Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990492 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13275 on: April 14, 2018, 03:08:51 am »

How do you make screenshots of CKII? I tried PrintScreen, shift-PrintScreen, alt-PrintScreen and ctrl-PrintScreen, but nothing seems to get the CKII game to load into copypasta memory. all I got when I ctrl-v'd in paint was a screenshot of bay12forums.

I play it off of Steam and use the F12 shortcut that Steam uses for screenshots. When playing outside of Steam though, no idea.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: April 14, 2018, 04:40:04 am »

...Really, guys? When I need your help, the best you can do is a measly hundred troops or so, but as soon as you get pissy about me taking steps to prevent some jerk from stealing counties, you raise almost two-thousand of them?

Note to self: periodically execute all vassals that aren't direct relatives, so as to prevent this kind of fuckery.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: April 14, 2018, 06:34:05 am »

They aren’t obliged to give you their entire levy when you need it :p

You can increase the size of their levy through some obligation laws in the laws tab, but you’ll receive less money from whichever group you decide you want more from.

You can also keep their opinion high, else they’re disinclined to provide all that many troops.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:47 am »

They aren’t obliged to give you their entire levy when you need it :p

You can increase the size of their levy through some obligation laws in the laws tab, but you’ll receive less money from whichever group you decide you want more from.

You can also keep their opinion high, else they’re disinclined to provide all that many troops.

Yeah, if they dislike you they’re excellent at hiding all their swordsmen in the cupboards, under floorboards, clinging to ceiling like bats whenever your Marshall comes around to collect them for a war
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: April 14, 2018, 09:49:50 am »

...Really, guys? When I need your help, the best you can do is a measly hundred troops or so, but as soon as you get pissy about me taking steps to prevent some jerk from stealing counties, you raise almost two-thousand of them?

Note to self: periodically execute all vassals that aren't direct relatives, so as to prevent this kind of fuckery.

I think those are their personal levies? I'm not sure. What annoys me more are the bishopics, they refuse to give more than a token force.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: April 14, 2018, 09:56:46 am »

I think those are their personal levies? I'm not sure. What annoys me more are the bishopics, they refuse to give more than a token force.
Cities should actually be giving a smaller portion than bishops, it's just that they have more to begin with.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: April 14, 2018, 10:05:04 am »

Funny thing is my god-emperor grand prince character has curiously little control over the empire at present.  I created a few duchoes and kingdoms over the years and now they routinedly wage war against each other and ignore me.  Changing laws to ban this is going to be hard. I'm beginning to feel bad for when I exploited the Byzantine empire in a like fashion to carve out a few counties for the budding Amalfi republic
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: April 14, 2018, 11:19:30 am »

Funny thing is my god-emperor grand prince character has curiously little control over the empire at present.  I created a few duchoes and kingdoms over the years and now they routinedly wage war against each other and ignore me.  Changing laws to ban this is going to be hard. I'm beginning to feel bad for when I exploited the Byzantine empire in a like fashion to carve out a few counties for the budding Amalfi republic
If there's one thing CK2 is really good at, it's at demonstrating how feudal society's military obligations and governance actually worked.

A lot of people think that a king has absolute power over everyone in his dominion. But in reality it was more like how CK2 shows it to be, in where it was more just a... guideline and a series of poorly held-together legal contracts that people kinda ignored if they wanted to. I mean we as players also do the same. How many times have we been called into an alliance war only to say "yeah we'll help you" then not send any troops because we can't be bothered.

That's why these days I always find it kinda funny when you get some token medieval / fantasy game where the big bad is some evil empire spanning the globe is ruled under an iron fist. Bitch that shit is hard as fuck. What kind of god-tier bureaucracy does that guy have? Did he nerve-staple everyone? That's why I actually liked it in the Witcher when they showed that the Niflgardian empire was actually really fragile under the Emperor's rule as all the nobles were extremely displeased with his warmongering. Or in Warhammer 40k where the Imperium is basically held together by sticky tape. Whereas in Final Fantasy or whatever you got one superking and his secretly-the-final-boss advisor ruling the entire universe with no problems except for one plucky rebel group composed of 6 teenagers and an adult.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: April 14, 2018, 11:23:39 am »

I thought there'd be some sort of special mechanic or storyline for the HRE (besides the formation of it and the Hansa at a later date), but I guess not....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:06:18 pm by smjjames »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:56 am »

Finally get done unifying Iberia under the iron fist of Portugal. Raided by Canarias over and over through the whole campaign of stomping out Al-Andalusia and the Umayyad-bros. Work up some boats to crush the pesky little islands to keep them from raiding me. They raise 15k troops with no attrition.

Fuck you, Canarias. That's bullshit. That is all.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: April 14, 2018, 11:53:47 am »

Finally get done unifying Iberia under the iron fist of Portugal. Raided by Canarias over and over through the whole campaign of stomping out Al-Andalusia and the Umayyad-bros. Work up some boats to crush the pesky little islands to keep them from raiding me. They raise 15k troops with no attrition.

Are they still tribal? If so, they probably burned all their prestige and maybe piety (if they are west african pagan) to raise tribal levies. Those are 100% light infantry, so they look more threatening than they actually are.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: April 14, 2018, 11:58:51 am »

Are they still tribal? If so, they probably burned all their prestige and maybe piety (if they are west african pagan) to raise tribal levies. Those are 100% light infantry, so they look more threatening than they actually are.
Yeah, but I don't have the boats to give them a real threat whenever this happens. It's just a thing for me, I guess.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: April 14, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »

What good CK2 mods are there? I started out as Charlemagne and that seemed somewhat easy (I did later use the cheat to get more cash, but I used that during the 'spawn of the devil' character, lol). I also like the various storylines and stuff that was in an EUIV mod and there doesn't seem to be much in CK2, even with almost all of the expansions.

I looked at the wiki and theres CK2+ and Historical Immersion Project, though not sure which one would be best.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:47 pm »

What good CK2 mods are there? I started out as Charlemagne and that seemed somewhat easy (I did later use the cheat to get more cash, but I used that during the 'spawn of the devil' character, lol). I also like the various storylines and stuff that was in an EUIV mod and there doesn't seem to be much in CK2, even with almost all of the expansions.

I looked at the wiki and theres CK2+ and Historical Immersion Project, though not sure which one would be best.
I'm not into the "vanilla +" mods like CK2+ or HIP, but from what I understand CK2+ feels like the base game with more stuff while HIP tries to make the game's scale feel much grander with a lot of heavy reworks.

Game of Thrones mod is good if you're into that.

There's a mod called "After the End" that moves the setting to a fictional post-apocalyptic America, if weird original stuff is your kind of thing. The main branch is on hiatus but a fan fork has been started and seems to be pretty popular.

It should be noted, though, that CKII is way harder to make lengthy event chains for, because there's a lot more "entropy" than EUIV. EUIV event chains tend to involve things like generalized "noble unrest" (e.g. PLC, Sweden, Denmark, England) or nations being granted free claims or land (e.g. Burgundian inheritance.) The fact that lesser nobles and provincial governors are fundamentally independent actors in CKII makes this sort of thing impossible.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: April 14, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »

Honestly, I have more fun raw-editing people into the game and playing them that way than really any of the mods provide. Really the only mods I use are "No Hassles Vassals," and "Give Minors" for QoL stuff, and "Sin Realms" which lets me start the game in different ways (form a republic off the bat, stuff like that.)

Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1002