Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2006377 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14175 on: November 21, 2018, 08:29:16 am »

clear the family tree
That's a really blasé way to refer to a series of methodical premeditated murders.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14176 on: November 21, 2018, 08:39:17 am »

That's a really blasé way to refer to a series of methodical premeditated murders.
A series of unfortunate accidents =/= Methodical murder

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:13 am »

A series of unfortunate accidents =/= Methodical murder
I'll have you know that Family Bonsai is a revered tradition in the far lands of fabled Tartaria.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: November 21, 2018, 02:01:29 pm »

I'm rather disappointed in the Papacy these days, they keep refusing to face my Fylkir in duels. Apparently an old man is too scary for those priests.

Granted said old man is leader of the Wolf Warriors, a war veteran of scary degree and wields Mjolnir.

Still I'm amazed by how many craven Popes seem to be popping (or should I say Poping?) up in my game.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: November 21, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »

Under certain circumstances one can also plot for a claim to the throne. But I'm not sure which circumstances.
Yeah, plots are mysterious like that.

Having the 'be duke/king/emperor' ambition probably helps.

Yeah, you’ll want to marry those daughters. Generally the easiest way to get yourself a throne is a claim or inheritance. The latter is generally more difficult as the AI tries to avoid making the heir to the throne someone else’s dynasty, so you’ll need plots or luck to clear the family tree so the kid in your reach can have a go. Realms with one or two sons and lots of daughters are good - you can usually marry the second or third in line and be just a few convenient deaths away from eventually inheriting. If it looks like the heir might become someone in another court or such, try to invite them to yours and matrimarry/marry them to your heir - the current ruler doesn’t ’own’ them so you can bypass the usual ’too high in the line of succession’ modifiers and steal the kingdom.

Even if you can’t inherit the place, these marriages will usually yield you kids with (generally weak) claims to the kingdom. You can try to get a faction going for you at that point, or just seize the throne in a war if you’re strong enough.

There’s also the option of declaring independence, conquering the kingdom from the outside and then recreating/usurping the title for yourself. Useful when you want the kingdom to get the same laws as your main title and don’t want to deal with councils and so - or if you can get a papal Invasion claim which, I think, gets you personally every holding in the realm to reassign as you wish. Obviously this is a bit of a non-standard option.

I also have to build the dynasty out from the start rather than having an established dynasty, so, I have to be more careful of inbreeding.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: November 21, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/9y0tld/ancestor_veneration_how_to_get_a_venerated/

Damn, wish I had read this. I reformed my religion and switched from Agnatic to Ancestor Veneration, and changed my religious leadership to Temporal (ie me).

After I died, I kept checking to see what my options would be for ancestor veneration, but nothing ever appeared!

Turns out I needed at least 1000 at time of death prestige, but I kept spending my prestige because I was busy upgrading my tribal holdings for the transition to feudal. Oops.

Even worse, it apparently seems that if you're playing as the religious head, you'll never get a chance to venerate yourself.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: November 22, 2018, 12:41:35 am »

And I would have gotten over 200, if it weren't for those pesky missing arm and leg.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: November 22, 2018, 12:56:46 am »

Time to join the Satanists and perform some faith healing
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: November 22, 2018, 01:12:52 am »

Stupid question, how do I de-blob the Empire of Francia or otherwise break it up? It's 947 and the Empire of Francia has gotten all of the Carolingan dynasty empires except parts of Italy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14184 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:46 am »

Stupid question, how do I de-blob the Empire of Francia or otherwise break it up? It's 947 and the Empire of Francia has gotten all of the Carolingan dynasty empires except parts of Italy.
Keep assassinating the Emperor until they get gavelkinded to death

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: November 22, 2018, 08:05:30 am »

Another option is to undermine the moral authority of the religion Francia follows, usually Catholic, and let them tear themselves apart with religious schisms. This can be problematic if you are yourself Catholic, unless you manage to snag Fraticelli, which is basically better than normal Catholic provided you can overthrow the old religion.

Assuming you're still House de Castille this isn't really an option, because you aren't particularly powerful enough or flexible enough in war declarations to snipe out holy sites.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: November 22, 2018, 08:34:48 am »

How do you get the "Found a bloodline" ambition? Numerous games I've had a metric shitload of prestige and/or piety and the option's yet to appear. I've seen a few AI get it, on the other hand.

And to answer the above: If you can, become a vassal of theirs. Then proceed to eat their vassals before exploding out of them like Alien.

I believe 5k prestige is the magic number you are looking for. Not sure the other requirements

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: November 22, 2018, 09:33:59 am »

Can't you just join a warrior lodge and build your legend yourself, like real men and women* do?

*and occasional bears and horses, I guess

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:07 am »

I've had over 5k prestige on numerous occasions. When I said a "metric shitload" I mean 10k+ prestige.

There’s a number of years at peace requirement IIRC and that character can’t already possess a bloodline created through the “get a bloodline” ambition, if that helps
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: November 22, 2018, 10:05:52 am »

IIRC that "Years of peace" is to found a certain bloodline (30 years I believe), not to get the ambition in the first place, and my character's not got a bloodline.

And I can't join a warrior lodge because I'm Muslim.
The CKII wiki lists the requirments here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Ambition

Have your rulers been content?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1002