Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009855 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13605 on: August 17, 2018, 02:57:49 pm »

My current game is just a constant sequence of being totally surprised by the AI in new and strange ways. The biggest AI Byzantines I’ve ever seen - seriously, this thing stretched from northern Russia to deep into Persia, with +100k troops - was bad enough, but now it got subjugated by the Mongols. Who are Jain. And the Byzantine lords converted to Jain en masse. I’ve lived the entire game in fear of the Byzzies as Lombardy->Italy... and now instead I border an absolutely massive Mongol Empire. It’s so beautiful I think I have to swear fealty.

Also fun: Italy got Doge’d at one point and spent a good century as a phenomenally stable Serene Republic (then I came along).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: August 17, 2018, 06:30:28 pm »

My current game is just a constant sequence of being totally surprised by the AI in new and strange ways. The biggest AI Byzantines I’ve ever seen - seriously, this thing stretched from northern Russia to deep into Persia, with +100k troops - was bad enough, but now it got subjugated by the Mongols. Who are Jain. And the Byzantine lords converted to Jain en masse. I’ve lived the entire game in fear of the Byzzies as Lombardy->Italy... and now instead I border an absolutely massive Mongol Empire. It’s so beautiful I think I have to swear fealty.

Also fun: Italy got Doge’d at one point and spent a good century as a phenomenally stable Serene Republic (then I came along).
What's best: since they are Jain, it mean they are very much not aggressive at all. Clearly you should join the Khanate of Peace.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: August 17, 2018, 06:56:43 pm »

It’s be that much harder to break them from the inside though, since Jains get bonuses for realm stability, though I can’t remember what they are.

Also, tell that to the Byzantines :o

Sad at the game though; was Scottish Shia, trying to revoke a duchy title, which I can apparently do without bothering off the aristocracy even without a reason.

Suddenly tyranny revolt with 2.5 times my troops. They’re not bothered ‘til they get bothered, apparently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: August 17, 2018, 07:42:18 pm »

Just because you can revoke titles without a reason doesn't mean that the guy you're revoking them from won't get pissy. Or that he'll call in his allies if you do.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13609 on: August 17, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »

They’re not bothered ‘til they get bothered, apparently.

B O T H E R E D
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:04 pm »

Nah they was all Shia, and there was no ally calling it was just immediate 2/3 of your empire is revolting against you ‘cause you did something you’re allowed to do.

Haven’t touched the game since, maybe I’ll beat the 31k of them with my 13k troops. I mean I’m kinda centralized and they’re not... but I can’t be bothered heh
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: August 17, 2018, 11:19:48 pm »

Revoking titles can cause a huge revolt, but imprisoning someone (even if they escape and take up arms) won't. So it's better to imprison someone FIRST, and THEN take their titles. Even if you fail to imprison, they'll still only be one duke, and revoking a title from an imprisoned person is 100% guaranteed after all.

Plus, if they revolt, you get a free reason to revoke. ;P Though, uh, imprisoning without cause is a bit hefty on the opinion penalty.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13612 on: August 17, 2018, 11:22:02 pm »

Revoking titles can cause a huge revolt, but imprisoning someone (even if they escape and take up arms) won't. So it's better to imprison someone FIRST, and THEN take their titles. Even if you fail to imprison, they'll still only be one duke, and revoking a title from an imprisoned person is 100% guaranteed after all.

Plus, if they revolt, you get a free reason to revoke. ;P Though, uh, imprisoning without cause is a bit hefty on the opinion penalty.

That’s why I just went for the revoke. No opinion penalty, but evidently that doesn’t mean people who already don’t like you won’t just gang up on you.

To be fair the penalty for losing outright is abdicating, but I can’t remember if terrible things also happen to the very recently invoked Imperial administration.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: August 18, 2018, 04:03:54 am »

What's best: since they are Jain, it mean they are very much not aggressive at all. Clearly you should join the Khanate of Peace.

Mongol/nomad AI seems to overrule Jain AI. They haven’t done any big invasions for a while, though. The Byzzies were a religious mess even before this, though - secret Ibadi cults had just turned the whole shebang Muslim for the second time, with oddly few opinion penalties. The biggest Byzzie vassal is still Ibadi, but he gets the same +15 Liege is Jain opinion modifier as everyone else. The game has seen a lot of this kind of religious chaos, I think allowing religious intermarrying in the rules is to blame.

It’s be that much harder to break them from the inside though, since Jains get bonuses for realm stability, though I can’t remember what they are.

Also, tell that to the Byzantines :o

Sad at the game though; was Scottish Shia, trying to revoke a duchy title, which I can apparently do without bothering off the aristocracy even without a reason.

Suddenly tyranny revolt with 2.5 times my troops. They’re not bothered ‘til they get bothered, apparently.

Were they in a faction? I had the AI try to revoke my titles, and every faction member vassal joined in my defense. Good thing, too, since it turned an impossible war into a cakewalk. I’m not sure when or why this happens or if it’s supposed to, but it does.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13614 on: August 18, 2018, 10:41:37 pm »

Is Reaper's Due worth it? Some of the new mechanics sound cool but I don't think everybody just dying of illness creates a super interesting story.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: August 18, 2018, 10:58:59 pm »

It makes illnesses a bit more interesting, and... probably other things I can’t remember. I know the CKII wiki has a page on what’s in all the DLCs, and what they add to the game.

Fakeedit: link

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: August 18, 2018, 11:09:06 pm »

Is Reaper's Due worth it? Some of the new mechanics sound cool but I don't think everybody just dying of illness creates a super interesting story.
I was similarly apprehensive. But for what it's worth, it feels less like randomly punishing tedium and more like an extra dimension. People don't generally die like flies, as you have options to mitigate. The way it feels like, is if they took the random deaths from vanilla (the sudden 'character dies at 34 after an illness' kinda thing) and gave them some logical backstory, while giving you some control over what's happening.
More depth, rather than more death, is what it is.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: August 19, 2018, 12:11:08 am »

Plus you can appoint a lunatic as your court doctor and he’ll try to cure your food poisoning by chopping off a limb/face/balls
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: August 19, 2018, 03:51:31 am »

Plus you can appoint a lunatic as your court doctor and he’ll try to cure your food poisoning by chopping off a limb/face/balls
It's worth mentioning that castration is apparently a foolproof solution to heal any disease known to man.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: August 19, 2018, 06:42:31 am »

I've literally had syphilis cured by cutting out my eye too.

But yeah, and even if you take this with a bit of salt as I am a Paradox fanboy, I also feel it adds fun and/or engagement rather than just add tedium.

But then again, the only DLC I really don't like is... Whatever the Lifestyle Focus one was called. And also the Child Education Overhaul part of whatever DLC that was part of.

In unrelated news, I started yet another Aladin Achievement attempt (as my last attempt ended with a God-Emperor that, while very cool in itself as a narrative, was simply too boring to continue playing as), and it turned out into one of those rare campaigns where the Zoroastrians had a complete comeback and kicked nearly all Muslims out of Persia/the eastern middle east. It's so damn typical that happens the one playthrough where I'm gonna have to mow through them all to get to Africa (and also a bit irritating that they're making it harder for me to convert to Islam), it would have been very interesting to see it developed without interruption from me.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1002