Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2007024 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14610 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:10 pm »

Fuck that chess with death event. You might be young and healthy, but the game basically tells you to roll a die and die, if you don't get a six.
Several sixes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:49 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:47:29 am by catacombs »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: July 19, 2019, 12:39:11 am »

Fuck that chess with death event. You might be young and healthy, but the game basically tells you to roll a die and die, if you don't get a six.
Several sixes.
Just deciding to fight right away gives you like 20%.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: July 19, 2019, 04:32:24 am »

And you can't stop it, either.

I thought that if I kicked Death out of my castle and set them up in an inn, nothing would happen. Nope. Not even forethought can stop you. The only thing that can help is the gamemaster lifestyle, and all that does is tip the odds from "Utterly abysmal" to "Abysmal"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: July 19, 2019, 04:51:06 am »

And you can't stop it, either.

I thought that if I kicked Death out of my castle and set them up in an inn, nothing would happen. Nope. Not even forethought can stop you. The only thing that can help is the gamemaster lifestyle, and all that does is tip the odds from "Utterly abysmal" to "Abysmal"
Nono, there are other things that can help, if you decide to play instead of going banzai on death. Apart from gamer, being smart helps, so does impaler, seducer, drunkard (I think). Some other traits, probably - there's a description of the mechanics somewhere on the paradox forums. I think genius gamer gives you best chance - but you also want to provide death with accommodation and pick black. Still, since having the right traits involves a degree of luck, or entirely unreasonable forethought, it's just another bullshit random factor.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: July 19, 2019, 07:15:43 am »

I also hate the PTSD event.
Dammit, why would my sociopathic Viking with a kill list in the dozens who likes to torture folks as a daily pastime suddenly get all depressed/ take vow of celibacy/ etc. because he disembowled some peasant during the last war?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: July 19, 2019, 09:59:33 am »

Dammit, why would my sociopathic Viking with a kill list in the dozens who likes to torture folks as a daily pastime suddenly get all depressed/ take vow of celibacy/ etc. because he disembowled some peasant during the last war?

Because he has PTSD?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: July 19, 2019, 10:05:41 am »

Last time it fired, I noticed there was an option to negate it, if you're in a warrior lodge. Which you should be, as a Viking, anyway.
I suppose if you're not officially in the homicidal club, and lack the encouraging support of your fellow sociopaths - you're just a part-time hobbyist sort of a mass murderer, who sometimes wonders if disembowelling random people for fame and money is truly fulfilling.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: July 19, 2019, 10:24:47 am »

I still don't understand gavelkind or elective gavelkind. For some reason, the kingdom of Denmark was formed and broke away from my empire under my brother's rule, I lost my capital of Uppland to said Danes, and I randomly gained a province in Iceland that previously belonged to a vassal.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: July 19, 2019, 10:56:03 am »

I think it's supposed to be survivor's guilt that your squad mates died and you didn't. But since they are nameless and formless (not even extra casualties in the battle log) and that other guy's picture is slapped on the event, it's certainly not obvious. I didn't read it that way the first time or two.

I've had mixed results as a Catholic ruler because I regularly join a monastic society. The personal improvement from completing missions can wash away the wroth trait fairly easily; however, the PTSD rarely shows up until old age and then it becomes a race against time whether I can still be declared blessed when I die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: July 19, 2019, 04:28:59 pm »

... take the celibacy one then :P

Also, why get rid of +3 martial? /spending too much time at war
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: July 19, 2019, 04:55:16 pm »

Because spending every day since your sixteenth birthday reciting prayers and studying scriptures is already bad for martial. But good for diplomacy, learning, and several opinion bonuses, including the Pope's opinion. Plus several ways to make my kids well regarded. If I want martial, I just bribe offer a signing bonus to someone else's best commanders.

… Huh. Just looked it up and seems there are three variations. I can only remember ever getting the survivor's guilt, type C; whereas celibate is an option for types A and B.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: July 19, 2019, 05:09:24 pm »

I haven’t actually played a Catholic ruler in a while. The Pope is important, right? Vassalise him!

... unless you can’t anymore, it has literally been years and many updates since I last played a Catholic.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: July 19, 2019, 05:23:51 pm »

You can vassalize the pope, yes. But I don't want to tip my hand before I'm ready to pull it off, now do I? Plus my home base is kinda the British Isles (technically Brittany, then expanding north) so I have to cross or sail around the Holy Roman Empire to do it. First time in the last four tries I've seen Charlemagne actually get his act together, making my roleplay goal a lot harder to push out the Franks and reclaim Gaul for the Celts.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:03 pm »

You can vassalize the pope, yes. But I don't want to tip my hand before I'm ready to pull it off, now do I? Plus my home base is kinda the British Isles (technically Brittany, then expanding north) so I have to cross or sail around the Holy Roman Empire to do it. First time in the last four tries I've seen Charlemagne actually get his act together, making my roleplay goal a lot harder to push out the Franks and reclaim Gaul for the Celts.
Just set your own anti-pope, Rome has no power in the British Isles!
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1002