Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008685 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #13860 on: October 10, 2018, 05:42:31 pm »

Well, if you were all engaged in jolly cooperation against the AI, the game would be easy, after all.
The only issue was that I'd been making it easy for them and harder for myself, offering support to them whilst imposing restrictions on myself - I've been playing using just one Kingdom whilst they both went for Imperial Administration, min-maxed expansion. It's the awful moment you realise that your characters are all diplomats and theirs are elusive shadows xD

It's a pity because we originally did have jolly cooperation so powerful it restored the Orthodox Pentarchy

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13861 on: October 11, 2018, 09:43:54 am »

Well, if you were all engaged in jolly cooperation against the AI, the game would be easy, after all.
The only issue was that I'd been making it easy for them and harder for myself, offering support to them whilst imposing restrictions on myself - I've been playing using just one Kingdom whilst they both went for Imperial Administration, min-maxed expansion. It's the awful moment you realise that your characters are all diplomats and theirs are elusive shadows xD

It's a pity because we originally did have jolly cooperation so powerful it restored the Orthodox Pentarchy

THE CHEEKY BUGGER IS THE OPPOSITE OF JOLLY COOPERATION

I spent most of the game as a Yuan tributary, while the British had barony-tier embassies which kept them in diplomatic range of the Yuan dynasty. The British had been storing up considerable grace through the selling of artifacts and eunuchs, though I always assumed it was spent on engineers, doctors and the such. Having spent a century and a half trying to regain my lands from the Byzantines, the stars aligned and a perfect opportunity presented itself.
For reasons unknown, my Brother inherited a strong claim to the Byzantine Empire.
I imprisoned my three children and executed them all. This act of brazen kinslaying tyranny incensed all of my vassals into assassinating me, passing the throne to my heir. After a year of consolidating my court (which had a -65 opinion of me based off my my now dead brother's tyranny), I swore fealty to the Byzantine Empire and set up a faction to install me as ruler. Both my friend in Britain and my friend in Germany were well aware of this.

The Byzantines went from being a paltry, dying thing, to an incendiary pheonix stretching from Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean. Then it became a paltry dying thing fighting a revolt against an incendiary pheonix stretching from the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean: The Kingdom of Diogenes mobilized over 109,000 troops to fight the Byzantine's 9,000, with my real main opposition being the other two faction revolts also fighting to claim the Byzantine Throne. My friend in Germany was helping the Byzantines put down one of these revolts, with that revolt having lasted for 20 years.

I win the war and quickly rearrange my troops in order to crush the last rebel faction remaining when I receive a report which just confuses me. At first I thought the British and the Yuan dynasty were at war, then the truth of what had just occurred dawned on me. The British had spent 5000 grace to have the Yuan Empire dismantle all of my lands.

The British player lied horrendously through their teeth once they knew I knew it was them who'd done it. They cycled through a barrage of excuses - I didn't know it was you, I thought I was helping you by destroying the Empire you spent 150 years plotting to claim, I thought you wouldn't get destroyed if you were in a rebellion, you'll still keep a lot of your de jure lands (yeah 8 counties out of 500).

I must say I wasn't too concerned with rebutting these whilst 140,000 Mongol-Chinese troops were marching towards my borders, so I merely told the British that they were my enemy and left it at that. That 140,000 was not even counting their tributaries - 3,000 attacking Egypt, 20,000 Russians attacking the Baltics, 7,000 Indians attacking Persia. The Brits sent me 3,000 gold to try and prove they meant me no ill-will, but it was obvious they were just covering up - 3,000 gold was not much to either myself or him, and we both knew it would mean nothing when every Empire and Kingdom title was destroyed. He knew I was the Byzantines, and he called it the moment I wasn't a Yuan tributary.

Thank god the Germans stuck by their pact with me, as they continued to fight the Byzantine civil war faction which was in my rear. If I lost the civil war faction, the Mongols would still destroy all of my titles, so I was fighting a four front war at the same time as a civil war - truly without the Germans, there was no hope. When the Germans asked me how they could help me defeat the Mongols, I told them to send God, because there was little else they could do. I expelled the Jews to claim 5,000 gold, and summoned my mercenaries, my levies and my cataphracts, and stationed them all in Persia. The British delighted in hearing that I had never defeated the Chinese before, and the son of a bitch was a terrible liar, feigning dismay at my resilient ability to fund vast sums of troops ;D

Disaster struck when my troops, amassed in Persia, found instead that the Chinese were attacking the steppes north of the Caucausus mountains. They force sieged the provinces there, immediately bringing me to -99% warscore. The warscore from occupation was capped at -99% until 36 months was over, or the Mongols won 1 major battle. With my troops desperately rushing up to the Caucasus, I had 1 battle to win or lose.

My heartbeat: Palpitating. German player; Anxious. British player: Calm.
Battle won. Battle won. Battle won. Battle lost. Battle won. Battle lost.
I nearly died of stress when my 15,000 strong retinue of cataphracts was defeated and only 4,000 cataphracts survived. The Western Protectorate had 126,000 gold ducats so I wasn't going to win by attrition of gold, but when it came to manpower I was doing my damned best to make every battle hurt.

Numbers, the damned numbers. I was muttering to myself, you to Abkhazia, you to Lower Dnieppe, you to Azov, you to Crimea... When the warscore went up from -99% to -59%, I received a second report that the Chinese were sending reinforcements from the Indian ocean. The German player told me he saw 500 Chinese ships approaching the Diogenesian gulf of Persia. I redeployed all but 16,000 troops south from Aden to Oman and Hormuz in anticipation of this new threat. Months went by and I nervously made the call that the Chinese had landed in their tributary in India and were marching overland to attack in the North - I was partially right, they were attacking in the North and in Persia. My character in game replied: "What does it take to kill this beast?!!"

With every battle a desperate fight to stay in the war, I began to have a nervous breakdown which culminated in me singing several beatles songs with the lyrics altered to better represent my fear of the Mongol-Chinese legions. Help, I need someone, help, not just anybody, help, you know I need someone, help, won't you pleeeeeease please help me, OH GOD, SO MANY CHINEEEEEEEEEESE

It took what felt like years, but was really a matter of weeks, for me to realise the Chinese army of 200,000 men now numbered 12,000. My warscore from battles was capped at 100%, so I had to unsiege every sieged province - only at this point did I realise the Chinese tributaries had been called into the war. I had to send my armies from Persia to Egypt and the Baltics to unsiege all these provinces, and the last one in the Baltics was a nerve wracking siege to observe. When it was done the adrenaline in my blood made me thrilled and sick in equal measures, and I was screaming such profanity as unbecoming of an Orthodox King. But fuck it, fuck the dragon, I'm the dragonslayer bitch get fucked. GET FUCKED.

The British promptly used my victory to declare their own independence war against the Yuan Empire. With the Yuan's troops exhausted, their independence bid was simple.

In the aftermath of the war I set about reforming the Byzantine Empire. I intended to destroy the Imperial Title by casting it into the flames of Mt. Vesuvius, but by the time I won the great war I realised that my most powerful dukes had already declared themselves Kings and Queens, making a return to my previous system under the precious Kingdom of Diogenes impossible. I was now forced to become the Romans. I promptly set about reforming the Roman Empire, whilst planning an unlimited retribution against the dog of the British Isles - but that would have to wait. I had the Germans to support in their own civil war, while my Empire was vastly over its vassal limit. There now is less than 40 years until conversion to EU4

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: October 11, 2018, 10:09:18 am »

Gotta say, it sounds like a hell of a game and a well timed move from Britain. With the end of the time period drawing near, revoking those kingdoms may not be worth the hassle, better to just transfer vassals and make viceroyal kingdoms to get your vassals under the limit before this character dies.

I guess you've learned the lesson that Grand Strategy (and, indeed, history) teaches everyone: Placing trust in Perfidious Albion is courting your own peril.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13863 on: October 11, 2018, 12:52:15 pm »

Bewary the eternal Anglo: Never a friend, only an ephemeral interest

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:04:57 pm by Loud Whispers »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: October 11, 2018, 10:18:36 pm »

If you've got more screenshots of your game, I'd be happy to see them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: October 11, 2018, 10:22:34 pm »

Indeed, I love to see where these go.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: October 12, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WPTuvrUnEI

November 13th is the date bois. Here we go. Swan song to the series.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: October 13, 2018, 01:09:33 am »

Christ alive Loud Whispers. What a journey that was to read, I can only imagine playing through it.

What I do know is that you need to make Perfidious Albion suffer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:11 am »

Christ alive Loud Whispers. What a journey that was to read, I can only imagine playing through it.

What I do know is that you need to make Perfidious Albion suffer.

LW should offer to do the save porting and manually edit Britannia's name in the save file to Perfidious Albion
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: October 13, 2018, 09:29:14 am »

So I'm playing the Faerun mod, which is alpha and thus rough around the edges and the middle too.

Some raider pricks keep periodically showing up and pillaging my castle. The town that's also in the province has a much larger garrison however, so they can't actually siege it down, so they get bored and leave after ransacking my house.

After debasing the currency repeatedly, I come up with a plan. I build a second castle in the province, and once that's finished I make it the county capital, setting it at the front of the siege line, and putting my actual nice castle behind the city in the siege order.

The raiders still come and kick down my cardboard castle every few years, but my actual castle is now safely hidden behind the local city.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:32:51 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: October 13, 2018, 09:34:34 am »

Btw: holy fury has an official release date; 13th of november. Dunno if it has been said already
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13871 on: October 13, 2018, 01:12:46 pm »

I've done the save porting and we're now just trying to sort out some checksum issues. The British player is super salty that the German player has zero loyalty to him (or me for that matter, but we have a joint economic interest), while the German player wanted their country to be renamed from the Sexy Empire to Sexyreich. They both have 1,000 development each, I have over 4,000, and the way we're doing this is whoever wins in Hoi4 gets to take over Earth in Stellaris. I'm going to offer them both a concession; if they concede that I have already won, I will take the Commonwealth of Man and turn it into SPACE GREEKS, to symbolise the Greeks having made it to space first. I will then balkanise my Empire into several Diadochi Kingdoms, which should make for a very fun transition into Vic2 and Hoi4. I believe EU4 is all about determining what resource you're going to lack in - manpower, gold, mil, adm, dip, legitimacy and so forth, and acting accordingly in advance. If they know this, they will know that Britain, Germany, Africa and the Americas will leap ahead in value to an extent which will rival the Greek Empire.

We have compared our situation to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and how any dominant player will incur an alliance of the other two. The British are subsequently surprised that the alignment is against them, and not against me - but the German player and I have both calculated that while my lead is insurmountable at the present, the British are the only ones with a trade monopoly on the English channel, which will become the most valuable trade node in short order. With a capacity to control the New World which is unrivaled by either of us, their development will increase exponentially, while the union of France and Britain is a terrifying thing to behold. As time goes on and industrial power begins to supercede raw manpower, I know states like the British Empire and Sexyreich will be more than capable of achieving the local superiority needed to defeat any of my nation's fronts - especially if they secure Russia in a diplomatic alliance. But I don't think the British are willing to admit the potency of their own situation, or are otherwise ignorant of it. I myself ought to just attack them both and destroy them now, but I don't want to lest I hurt their feelings (unironically, having invested so much time into their Empires, my other friends would find it hilarious but not these two min-maxing metagamers). Which leads to the illogical situation where I more or less sit back and watch hostile powers who have tried to destroy me in the past grow more powerful, hence why I want to force a win ASAP so I can choose to do silly roleplay decisions instead of serious minmaxing ones.

In game, I don't even need to screw over the British to make them super salty. They want to take over the Cape of Africa and Australia so they can divert the Indian Ocean trade to Britain, and are getting increasingly salty that I'm going to pick exploration ideas first and shut them out of the Indian Ocean, and that I will end up making trade companies to ensure the British cannot steer Indian trade from me. I honestly don't understand why they believe I would be ok with a foreign power which has tried to destroy my country in the past gutting my economy in addition to taking all of North and South America. I also think I'm going to take the Falkland Islands and make it into a Greek stronghold, as a symbolic gesture to the British. I'm thinking I will colonise enough provinces in Argentina to trigger a colonial nation, then surrender all but the Falkland provinces to a native country. This should then leave an independent Falkland Greek colony which will continually develop throughout the game.

The world in 1444.

As before. Note that most of the Western cost of India is held by the Byzantine Empire; I captured almost the entirety of it in the last few years before the CK2 end year arrived. Subsequently the Germans and Britons planned dividing India, Sri Lanka, the East Indies, East Africa and Australia, believing it would still take some time for my troops to break into India... Before looking at the map in EU4 and realising with horror that I already controlled the Indian spice trade.

World religions. There are two catholic provinces left and no catholic nations. In the Iberian peninsula, the Perixid dynasty's heir became Jewish after being converted by her tutor, and she survived into EU4, subsequently the Perixid Kingdom is ruled by a Jewish minority. Its neighbour the Kingdom of Andalusia, had its King married off to a distant Turkish noblewoman, who at age 71 was considerably older than her 16 year old husband. She evidently had a good impression on her husband, as he converted to Buddhism, subsequently the Kingdom of Andalusia is ruled by a Buddhist minority. I fully intend to protect both Kingdoms and subsidize all of their efforts to colonise the new world. The Pentarchy has been restored, so nearly all of Europe is majority Orthodox. As protector of the Patriarchate of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, I really ought to not be protecting Jewish and Buddhist princes, but then again the Patriarch of Constantinople excommunicated my rulers on a weekly basis unprovoked so I figure I can justify it ;]

Culture mapmode. Until the last two Kings, I played the entirety of CK2 using only 1 Kingdom title. It was a self-imposed restriction to ensure I didn't expand too much as I hit the vassal limit hard, and it was all for the roleplay reason of a Kingdom being unified under a common culture and religion. With the advent of the British treachery and the inheritance of the Byzantine Empire, this rapidly turned into Alexandrian great conquest and world-Hellenism. My objective then is to make sure the Sexyreich complies with their promise to give the Baltic Greeks their own nation-state, while I myself will try to make as much of the world Greek as I can. There is one Breton county in Arabia, which is a remnant of the Latin Crusaders. If they accept my offer to concede my victory, I am going to release the world under various Greek warlords, and turn the Himalayan Mountain range into my Platonic Republic ruled by a Philosopher King, isolated from the Germanic barbarians and their squabblings!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: October 13, 2018, 01:28:00 pm »

Do I have to go into the EU4 thread to continue reading about this story?

I'd love to read about in a seperate story in the subforum!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: October 13, 2018, 03:50:58 pm »

Over 4000 development at game start definitely sounds like "already won" to me. If you're proactive in colonization and in eastward expansion, I don't see how even Britain's inevitable control of the new world will be able to overtake you. Complete domination of south Asia, East Africa, the Indian and Pacific oceans and everything in between does seem better than complete dominance of France, Britain, and the new world even though one would normally consider super ottomans inferior to super Britain.

It might even be worth some kind of rebel shenanigans to become animist in order to claim the mandate of heaven, as an eventual plan. Tributaries are great.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:28:55 pm by Cruxador »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: October 13, 2018, 04:46:12 pm »

Did you not use Indian Assault from the West DLC? I am dissapoint
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1002