Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2010380 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14430 on: January 18, 2019, 10:17:53 pm »

One of the things that increases that is the number of titles your dynasty has held, so if you have a father and a son, an emperor and his heir, and the father dies and you play as he son, that counts as two empire titles held. Seniority would increase that pretty quick.

However, the stability you get with ultimogeniture mixed with the !!FUN!! of a possible 16 year long regency is quite fun. I like that one, and you can generally cheese it if you manage to get a genius 8th son or something.

Oh, Muslim uh... whatever the city government is that escapes my mind, is way OP as a thing though. Expensive for all the males, but you’re pretty unlikely to run out of heirs.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: January 18, 2019, 10:41:45 pm »

I haven't tried an Islamic merchant republic yet, but I've heard it's fun in that you can hold any of the three holding types without penalty.  And yeah, I bet the extra wives are useful, because they certainly were in my pagan merchant republic run!  Can never have enough children, as a republic anyway.

I still haven't actually tried Islam, I probably should at some point.  Probably under the Umayyads, since I fought them as Mali and I like the geography along there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: January 18, 2019, 10:44:33 pm »

Iqta is pretty OP too, to be fair. You can change laws with piety, which is pretty nifty when you can hold mosques without penalty, and you can revoke duke titles without reasons.

I don’t think you can hold castles as a Muslim merchant republic, but cities and mosques mean you are basically rolling in cash. Well, moreso than a non-Muslim merchant republic, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: January 18, 2019, 11:32:22 pm »

Shouldn't dynastic prestige also grow the fastest with seniority?
I'm pretty sure once you've got a few good titles, elective gavelkind is the fastest. It relies on having your titles spread among many characters, and seniority consolidates while gavelkind distributes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:40:09 pm by Cruxador »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:03 am »

Shouldn't dynastic prestige also grow the fastest with seniority?
I'm pretty sure once you've got a few good titles, elective gavelkind is the fastest. It relies on having your titles spread among many characters, and seniority consolidates while gavelkind distributes.
No, I don't think it does. It relies on having your dynasty holding as many titles as possible. It doesn't matter who holds them, so it might just as well be you.
Say you have a duchy with two counties. If you hold all of it, that's 1x10 + 2x5 prestige to the dynasty score each time you die. As long as you have a large family, seniority will apply this score in rapid succession.
With gavelkind, you lose one county at death, but the dynasty score increases by the same amount: 10+5 for your titles, and 5 for your kinsman now holding the other county. Only now both rulers can be expected to live relatively longer than with seniority, so the score doesn't increase as fast.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: January 19, 2019, 10:52:48 am »

I haven't tried an Islamic merchant republic yet, but I've heard it's fun in that you can hold any of the three holding types without penalty.  And yeah, I bet the extra wives are useful, because they certainly were in my pagan merchant republic run!  Can never have enough children, as a republic anyway.

I still haven't actually tried Islam, I probably should at some point.  Probably under the Umayyads, since I fought them as Mali and I like the geography along there.

The thing about merchant republics, though, is that all of your adult male dynasty members are entitled to a share of the family income (or maybe it's just adult sons, I don't recall). So while you might be making a ton of money from your trade posts, cities, and personal estate, a huge amount of it will be going to your family.

That said, you'll also be taking power at a very old age generally because of the large number of sons and the general preference for older candidates in the merchant elective system (which IIRC overrides the Agnatic Open system for Islam, but that may have changed). So you'll be dying frequently but inheriting with quite a bit of money already. But you won't have much income while ruling.

It's an extremely interesting way to play, especially in the Indian Ocean where there are also trade routes. Mediterranean play is interesting because of conflicts with Christians and potentially opposing Islamic denominations, but the really lucrative stuff is east of Byzantium/Egypt.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:48 am »

While that payment to the male family members can really stack up, particularly late-game, it's not lost money.  They don't really have anything to spend it on, so it just kinda accrues, and over time a lot of it finds its way back to you the player as they die.  Branches of the family eventually die off, especially when you're keeping them in your court to work the trade posts (pretty sure they hit a reproduction softcap).

It's also a nice bit of fluff, heh, and I guess a... trade-off
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: January 19, 2019, 03:34:13 pm »

Tbh I've found merchant republics to be ungodly powerful.

Also the more dynasty members you have the more tradeposts you have so no, its not losing money by any means.

One thing I try to do is early on try to seize baronies. Even if you lose control of the republic the barony is still yours, which gives you extra income and potentially a powerful army
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: January 19, 2019, 03:45:24 pm »

Tbh I've found merchant republics to be ungodly powerful.

Also the more dynasty members you have the more tradeposts you have so no, its not losing money by any means.

One thing I try to do is early on try to seize baronies. Even if you lose control of the republic the barony is still yours, which gives you extra income and potentially a powerful army
It's pretty easy to never lose control of the republic, though. But yeah, the more you own directly the better.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: January 19, 2019, 09:06:36 pm »

While that payment to the male family members can really stack up, particularly late-game, it's not lost money.  They don't really have anything to spend it on, so it just kinda accrues, and over time a lot of it finds its way back to you the player as they die.  Branches of the family eventually die off, especially when you're keeping them in your court to work the trade posts (pretty sure they hit a reproduction softcap).

It's also a nice bit of fluff, heh, and I guess a... trade-off

It's not "lost" - but it's definitely not available, either. You'll get portions of it back every time you inherit, but as more children come of age, they'll start getting a cut, too. So eventually you run into a situation like this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/family-dues.841958/

This is similar to what happened to me. The vast majority of income going to other characters, of which I get back a tiny portion when I inherit. A constantly increasing amount of money is perpetually out of reach (especially since you can't banish any more).

It easily outstrips the gain from trade post increase - which should be easily obvious because family increase trade post limit by 0.33333 - 1.5 trade posts (generally lower end, because it depends on trade post tech) which gives you a linear increase in money, but decreases the value of every other trade post.

That doesn't mean MR aren't overpowered, but it can be an issue for a Muslim MR where you have 4 times as many children.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:30 pm »

One thing I like to do as an immortal ruler is to name my children  preposterous things and marry them around the world, with the idea that eventually every dynasty will be seeded with names like Irontits, Rottencrotch, or Goldmember. I can imagine my sorcerous overlord lounging in his throne ..
"Sire! I have a declaration of war from an adventurer! He claims to be the true heir of the county of Corsica, and that unless you meet his demands and restore his birthright he will bring down your tyranny once and for all!"

"Hah! And what's the name of this preposterous pretender?"

"Lord Goatseman, sire, he..."

"Hold on, he might actually have a case..."
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: January 22, 2019, 02:49:08 am »

There was a post on /r/crusaderkings that involved naming a bastard child "Cunt", resulting in a creation of dynasty "FitzCunt". When Cunt grew up, he chased lotsa pussy, resulting in multiple Cunt Juniors running around. I wish I could find the post, since I laughed so hard the first time.

Oh, and the Cunt Juniors bred another set of FitzCunts.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: January 25, 2019, 08:11:53 am »

Devblog: Future of CK2. It's mostly air but has some nice get-to-know-the-team pics and a little information if you're interested.

The parts relevant to CK2 is probably mostly summed up in this pragraph:
In the nearest future, during the first parts of 2019, we aim to release a couple of free updates to Crusader Kings II including bug fixes, polish and some minor features not warranting their own dedicated expansions. We’ll tell you more about the first one in a few weeks. Rest assured that Crusader Kings II is still very much alive, especially with the Crusader Kings the Board Game coming up as well! Stay tuned for more news later this year!
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: January 25, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

Crusader Kings II is still very much alive,
This strikes me as something that's true only on a technicality. Sure, it has a few updates left, and a game doesn't die just because official updates do, but he's very clearly said nothing to allay the notion that the endless bevy of big content-rich DLC is over, and instead has implicitly confirmed it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: January 25, 2019, 02:28:12 pm »

I dont think that confirms or denies anything.

Anyways I have a question for you all: is it better as a ruler to prioritize holding more baronies in one county, or multiple counties  with vassal baronies?
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1002