Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2011518 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14640 on: July 31, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »

if anyone wants a gift copy of CK2 and the first few DLCs, PM me.
Came here to say this. I only have the base game to offer though. First come first serve.
I'll probably take this, however one does it.
It's by PM. Sent.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: August 08, 2019, 07:57:38 am »

I've made a few wonderful (See: Mind-bogglingly stupid and incredibly annoying) discoveries about this game.

1) Nomad agitation behaves differently depending upon whether you're tribal or not. If you're tribal, you need two buildings in the tribe to stop the agitation. If you're any other government, you need a castle/city. If you change government from tribal to feudal/merchant republic, all the provinces regain nomad agitation until you build a holding. Guess who lost some 15 provinces to that bullshit? Makes as much sense as the UK changing from a constitutional monarchy to a republic and Yorkshire deciding to secede to set up a fascist dictatorship as a direct result of that.
2) If an adventurer is settled in some lands, it stops raiding. From *anyone*. You included. Apparently you've decided to agree to the terms of the adventurer settling in a foreign country.
3) If your army gets wrecked when raiding, you can't raid that target for three years. This doesn't apply to the AI evidently, seeing as I smashed a raiding army and they immediately came back and started raiding again.
4) Evidently having nomad agitation in any province lowers your lifespan purely so you can't hold onto said provinces. As soon as I gain any holding with nomad agitation, my average lifespan goes from ~60 years to ~45 as my characters keep getting illnesses, dying in battle (That's another discovery, the protection from fatal battle events that being in a warrior society's top rank gives you appears to be a suggestion more than a rule) or just deciding to give up the ghost for no discernable reason at a young age.

Between that, the non-stop raids and revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after (And I wish I was exaggerating, I was having a revolt happen every ~4 months at one point) I've ragequit right now. I can't make the empire of Rus because a significant chunk of that land is under nomad agitation rules, and my characters keep dying before I can secure said lands permanently.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: August 08, 2019, 08:11:08 am »

lol

welcome to ck2

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: August 08, 2019, 08:21:02 am »

(That's another discovery, the protection from fatal battle events that being in a warrior society's top rank gives you appears to be a suggestion more than a rule)
It does work. But it won't protect you from dying in a battlefield duel. Also, if you have the berserk trait, the instadeath event it can trigger overrides the lodge skill.

Between that, the non-stop raids and revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after revolt after (And I wish I was exaggerating, I was having a revolt happen every ~4 months at one point) I've ragequit right now. I can't make the empire of Rus because a significant chunk of that land is under nomad agitation rules, and my characters keep dying before I can secure said lands permanently.
When you're Norse or Germanic, you raid with ships. Safe initial targets are Cyprus, Crete, Malta, Balearic Islands. Once you have a few thousand troops, or good retinue - Venice. Whenever not at war you should be raiding. This gives you loads of gold (for building castles when feudal) and prestige (for upgrading tribes when tribal). If you don't have enough ships, manufacture claims and conquer some provinces in the old North (provinces needed to reform pagan should be enough for a sensible fleet).
I'm not 100% sure, since it happened only couple times, but it seemed like you don't need to finish building a holding to secure a nomad province - just having it under construction works.

The early deaths are surely just confirmation bias.

Also, you can secure nomad provinces with prestige when feudal, by creating tribal vassals and upgrading their tribes with your prestige.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:23:46 am by Il Palazzo »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: August 08, 2019, 08:30:30 am »

2) If an adventurer is settled in some lands, it stops raiding. From *anyone*. You included. Apparently you've decided to agree to the terms of the adventurer settling in a foreign country.

This is actually working as intended: the idea is the adventurer proactively defends your realm from other raiders in exchange for land. Happened historically with the Normans in France, I believe. Still a bit silly, since the adventurer isn't *actually* defending you and it's just a province modifier, but that's what it's supposed to represent.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: August 08, 2019, 08:32:29 am »

Reformed slavic and I have about 3 coastal provinces right now (Can't take the ones in the black sea because they all belong to, guess who, the nomads that I can't keep control of the lands of!)

And no, you can't secure them with prestige. I had secured them with prestige, then once I changed government it was demanding that they have a castle/city built in spite of them being owned by tribal vassals. If the tribal vassals owning said lands had upgraded to feudal it would have been fine since that spawns the cities and temples. Had I known that the game would have swapped out the conditions I would have upgraded their capitals to max level hill forts before I went for the feudal decision.

And the death thing wasn't a duel, it was one of those events. I was fine with the earlier one where my character got severely injured and disfigured, since they aren't protected against completely, merely reduced in odds. This one was just "Yeah, so you died in battle lol"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: August 08, 2019, 08:44:00 am »

And no, you can't secure them with prestige.
I guess you're right. I now seem to remember having the same revelation.

And the death thing wasn't a duel, it was one of those events. I was fine with the earlier one where my character got severely injured and disfigured, since they aren't protected against completely, merely reduced in odds. This one was just "Yeah, so you died in battle lol"
But was that the berserker event or not?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: August 08, 2019, 09:08:47 am »

Slavic, I actually can't get berserker as I believe it's a Germanic-only trait.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: August 08, 2019, 09:15:15 am »

Sounds like a bug then? Never happened to me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: August 08, 2019, 11:56:09 am »

Are you limited in creating an Empire because the lands are under nomad agitation?  I thought just holding the land was enough.  Can't you just conquer everything, make the Empire, then laugh as half the land leaves upon death while you still have the Empire, secure in the knowledge that you've got De Jure claims on all of the lost lands?

Taking over nomad lands is going to trigger revolts, as there are multiple reasons that a nomad province can trigger a revolt and the lands have that nasty increase in revolt risk due to the nomad agitation.  And that is without your vassals testing every new liege with a couple of revolts themselves.

For reference, every freshly-conquered nomad province probably has these three possible revolts:
1) Nomad revolt
2) Cultural revolt (probably)
3) Religious revolt (probably)

Protip for fighting revolts: Try to use Vassal Levies to fight them, if possible.  If you use your own forces, eventually you will weaken to the point that your vassals will revolt.  But using their troops weakens them instead (although probably not as much as you might like, they're only giving like 10% of their troops).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:34 pm »

You can, it's just that I can't hold onto the lands for long enough since my characters will constantly die. In theory I could just form the empire then have them leave, but I can't actually accrue enough land before it all falls apart, and I'm not strong enough to take on the massive khaganate nomads all crapping on me because they're all in a coalition. If they were only a few provinces, I could blitz them before their allies could do anything, but they're too big for that tactic and I'm discovering just how insanely powerful nomad armies are (I can be attacked with a defensive bonus and great generals while outnumbering them 2:1 and still get my arse handed to me. They also take way fewer casualties than other armies when I win).

Another complaint that I'd forgotten to mention: Stack wiping appears to conform to arbitrary rules. I had my retinue army get stackwiped in spite of, by the time of the wipe happening, half of them still being alive (But obviously their morale was broken) and having three friendly provinces they could have done a retreat through adjacent to them that were unoccupied by enemy armies.
EDIT: Tried the game again, this time doing shattered world because that's easier.
Ha fucking ha, of course it isn't. I want to restore Hellenism, so the game's response to that is to set the ruler of the sole hellenic province to be absolutely shite. Literally over 10 times. I had a martial of over 10 ONCE, and that time the game spawned a great conqueror as my neighbour's neighbour, so there was no way to survive that. And every time I attack, I get to do that wonderful "Do you want to spend money to get a shite reading, or an extortionate amount of money to get a good one?" thing that hellenism has as default (Why there isn't a "I don't want to look at it at all, tyvm" option is beyond me) event that results in my armies getting -10% morale. And in the actual fights? Enemy gets three strong flanks for some reason, all I get is a strong centre flank and two side flanks that consist of a single peasant with a wedge of cheese as a weapon so I always get annihilated.
One time I tried to out-siege my neighbour. The game's response was to go "Oh, OK, you can siege faster on account of having a few more men, but the second holding of theirs will have 10 more men than your army. Your second holding? You know that single peasant with a wedge of cheese last game? Yeah, he's the only person defending it so they can siege you down but not vice-versa"
I'm perplexed. This game seems to have developed a grudge with me for some utterly unknowable reason. It's like CKII has decided the actual reason I play games is because I enjoy mental torture, and not because I want to have fun.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:17:52 pm by Great Order »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: August 08, 2019, 03:35:29 pm »

(Why there isn't a "I don't want to look at it at all, tyvm" option is beyond me)
Because that would be against the firmly held beliefs of yourself and your people?

Anyhow. Question of the inheritance woes variety.
I'm running Enatic Open inheritance. I tried to create a second empire title, and the game informed me I'm going to lose it on death to some relative. All the laws were identical in both empires. I ended up destroying the title, but I'd like to understand how this works. Does it mean you can't have more than one empire with Open?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: August 08, 2019, 03:51:20 pm »

(Why there isn't a "I don't want to look at it at all, tyvm" option is beyond me)
Because that would be against the firmly held beliefs of yourself and your people?

Anyhow. Question of the inheritance woes variety.
I'm running Enatic Open inheritance. I tried to create a second empire title, and the game informed me I'm going to lose it on death to some relative. All the laws were identical in both empires. I ended up destroying the title, but I'd like to understand how this works. Does it mean you can't have more than one empire with Open?
"Open" as in Turkic Succession (aka CK2 Muslim law), or as in Open Elective? Because IIRC that second one shouldn't be available to players.

If it is turkic, then each title considers a different relative to be the "strongest".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: August 08, 2019, 03:58:34 pm »

Yeah, it's the pagan reformation one, which wiki says is based on the Muslim law. But I've never played Muslims so I've no experience with it.
So, in order to inherit all empire titles (or whatever is my highest rank, right?), I need to grant my chosen heir the most titles in each of the de jure empires?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: August 08, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »

Yeah, it's the pagan reformation one, which wiki says is based on the Muslim law. But I've never played Muslims so I've no experience with it.
So, in order to inherit all empire titles (or whatever is my highest rank, right?), I need to grant my chosen heir the most titles in each of the de jure empires?
Or never, ever land your kin. But yeah.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1002