Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2011122 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14295 on: December 09, 2018, 07:56:28 pm »

Up until the point where you're murdered and your painstakingly built empire falls around you as it gets gavelkinded amid your 150 direct male line descendants :p

Really, I've found that immortal characters have their own challenges because everything is trying to kill you.  You do have some advantages for empirebuilding in that succession laws become less relevant (but not wholly irrelevant... both because a sudden death can cause a huge collapse, and because if your vassals gain too much power they might make their own bid for power)  and because you'll inevitably rise to the top of your society, therefore gaining grandmaster powers
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: December 09, 2018, 10:22:40 pm »

the ultimate stable empire seems to be something like reformed hellenic with Peaceful, hierocratic, ancestor veneration, civilized. naturally you're the caesar augustus of the reformed roman empire a well.

i wonder if Peaceful blocks the Imperial Reconquest CB...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14297 on: December 09, 2018, 10:26:18 pm »

I’ve had a pretty peaceful empire with reformed African warmongering bloodthirsty and... whatever the thing is that sets the reformer as head of the religion. Can’t remember what the other one I chose was. Dogmatic?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: December 09, 2018, 10:40:58 pm »

the ultimate stable empire seems to be something like reformed hellenic with Peaceful, hierocratic, ancestor veneration, civilized. naturally you're the caesar augustus of the reformed roman empire a well.

Surely by the time you've done all that, you'll have finished reconquering the empire anyway.

I do like the idea of a megacampaign where you do all the usual Roman stuff, unite the Christians (first politically, then by marrying HRE and other major formerly Catholic blobs into your dynasty and doing some Seniority) and then converting all of Christendom to Hellenic... And along the way conquering far to the east, so that you can convert to EU4 and use your pagan religion to seize the mandate of heaven. I don't think such a game could remain fun (or stable) through Vicky and HoI, but such an exalted transasiatic empire would surely be amazing for the time it lasts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:47:39 pm by Cruxador »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14299 on: December 10, 2018, 03:26:40 pm »

That being said being an immortal makes the game ultra boring in my opinion. All the difficulty is removed and I usually find myself ending up abandoning that game soon after.

That's what happened with the game I mentioned. It fired so early that I just gave up. Although, on the other hand, my favourite game I played was as an immortal satanist. But I was using the console to make a crazy story and give myself challenges, so that doesn't really count. Every little bit I'd give all my titles to one of my recent children, move myself to a different part of the world, and start again with a different goal in mind, but a hard time limit to complete that goal before I had to "flee" again. It was a lot of fun, played like that from the 700s start until the 1300s, then converted the game to EU4 with my immortal guy controlling a merchant republic. Never did finish the EU4 game though, that game is way too much of a slog to get through.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14300 on: December 10, 2018, 03:45:28 pm »

Can't you become effectively immortal by stacking yourself up to a ridiculous health value? Or am I mixing things up?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14301 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »

I'm not sure, but as far as I know the biggest health bonus is conferred by the Immortal trait, so...
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14302 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:57 pm »

Can't you become effectively immortal by stacking yourself up to a ridiculous health value? Or am I mixing things up?
Nah.

The trait also freezes your biological clock so you stop physically aging from that point on. So if you get it early that means no infirm trait or whatever. Also you have the fertility of whatever age you became immortal at.

I also believe that being Immortal actually removes the chance to die naturally whereas even if you had 1000 health you still have a percentage chance to die of natural causes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14303 on: December 10, 2018, 05:41:08 pm »

That being said being an immortal makes the game ultra boring in my opinion. All the difficulty is removed and I usually find myself ending up abandoning that game soon after.

That's what happened with the game I mentioned. It fired so early that I just gave up. Although, on the other hand, my favourite game I played was as an immortal satanist. But I was using the console to make a crazy story and give myself challenges, so that doesn't really count. Every little bit I'd give all my titles to one of my recent children, move myself to a different part of the world, and start again with a different goal in mind, but a hard time limit to complete that goal before I had to "flee" again. It was a lot of fun, played like that from the 700s start until the 1300s, then converted the game to EU4 with my immortal guy controlling a merchant republic. Never did finish the EU4 game though, that game is way too much of a slog to get through.
How do you that? Restart in a different part of the world I mean and give your titles to your children.

It sounds like a very interesting idea for immortals
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:43:34 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14304 on: December 10, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »

Surely by the time you've done all that, you'll have finished reconquering the empire anyway.

oh not remotely. restoring the roman empire requires, like a dozen or so specific duchies, mostly in italy (plus alexandria, tunis, and antioch) and being emperor of byzantium. hellenism's holy sites are mostly included in that (Lampsako, Edessa, Piraeaus, Rome, Alexandria). while the imperial reconquest cb is good for almost everything that was ever inside rome's borders, ie,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14305 on: December 10, 2018, 06:37:27 pm »

How do you that? Restart in a different part of the world I mean and give your titles to your children.

It sounds like a very interesting idea for immortals

With console commands (requires non-ironman game) one could easily switch titles and who you're playing as around, but as long as you're not running an ironman game you should be able to start as any other playable character from the load game screen.

I think, it's been a while.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14306 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:03 pm »

oh not remotely. restoring the roman empire requires, like a dozen or so specific duchies, mostly in italy (plus alexandria, tunis, and antioch) and being emperor of byzantium. hellenism's holy sites are mostly included in that (Lampsako, Edessa, Piraeaus, Rome, Alexandria). while the imperial reconquest cb is good for almost everything that was ever inside rome's borders, ie,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, I didn't know reforming the empire added all that stuff west of Lombardy and Tunisia. I feel like that's new - if not very new, at least newer than the feature. But then, I could be misremembering. The game's been around long enough for memories to get fuzzy.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14307 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »

That looks like a pre-holy fury map. I’m reasonably sure it’s been around for a while.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14308 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:49 pm »

That looks like a pre-holy fury map. I’m reasonably sure it’s been around for a while.
Yeah, Rome was added years ago though.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14309 on: December 11, 2018, 03:26:46 am »

Just want to share, that the Tanistry succession [Holy fury] is so nice, that it almost feels like 'easy mode'.
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Tanistry

In my current Tolouse game I got the needed bloodline mixed in early, and now I doubt I will ever 'loose'.  8)
Since a playable character will always get everything, then I can pump out dynasty member without a worry and there will always be somebody to take over.
It is especially nice with the (new?) Crusader benefactor mechanic, where I can nominate a dynasty member, - knowing that I will probably be able to select that branch of the dynasty as heir and play the combined realm later.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1002