Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010947 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13290 on: April 14, 2018, 12:35:34 pm »

It should be noted, though, that CKII is way harder to make lengthy event chains for, because there's a lot more "entropy" than EUIV. EUIV event chains tend to involve things like generalized "noble unrest" (e.g. PLC, Sweden, Denmark, England) or nations being granted free claims or land (e.g. Burgundian inheritance.) The fact that lesser nobles and provincial governors are fundamentally independent actors in CKII makes this sort of thing impossible.

I haven't significantly modded CKII (I've only extensively modded EU4 and HoI3) so I can't corroborate how difficult it is, but what I find funny about this is that vanilla CKII has way more event chains than vanilla EU4. EU4 has practically none, while CKII is comparatively loaded with them, and in general has a much higher quality of scripting.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: April 14, 2018, 12:37:38 pm »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13292 on: April 14, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »

CK2+ is basically adding stuff into Vanilla so that it feels basically like Vanilla, but with more everything (it has Chalcedonian Christianity for example, in the earlier start-dates. It gives each main-branch of Christianity a way to mend the schism, or a way to prevent the schism if you start earlier. It has mechanics to make empires collapse, and interesting stuff like Coronation and stuff.)

After the End is a really awesome total-conversion mod. I cannot recommend it more highly in terms of quality. Especially if you personally live North or Central America, it's just loaded with stuff. Even the music is A+. That said, the main branch is on hiatus and was never updated for M&M or Jade Dragon, so the Fan Fork is probably a good idea.

HIP is good if you want a more historical playthrough, or much more radically different CK2 gameplay (CK2+ is much more restrained in that respect). It has a huge amount of settings and stuff for determining exactly HOW historical you want to make things. (Also, one thing I found rather neat in HIP was the ability to mark one or more AIs with a "Lucky" trait, which is inherited by their heir and makes them super strong and intelligent ambitious and likely to be powerful later on.)

There's also other mods, like When the World stopped making sense (Dark ages), the Game of Thrones one that I hear so much about, and that Warhammer one "Geheimnisnacht" (which, last I heard, was really good, but fairly slow, although that was a while ago. Wiki says it's still active though, and that was before Reaper's Due made the game a lot faster, so YMMV.) and other mods, but I don't know much about those beyond that they exist and I see screenshots of them occasionally.

TL;DR: Here's a link to the CK2 wiki pages for CK2+, HIP, and After the End. I don't know of any QoL improvement mods that I would personally recommend.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13293 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27:47 pm »

It should be noted, though, that CKII is way harder to make lengthy event chains for, because there's a lot more "entropy" than EUIV. EUIV event chains tend to involve things like generalized "noble unrest" (e.g. PLC, Sweden, Denmark, England) or nations being granted free claims or land (e.g. Burgundian inheritance.) The fact that lesser nobles and provincial governors are fundamentally independent actors in CKII makes this sort of thing impossible.

I haven't significantly modded CKII (I've only extensively modded EU4 and HoI3) so I can't corroborate how difficult it is, but what I find funny about this is that vanilla CKII has way more event chains than vanilla EU4. EU4 has practically none, while CKII is comparatively loaded with them, and in general has a much higher quality of scripting.
I meant in terms of national event chains, which I think that smjjames was asking about. CKII has a ton of chains that just fire based on traits or culture or whatever, but there's very few chains tied to titles the way EU4 has chains tied to nations.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: April 14, 2018, 02:15:59 pm »

be duke of Connecticut
claim boston
claim new york and its 600gdp
British come 51 years into the game
surrender
lose all counties but worchester, a tribe
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: April 14, 2018, 03:42:30 pm »

the agot one is really really nice, and that was before horse lords even. loads more development since then.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »

The Game of Thrones one is worth playing if only for the mega-war system. Makes empires feel a bit more like empires.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13297 on: April 14, 2018, 04:05:19 pm »

The Game of Thrones one is worth playing if only for the mega-war system. Makes empires feel a bit more like empires.
The dynamic war system where all the vassals get to choose sides is easily the best thing about that mod, and the rest of the mod is damn swell too. Makes managing relationships more important - sending that Duke who hates you under a loyalist King is still a potential threat when that Duke gets the option to join forces with a pretender

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: April 14, 2018, 05:58:18 pm »

After the End is a really awesome total-conversion mod. I cannot recommend it more highly in terms of quality. Especially if you personally live North or Central America, it's just loaded with stuff. Even the music is A+. That said, the main branch is on hiatus and was never updated for M&M or Jade Dragon, so the Fan Fork is probably a good idea.
A lot of the central america stuff is a bit light on special content. Really, most religions in generally are feature-light compared to vanilla, and very much so compared to something like HIP. The religions that have gotten more focus (I'd recommend Americanists most of all, with Rust Cultists and Cetics also nice choices) are great, though. Current dev focus (in the fan fork, which is the only fork at the moment and is separate only to respect the wishes of the original dev) is adding societies, so if you want those you should wait for the next update, though. They're intending to have some available for every religion, so that should help things.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13299 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:56 am »

The fan fork looks like it'll be bloody brilliant. In the next update they're adding a "carpetbagger" melting pot culture that forms when a Yankee ruler owns Dixie territory and swapping out the atomic faith that the Russians had been using as a placeholder with an elaborate S.T.A.L.K.E.R. reference.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: April 15, 2018, 05:03:13 am »

The event option when they invade better be "Get out of here, stalker"
Love, scriver~

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: April 15, 2018, 09:20:42 am »

I am about to start playing the CK2+ mod with all the DLCs and have just noticed the option for defensive pacts.

What is everyone's opinion on defensive pacts?  do they make things harder in a fun way?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: April 15, 2018, 09:28:36 am »

Theyre annoying.
They effectively kill an emperor's ability to expand into other (smaller) blobs, but do nothing to stop you from killing small duchies or counties.
They last for up to 20+ years in the extreme, and dont have a good mechanic for the ai to analyze your actual intentions or threat level.
They allow ai to attack you but you cant retaliate without pissing off the whole world.

When the aztecs land, watch what happens to the nature of warfare.  Everybody stops DoWing new people, because the aztecs keep rofl-stomping and gaining threat.  While the ai is in their involuntary wars, they aren't attacking their neighbors.  They are keeping their levies raised, and paying upkeep for them.

they are annoying and poorly designed, but if you want to keep yourself from dominating a continent (or three), then they are useful enough for the task.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: April 15, 2018, 09:45:06 am »

Pretty much.

I want something like that to aid against blobbing happening, but I don't think what's actually ingame works well or is fun. I've turned it off.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:29 am »

I am about to start playing the CK2+ mod with all the DLCs and have just noticed the option for defensive pacts.

What is everyone's opinion on defensive pacts?  do they make things harder in a fun way?

They're in vanilla too, and yeah, I find them rather annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1002