Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009939 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14625 on: July 19, 2019, 10:02:19 pm »

Rome has no power in the British Isles!
I did that once by turning down the diplomacy range, the pope was too far away to offer an opinion about anything. 8)

For all the advantages of an anti-pope to the player, I find my traits add up to a goody two-shoes person more often than not and it's just not in character. That and I'm annoyed when the malus to religious authority spawns heretics everywhere.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: July 19, 2019, 10:07:19 pm »

I did that once by turning down the diplomacy range, the pope was too far away to offer an opinion about anything. 8)

For all the advantages of an anti-pope to the player, I find my traits add up to a goody two-shoes person more often than not and it's just not in character. That and I'm annoyed when the malus to religious authority spawns heretics everywhere.

Just gives you an excuse to declare war on more people.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: July 20, 2019, 04:29:55 am »

You can vassalize the pope, yes. But I don't want to tip my hand before I'm ready to pull it off, now do I? Plus my home base is kinda the British Isles (technically Brittany, then expanding north) so I have to cross or sail around the Holy Roman Empire to do it. First time in the last four tries I've seen Charlemagne actually get his act together, making my roleplay goal a lot harder to push out the Franks and reclaim Gaul for the Celts.
Just set your own anti-pope, Rome has no power in the British Isles!

The Pope in the Norff!
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:21 am »

I haven't played this game in a while, are catholics still hilariously apathetic about what happens to the pope?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: July 20, 2019, 11:47:10 am »

Mostly. However the new mechanic requiring king+ to be ceremonially crowned gives the pope gives another lever to push against perceived enemies: coronation requirements can include enacting papal investiture, reclaiming the Papal State provinces (or handing it back if you hold them), or knocking off someone else's anti-pope, among simpler things like tribute donations. Of course if you ask a local bishop or you have an anti-pope then he can't control you directly like that. Depending on the game state, though, there's usually somebody to fight on his behalf.

Mind you, this run through moral authority has consistently been in the upper 70s (or more) and the HRE has consolidated almost everything except my lands so the AI is rarely feeling rebellious; it's not like the other time when Vikings loitered on every street corner and what was left of Middle Francia was being run by some Orthodox kid as a tributary of Germanic Saxony.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:04:25 pm by mightymushroom »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: July 20, 2019, 12:05:08 pm »

Marginally related: In Medieval Total War 2 I had one guy who assassinated 36 popes in a row. Surprisingly little concern from anyone, including all the popes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: July 20, 2019, 12:27:10 pm »

Marginally related: In Medieval Total War 2 I had one guy who assassinated 36 popes in a row. Surprisingly little concern from anyone, including all the popes.
Look at it this way: he was just making sure all the cardinals had their chance at being Pope!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: July 20, 2019, 12:55:56 pm »

Look at it this way: he was just making sure all the cardinals had their chance at being Pope!

Just so! Once an English Pope was elected, my good friend "Thomas The Killer Smythe" migrated back to England. Entirely unrelated, I assure you.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:08 am »

When you consider some of the evil men that end up elected as Pope in the Medieval Ages, it might not be completely out of character.  I imagine a character with Brave and Honest traits might just see it as the lesser of two evils.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: July 21, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »

Just so! Once an English Pope was elected, my good friend "Thomas The Killer Smythe" migrated back to England. Entirely unrelated, I assure you.

We-ell it just so happens that my current pope is a Breton (no 'foreigner' penalty). And a fellow Benedictine (+20). And a close friend (+100). And my uncle (only +5 personal relationship, but each member of the dynasty gets monthly prestige and piety). So my way has its advantages, too, in my opinion. ;)

Update: Whoops, that didn't last long. Really, Uncle? You successfully treated that cancer for almost twenty years, are the Vatican doctors really that bad compared to our homegrown ones?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:25:18 pm by mightymushroom »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: July 22, 2019, 05:54:50 pm »

We-ell it just so happens that my current pope is a Breton (no 'foreigner' penalty). And a fellow Benedictine (+20). And a close friend (+100). And my uncle (only +5 personal relationship, but each member of the dynasty gets monthly prestige and piety). So my way has its advantages, too, in my opinion. ;)

Update: Whoops, that didn't last long. Really, Uncle? You successfully treated that cancer for almost twenty years, are the Vatican doctors really that bad compared to our homegrown ones?

I have no idea how this could happen. I had nothing to do with it. Why would you say that.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: July 30, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »

Crusader Kings 2 humble bundle. Pretty much "$15 for the major dlc", from the looks of it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: July 30, 2019, 02:47:05 pm »

Sweet. I only needed the later ones, so if anyone wants a gift copy of CK2 and the first few DLCs, PM me. [edit: DLCs now claimed, still have base game up for grabs]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:35:36 am by notquitethere »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: July 30, 2019, 04:51:46 pm »

if anyone wants a gift copy of CK2 and the first few DLCs, PM me.
Came here to say this. I only have the base game to offer though. First come first serve.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: July 31, 2019, 11:01:45 am »

if anyone wants a gift copy of CK2 and the first few DLCs, PM me.
Came here to say this. I only have the base game to offer though. First come first serve.
I'll probably take this, however one does it.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1002