Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990154 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14505 on: February 05, 2019, 08:30:55 am »

in the good 'ol days you could just usurp your own holy orders

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: February 05, 2019, 09:52:52 am »

Also, you know what's really dumb? In order to become sashoyant, I have to control all listed territories, but in order to do so, I have to expel my religions holy order..... It really seems like the holy order should be exempt from those calculations or at least have an option to vassalize them as there is for the Christian ones.
I've done the Zoroastrian Jesus just recently, and I could vassalize the Immortals no problem.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: February 05, 2019, 10:36:19 am »

How though? Maybe you need to directly own the counties that they are in first, haven't tried doing that yet though.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:33 am »

You can vassalize them like anyone else, by diplomatic action (right-click on their portrait); no special intrigue decisions needed.
You will have to surpass the usual penalties for offering vassalization: religion, culture, de jure status, opinion, and relative power (distant realm shouldn't be a problem - their castles are probably all in your realm already).

The grandmaster is already of your religion and (probably) culture as well, so that's taken care of.
There's nothing you can do about "not my de jure liege" (since Holy Orders have no de jure liege).
Opinion is pretty easy to manage in the usual ways, gifts etc.
To boost the "relative power" calculation in your favor, try raising the Immortals. That not only boosts your available troops by 9,000, but reduces theirs by the same.

It may also help (or even be necessary) to have a dynasty member as grandmaster, as I think that adds positive score.

Also, I did this pre-Holy Fury, so the new Holy Order government may prevent this. I doubt it though.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:09 am »

You can bypass the 'not de jure liege' penalty by giving the grandmaster a duchy title in your de jure territory. It also works for mercenaries last I checked.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:12 pm »

Holy Fury doesn't prevent vassalization, but holy orders get an event that lets them become independent, which seems to be available to them pretty much whenever they want.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: February 06, 2019, 09:31:32 pm »

I like how the game has developed. Didn't play for many years, but stashed up all DLCs and just finished a 700 year run (takes a bit too much time to complete, many days literally), with goals vaguely set by achievements along the way. Aztecs disabled. However, there are somewhat bad stability and performance issues toward the last 100 years. Game gets slow, won't save etc. Big performance improvement after quitting to desktop and then back again, so likely memory related.

Progression from tribal county to autocratic empire and the different ways the game plays through each step is great. The bad boy score can be bypassed by letting vassals declare wars externally (here a setting that forbids intraimperial wars, but allows foreign seems missing). However, at some point I snowballed and lost control. Didn't want to disable it because it doesn't require much management from the side of the player, while expanding at a good pace. External/internal fighting gets more attention than fighting the central power. My vassals nearly captured the Frisian coast, with little to no input, but unfortunately the game ended one county short of that achievement.

Also decided to rush the mongols to get the Norse-East. Halfway there's a fast route covered by rivers, but the Ural pass is a deadly retinue killer winter time, and it's very hard to reinforce the area south of the Baikal. The mongols are fast and reinforce ten times faster. With 10 years left at 100 threat rating the additional drawback was that I had to declare world war over Mongolia. I tried to rush them with retinue, but it turned out that gaining score is very difficult, considering the provinces are junk and require forts (which will be razed by looters and 200-detachments), basically you win by capturing their nobles and the capital. But it was just too much work to keep that up with maintaining sieges in Europe, while trying to engage enemies and cover ground in Mongolia. In ten years my Fylkir had accumulated 500 prisoners and an equally formidable kill list. The troops held out for the duration, but eventually didn't manage to turn the score to 100 (heck, it started at -50%, the game seems to give score priority to clearing out home front occupations in offensive wars, which could've been handled separately. Too bad the game lacks separate peace/truce deals). The game is just too detailed too be played conveniently at grand strategy scale.

It's a bit quirky that you have to hold the british isle kingdoms personally to trigger the achievement there (vassals are not enough). Basically find plot -> imprison -> fight -> revoke , but feels very unnecessary.

Odd features like the Horse MD and so on are pretty OK, because there's a rational explanation behind. I just don't like the random ice bear dynasties that act as if they are human. Fellowship of Hel is ok too, a little bit of magic, but nothing that detracts from other semi magical features of the game. Most of it can be toggled on and off in the game rules too which is a plus.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:35:00 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: February 07, 2019, 02:46:18 pm »

The whole 'animal kingdoms' thing is just an easter egg silly thing, wasn't really meant to be a fully fleshed out feature.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: February 07, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »

He's talking about the main game features that inspired animal kingdoms.  Secret bears and horses.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: February 07, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »

Havent seen the secret bear stuff. I know from looking at the wiki there is some stuff related to bears, but nothing like 'ice bear dynasties that pretend to be human'. It's possible to fight a bear in the warrior lodge legends journey thing which does create a bear character with it's own dynasty, but that's new with Holy Fury.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:36 pm »

I'd heard about Glitterhoof and the resulting horse papacy/kingdom that could be achieved through dedicated dickery, but I didn't know that bears were involved too...

Then again, I don't really play CK2 so... Yeah.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: February 07, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »

There's an event from Jade Dragon (I think) that has a chance for a courtier in your court to be revealed as a secret bear. You notice them over the course of a few events, I think you can choose to remain oblivious if you want.

I first got it as a Norse Fylkir, one of my distant kinswomen's clothing got snagged on a table as she was leaving a feast and she was unveiled as a bear. Prior to that I got events about her being unusually hairy and so on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: February 07, 2019, 07:44:13 pm »

There's also events where you make your cat into a spymaster. Also werewolf events. You can also fight Chthulu. And bless the rains down in Africa. And find a chest while raiding, open and find out... there's an angel in it; the angel just peaces out and leaves you with jack shit.

CK2 is a game about inter-personal drama with a historical dressing on top of it. It's fine for silly shit to happen.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: February 07, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »

Ah, the eternal legend of Sir Bearington and his faithful butler... Truly an epic for the ages.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:14 pm »

There's also events where you make your cat into a spymaster. Also werewolf events. You can also fight Chthulu. And bless the rains down in Africa. And find a chest while raiding, open and find out... there's an angel in it; the angel just peaces out and leaves you with jack shit.

CK2 is a game about inter-personal drama with a historical dressing on top of it. It's fine for silly shit to happen.

Like curing gout by cutting your bits off, then regenerating your bits by joining a satanic cult.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1002