Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008146 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14085 on: November 15, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »

Update: some random NPC went full Mithridates and Alexander the Great and I have no fucking clue how he did it. pls explain dis
Post pictures illuminated manuscripts.

Here you go: https://imgur.com/gallery/K9SDuQB

edit: holy shit he was actually from my realm, YOU GO BOY
edit 2: Just took a look at his kill list, he killed someone in a duel... at age 9.

'strangled a snake', isn't that part of the Hercules myth though, not Alexander the Great?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:46 pm »

Update: some random NPC went full Mithridates and Alexander the Great and I have no fucking clue how he did it. pls explain dis
Post pictures illuminated manuscripts.

Here you go: https://imgur.com/gallery/K9SDuQB

edit: holy shit he was actually from my realm, YOU GO BOY
edit 2: Just took a look at his kill list, he killed someone in a duel... at age 9.

'strangled a snake', isn't that part of the Hercules myth though, not Alexander the Great?
Didn't Alexander believe himself to be a descendant of Herakles or something?
My memory of history things tend to be a bit fuzzy, so I could be wrong.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #14087 on: November 15, 2018, 08:13:38 pm »

That's probably one of those conqueror (or whatever it was called) special characters.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:33 pm »

It's a completely normal world, I thought the conqueror guys were random world only? Or shattered world, I guess.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:15 pm »

Nah, the new update added a bunch of new events.

One of them is this, where Alexander is reincarnated into the world.

You can disable them if you don't like them in the game settings. Same like Satan's Child and the Chosen One and stuff like that.

There's a lot of them by the way now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:56 pm »

Also: something that you might not have noticed: in random worlds you create a custom history, and THEREFORE you can set whichever start date suits you and it WILL work. So even without mods you can potentially play a 1000+ years game

How do I do that though? In both shattered and random, there is no way to choose the start date while in the interface for shattered or random. The only way I can change the start date is by choosing one of the periods and I can't choose anything further back than 769.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: November 16, 2018, 04:07:00 am »

Added all those bonuses together for my amusement - I'm not sure if they're all additive or if some overwrite the others.

Diplomacy +6
Martial +10
Intrigue +8

Health +2
Personal Combat Skill +75
Plot Power Defense +50%
Damage +10%
Defense +10%
Global Movement Speed +10%

Ambitious Opinion +25
General Opinion +5
Vassal Opinion +15

National Tax Modifier +10%
Monthly Prestige +1

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: November 16, 2018, 04:50:04 am »

They are always additive unless specifically stated

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: November 16, 2018, 05:05:43 am »

Alright, so I picked Meritocracy upon reforming Slavic paganism, despite having doubts regarding how it'd jive with succession laws. Now I've adopted feudalism, and ultimogeniture. No sign of heir designation ability. Was the Meritocracy a waste of a reformation pick? How is it supposed to work?

By the way, starting as Könugarğr in the Viking age, the game seems much easier than before. I've done all of the above with the starting ruler, by 906. I'm not sure whether that's due to reshuffled map in the area, the warrior lodge perks keeping the ruler from dying in combat, or if something else is going on in the background.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: November 16, 2018, 05:53:33 am »

I think selecting your heir should work in most succession laws but may be disabled for primo and ultimo (probably senior as well) since they are explicitly set to the oldest/youngest as the heir. That being said I don't have much practice with it outside of a few short lived games in India where my laws were all default gavelkind but I could select the heir. it mostly just seems like a way to bypass voting issues (assuming that's how it works) and making gavelkind much easier to work with via heir selection instead of random or hard to maneuver how you want.

If you go to the kids portrait the button to assign them as heir should still be there (just greyed out) and if you hover over it, it will tell you why you can't select that person as your heir.

This is what the wiki says about who can be selected for the eastern religion groups that have it by default:

A child of the ruler (overriding age but not gender preference)

Note: you can never designate an heir who could be preempted
girls can't be selected under agnatic-cognatic, even if there are no sons
In the byzantine empire, regular children are invalid and only children Born in the can be designated. Even if one does not exist.
(Great with Ultimogeniture!) || Designate Designate Heir button
(above child's portrait)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:00:18 am by dennislp3 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: November 16, 2018, 07:00:45 am »

I think selecting your heir should work in most succession laws but may be disabled for primo and ultimo (probably senior as well) since they are explicitly set to the oldest/youngest as the heir. That being said I don't have much practice with it outside of a few short lived games in India where my laws were all default gavelkind but I could select the heir. it mostly just seems like a way to bypass voting issues (assuming that's how it works) and making gavelkind much easier to work with via heir selection instead of random or hard to maneuver how you want.

If you go to the kids portrait the button to assign them as heir should still be there (just greyed out) and if you hover over it, it will tell you why you can't select that person as your heir.
There is no longer a heir designation button, at all.
If it works as you describe, then it's a waste of a perk. All it would do is turn gavelkind into elective gavelkind, since that's the only one of the remaining ones (once you strike out primo- and ultimogeniture as well as seniority) that does not allow choosing the heir.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: November 16, 2018, 07:41:13 am »

Iirc from my Indian adventures you could still designate heirs when in ultimo and senior so that shouldn't matter, unless it has changed.

But yeah I remember seeing a thread in the bug section about Meritocracy. Or maybe in the general section complaining about a bug.
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #14097 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:22 am »

I've long since given up on trying to manage any of the inheritance systems in this game.

Just go seduction focus as soon as I inherit, invite a bunch of women into the court, and go around seducing until I get a son I like that I can legitimise.

Rinse and repeat as needed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:45:30 am by MorleyDev »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: November 16, 2018, 08:12:56 am »

Anyway, I've was playing as a crusader state last night (went de Bourgogne -> Jerusalem, now going for the Outremer Empire), and if that game was anything to go by, crusader stating just got hella lot harder to survive. I got Jerusalem and the Oultrejourdain duchy, but the Jaffa/Acre duchy went independent, and the Galilee was held by the Byzantines since before (immediately reconquered by a Seljuk vassal). So not only did I lack the strength of my homeland to defend myself with, but I also didn't get the entirety of my new kingdom. They really should make all new crusader states allied by default.

I also think there's a bug (or miscalculation, or whatever) currently where nobody seems interested in coming to my defence against Jihads (not even the Pope! Or my fellow crusader states!). I only survived by savescumming until both the Shia and Sunni Jihad targeted Anatolia and the Byzantines instead of me.

On the plus side, and I don't remember if this was mentioned in the dev diaries or not, but crusaders can now capture states outside of the target kingdom. For example, the Croatians took Antioch from the Seljuks, and promptly created the Duchy of Croatian Antioch, which is cool (I promptly force-vassalised them to consolidate the front, of course). I wonder how many other of those could be created.

Lastly, my starting character in this game was saintified by the Pope (Saint Eustache the Myrrh-Streaming, because apparently his corpse didn't rot but instead smelled very nice indeed, and that's totally true and don't you dare call me a liar!), so my play line goes Saint Eustache the Myrrh-Streaming, Duke Eustache the Sword of God of Flanders, and lastly Queen Adelinde the Guardian, Crusader Queen of Jerusalem. Which is a pretty bad-ass sequence of names and happenings.

edit: Meant the Duchy of Oultrejourdain, not Outremer
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:35:53 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:44 am »

I did the Boulogne -> Jerusalem -> Outremer thing yesterday, people only bother helping against Jihads if your borders are touching... really would be nice if they got the same treatment as crusades did, sigh.

Also, the crusader states can pop up in literally any duchy, even outside of the targeted kingdom. Dunno what triggers it besides dumb luck, but descending from the OG Crusader King/Queen apparently ups the odds.

edit: Pretty amusing how we seemingly went through the exact same first 50 years, though.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1002