Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010954 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13335 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:07 pm »

Also, the fact that this is a free goddamn feature is amazing, especially by Paradox standards.

yeah, credit here for sure. what % of people who are going to ever buy ck2 don't already own it?

Given this and the amount of DLC out, I wonder if it would be viable for them to just go the route of making the base game permanently free.  They did get a bunch of players during that time, after all.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: May 15, 2018, 01:40:12 am »

Also, the fact that this is a free goddamn feature is amazing, especially by Paradox standards.

yeah, credit here for sure. what % of people who are going to ever buy ck2 don't already own it?

Given this and the amount of DLC out, I wonder if it would be viable for them to just go the route of making the base game permanently free.  They did get a bunch of players during that time, after all.
Well, we don't have their sales statistics. There may be enough people who buy the base game and pirate the DLC to make them wary of that.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »

How would they get statistics on people who pirated the DLC though? Keeping track of which people's savefiles have which things on their games or something?

'Cause if a form of DLC piracy makes it past copy protection, then by definition it makes it past copy detection, which would otherwise detect things like piracy, so it wouldn't be spotted, right?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: May 16, 2018, 02:28:18 am »

Not piracy statistics. They just see who has the base game and whether or not they also have DLC. If there's a lot of people who buy the game but not the DLC, then it doesn't make economic sense to give people the base game for free in order to sell DLC. It doesn't matter economically whether those players play without DLC or play with pirated DLC. The reason I brought it up is because it can depress DLC purchase numbers relative to purchases of the base game.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: May 16, 2018, 04:32:39 am »

Well, we don't have their sales statistics. There may be enough people who buy the base game and pirate the DLC to make them wary of that.

There was a while where I owned the base game and a couple DLC but still played a pirated version to have all of them. Although it's easier to just pirate and entire version (game + all DLC) so I just never used my actual copy. Same for EUIV (although now that I'm filthy rich due to working, I plunked for all the DLC with actual monies and play that).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: May 16, 2018, 04:39:50 am »

Long time ago it was easier to pirate things than to buy them proper. Now with Steam and its automatic updating, downloads, save cloud and library keeping I find it easier to buy them proper. If there had been no frequent updates it would have been a different story though.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:15 am »

So being actively involved in devving your game is copy protection . . . :O  Toady, you cheeky git
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: May 16, 2018, 07:03:30 am »

I think it is, as long as you make the updates relatively inaccessible and cumbersome to apply.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:38 am »

make the updates relatively inaccessible and cumbersome to apply.

Radsoc, cease and desist at once! You’re giving them ideas!

We don’t need to give them ideas!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »

Also nice changes in the "spring cleaning" patch they just released: Culture building now depends on what culture the province has rather than the owner, and cultural buildings are not destroyed upon culture change, just disabled.
Love, scriver~

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:12 pm »

Also nice changes in the "spring cleaning" patch they just released: Culture building now depends on what culture the province has rather than the owner, and cultural buildings are not destroyed upon culture change, just disabled.

another thing people have been clamoring for for, oh, 5+ years

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: May 16, 2018, 03:49:35 pm »

another thing people have been clamoring for for, oh, 5+ years
Yeah, the changes lately seem to be along the lines of fleshing out what exists and improving the base game rather than just adding new stuff, which is good. But it does cast light on how many obvious changes have fallen by the wayside up until now.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: May 17, 2018, 10:25:08 am »

So they’re actually doing things that don’t involve more DLC?

That’s nice, I guess

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »

So they’re actually doing things that don’t involve more DLC?

That’s nice, I guess
They are doing a DLC, but this won't be part of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: May 19, 2018, 04:36:57 am »

Well the DLC is properly announced now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/baptism-or-war-force-the-choice-in-crusader-kings-ii-holy-fury.1098280/

Of note, it includes coronations, which if I'm not mistaken is the last of the CK1 features that were cut for CK2.
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1002