-scale professional armies) into the game. A must.
-Sunset Invasion: Aztecs invade at some point for unbalanced hilarity. Grab if you want, or don't.
-The Republic: Much like Sword of Islam, it only added mechanics (that the AI will use even if you don't buy it) for a new type of government: Merchant Republics. Much like SoI, grab it if you want them.
-The Old Gods: Makes all Pagans (and Zoroastrians) playable. Also adds a new start date in 867, makes revolts more complex and adds adventurer claimants. Pretty good all around.
-Sons of Abraham: Makes Jews playable, but the real draw is a bunch of mechanics and events for Christians and Muslims, and a scant few for Zoroastrians, including stuff like Muslim schools of thought and the Catholic College of Cardinals. Good stuff.
-Rajas of India: Lets you play as Hindus, Buddhists, Jain and Taoists. Just go up and read what I typed for SoI.
-Charlemagne: Adds a new start date in 769, viceroy mechanics, and the ability to make custom kingdoms and empires.
-Way of Life: Oh boy, this one is actually pretty damn important. Y'see, it adds these things called Foci. You pick one for your ruler and get a bunch of events and mechanics based on it. Doesn't seem like much, but it helps a lot in breathing some life in your medieval drama.
-Horse Lords: Play as nomads (if you don't have this, they'll be tribal instead), plus dynamic mercenaries, raiding adventurers and tributaries. The last one is pretty important for some mods.
-Conclave: Probably my favorite one. It revamps how the Council and liege-vassal relations work, as well as reworking both laws and the child education system. Also favors. Get it.
-The Reaper's Due: Adds a host of events while also revamping the disease system allowing for stuff like epidemics, medics, hospitals and closing the gates to your demense. Very, very good, but not critical.
-Monks and Mystics: Adds societies (some secret) that you can join and take part in, a fourth activity for each councilor to perform, the ability to set goals in wars for your allies instead of letting them run around on their own, mass executions/ransoming, and artifacts (there are a few in the base game, but most are here). It may seem like a lot, but it's one of the simplest DLCs around.
-Jade Dragon: This is a bit curious in one aspect: if you don't have Horse Lords, it also gives access to tributaries. Aside from that, it adds China as an off-map power that you can interact with, plus new Casus Belli.

Aside from that there's the Ruler Designer and Customization Pack, which are fun but very much optional. On the comstic side of things you have music, portraits, units and dynastic crests. Of these only the portraits will heavily impact your enjoyment of the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:19:55 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: April 06, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »

Ruler creation can allow you to take some difficult starts and play your own way.  One of my favorite examples is a charismatic rogue character.  Murder all the things, and use factions to rebel against your liege to cripple the empire as you climb from count to king in 20 years.

Or the attractive female.

But it is by no means required, or even that overpowering.  You can pass on good traits, but they are surprisingly hard to keep in your lineage.  And your wife is always on the prowl.

But eg is usually the hardest part of the game, and this can give you that leg up, if you can make use of the specialization.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:34:26 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: April 06, 2018, 01:34:22 pm »

One of my favorite examples is a charismatic rogue character.  Murder all the things, and use factions to rebel against your liege to cripple the empire as you climb from count to king in 20 years.
Whenever I try this, the game game turns the RNG against me.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1002