Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2006319 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13140 on: April 06, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »

Holy geez that's like 50$ of DLC
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: April 06, 2018, 01:37:36 pm »

Conclave and Way of Life are the DLCs you probably want to focus on, if you don't have much money.
But don't take my word for it.

Edit: If you want historical accuracy, Sunset Invasion is likely not for you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:39:30 pm by Ultimuh »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: April 06, 2018, 02:12:33 pm »

I first learned of this game with "from norse to horse" so I'm cool with that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: April 06, 2018, 02:46:35 pm »

Apparently this game is free on steam right now.
Base game only though.
I do not have a problem with this.

I dl the game, started and it's asking me to login... exited and played DF some more.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »

Apparently this game is free on steam right now.
Base game only though.
I do not have a problem with this.

I dl the game, started and it's asking me to login... exited and played DF some more.
You do not need to actually login to play though.
Start the .exe directly from the game's folder, or put steam in offline mode.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:55:07 pm by Ultimuh »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: April 06, 2018, 04:16:42 pm »

Do you even need to do that? I thought logging in was optional.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:16 pm »

It is optional. The 'Play' button in the lower right corner of the launcher works fine when not logged in. I'm not even registered to whatever it is it wants me to log in to.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »

The login is for a Paradox Plaza forum account, but you don't really need one, unless you want access to certain mods.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: April 06, 2018, 05:57:26 pm »

I hadn't even noticed the login window until you mentioned it right now.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: April 06, 2018, 06:14:12 pm »

Just ignore it, if you give it attention it will only come back
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:19 pm »

Conclave and Way of Life are the DLCs you probably want to focus on, if you don't have much money.
But don't take my word for it.

Edit: If you want historical accuracy, Sunset Invasion is likely not for you.
If I were to name only two, it wouldn't be either of those. Legacy of Rome and Sons of Abraham are the ones best at improving on the base game, Conclave and WoL change the feel of the game more than the quality. I play with them enabled, but they're more like extra systems tacked on than an improvement to what was already there.

In terms of value for money, I'd say Old Gods is best, but I wouldn't recommend it until you've played a standard Christian game or three and want something new.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:27:59 pm by Cruxador »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: April 06, 2018, 09:05:59 pm »

Way of Life is a must have, since it gives you something to do when you’re not managing war and bothersome vassals. Conclave I think was the one that added the education stuff, making that a bit more interesting too.

Not really sure what other one I would choose. Retinues seem to be quite highly valued round here, I personally don’t see much point to them. Expensive troops you’re paying for all the time; if they get in one fight you’re haemorrhaging cash even at half recruitment speed. They’re only really useful when you can get lots of them, and by the time you can get lots of them your demesne holdings are likely going to be giving you just as much bang for your buck.

I like pagans and early starts, so it’d probably be Old Gods. Republics aren’t all that interesting, Muslims are entertaining, as are nomads. India can be hit or miss, but you tend to be dealing with Eastern religions, and have to go up against the Muslim blobs if you want to expand westward so isn’t all that great. Tribes can be fun too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: April 06, 2018, 10:45:32 pm »

retinues
Retinues are worth it because some of them are really, really good. Especially with commanders of specific cultures. An example would be the Italian retinue with Scottish commanders. Also they are critical when you start getting close to the later dates.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: April 07, 2018, 10:07:19 am »

I think I am beginning to grasp how some of the game works  :D

Third restart, playing as Duke Dirk of Holland. Finally things seem to be going rather well.
First I happily joined the Kaiser in the de jure war for Zeeland, after which he transferred vassalage to me.
Not much later, he must have appreciated me joining forces with his army in the battle for Zeeland, he granted me the title Commander of the Holy Roman Empire.
Married a Norwegian Duke's daughter with decent stats and only positive traits (19/5/10/5/9).
Declared war on Gotfried III of Lower Lorraine over my de jure claim on Sticht, which was won easily.
Bribed all bishop into liking me enough to pay me taxes, married off the one sister that doesn't like me to a lunatic somewhere far away to get her out of my court, built a castle wall in Holland, and started a plot to revoke the County of Zeeland title.
Ofcourse the Count of Zeeland wouldn't go down without a fight, but his forces stood no chance against the troops lead by my now proficient commander Duke.

So yay, managed to get my demesne to 3/3 for the first time. It's only april 1073, my Duke's only 19.
No male heir yet, even though my wife just gave birth to a daughter.
I guess I should try to become King of Frisia next.

EDIT: Heh, my wife died after giving birth to a second daughter. I am now married to the 43 year old Queen Mother of England, who has a claim to the Kingdom of France, and the Duchy of Flanders, which could prove interesting.
EDIT: she is also a dwarf
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:30:14 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: April 07, 2018, 11:23:12 am »

EDIT: she is also a dwarf
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1002