Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010385 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13680 on: September 02, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »

I think that goes to show that having fun with the process is the most important part of modding. The eventual result is what provides a goal to work towards and the problems to solve, but hardly any modders can go on if they aren't enjoying it.

For me, what killed my desire to release mods for active Paradox Interactive games was their DLC model that requires constant tedious maintenance and rewrites to keep mods updated, and worse, interrupts their development. I've avoided a release of the EU4 mod I've been working on for about 2 years for that reason, and it isn't a surprise to me that the scene in general is so lackluster (maybe the players don't perceive this, but the scene is far weaker than it should be; virtually all mods cease updating within a few patches or never see release beyond maybe a dozen significant gameplay mods for each game that persist for longer).

Cooperating for a group project sounds like its own minor nightmare. I certainly couldn't do it, with my erratic modding work cycle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: September 02, 2018, 06:43:10 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. I am probably going do to this one solo in order to diversify my skills. I was already forced to learn how to map and the basics of drawing because the previous project's map modder bailed. So for this one I'm probably going to try and get better at drawing to the point where I can finally draw faces, which is something I consider one of my main failings.

Of course, it being CK2 helps since it's at the end of its lifecycle so no game-changing patches like, say, Stellaris.

Well... D&D Eberron total conversion, here I go.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:09 pm »

Ck2 is well established.... hopefully if there is no more dlc we'll get good mods :)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: September 02, 2018, 09:35:23 pm »

Ck2 is well established.... hopefully if there is no more dlc we'll get good mods :)
Either that or the interest will die.  But yeah, After the End is going good again for one thing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: September 02, 2018, 09:40:02 pm »

Ooh, it's still updating?  I love that mod!  It's strangely appealing to play one's local area, even if it's part of the Holy Columbian Confederacy, heh.

Wasn't hard to take control from Best Carolina~

But there was at least technically content for a lot of South America and the Caribbean!  And the weird Californian system which I think was like the Papacy.

And rust cultists, hehe...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13685 on: September 03, 2018, 04:49:16 am »

California was cool, it was like a tiny little bit of Three Kingdoms China. Playing as the irrelevant Emperor and steadily climbing in actual power was always a fun time

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: September 03, 2018, 12:16:24 pm »

Ooh, it's still updating?
The fan fork is, the original fork is long dead. The fan fork actually did have a bit of a slump during the summer because the main guy was busy and apparently nobody else has the ability to properly coordinate things, so the China equivalent (Brazil) isn't released, but it's compatible with the latest version of the game and has societies and a variety of other smaller improvements. But most of the big stuff being added now is for Latin America, the English-speaking areas are and were already in a pretty good place. So if you're in a "wait for updates" mood, you don't need to be as long as you're playing there. At least unless you're waiting for Holy Fury stuff, but that'll be ages since although most of the features seem relatively quick for modders to add, the DLC itself doesn't even have a release date yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: September 07, 2018, 10:22:45 am »

Swaying and Antagonising actions between characters. Interesting!

Also Polish/West-Slavic portraits confirmed, in case it wasn't before.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: September 07, 2018, 10:50:19 am »

There is a landless court mod that allows you to flee your states and seek asylum elsewhere. Only problem is thst there is no clear way to recover your lands so you're kind of stuck into permanent courtier mode. Still, I had a blast for a while with my itinerant High Priest of Lucifer who went around Europe causing mayhem until the Inquisition caught up with him
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: September 07, 2018, 11:22:46 am »

There is a landless court mod that allows you to flee your states and seek asylum elsewhere. Only problem is thst there is no clear way to recover your lands so you're kind of stuck into permanent courtier mode. Still, I had a blast for a while with my itinerant High Priest of Lucifer who went around Europe causing mayhem until the Inquisition caught up with him

Could you perhaps use favours to make people (I think they have to be your liege) make war for your claims?
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: September 07, 2018, 06:53:00 pm »

Well, the mod I was working on for this game sort of died out due to real life reasons, a lot of "idea people" coming forth saying they can contribute and another team for the same idea popping up, refusing to work together
Dear God, your experience with modding echos my own. When you first see a group of strangers on the internet band together to work on a complex project for free, you think "Wow, this is amazing", but then reality ensues, the project falls apart, and you feel crushed. It really teaches you the importance of those dreaded leadership skills my high school kept going on about.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »

Well, if you're sad to see something die, you can always take charge and make it live. Especially if you're already on the team so you don't have to worry as much about people who get salty when their contributions are overshadowed.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: September 07, 2018, 11:38:24 pm »

So this is completely unrelated to the previous conversation, but if you had to choose, which of these two dlcs should I buy: Sons of Abraham or Horse lords? I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm torn between the two and I can't buy both due to budgetary reasons. I don't care about the fact that Sons of Abraham is cheaper.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13693 on: September 08, 2018, 06:07:45 am »

So this is completely unrelated to the previous conversation, but if you had to choose, which of these two dlcs should I buy: Sons of Abraham or Horse lords? I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm torn between the two and I can't buy both due to budgetary reasons. I don't care about the fact that Sons of Abraham is cheaper.
Sons of Abraham probably. If you have Sword of Islam and the Old Gods already Horse Lords is dank beans as you can settle down your nomadic Empire with all the religions

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: September 08, 2018, 09:22:20 am »

Sons of Abraham reworks Christianity so it kinda makes sense, there's a handful of cardinals that the pope can come from.  You can also play as the jews, all three of them!

Horse lords reworks the nomads, makes them broken if you really abuse the mechanics.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1002