Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2006375 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14760 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:47 pm »

From my perspective, you've just described every grand strategy game ever.
Mechanics like this take control out of the player's hands, which sounds like it might make such games playable~

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14761 on: October 26, 2019, 09:54:17 am »

It could work if the local AIs would defend and take care of it themselves, only needing help if it was a bigger war (which would presumably last long enough for the mechanic to merely give the attacker a head start than cause them to win the war) then I can see it not being incredibly frustrating to play with, but implementing such a mechanic properly (i.e. without just making you unable to react to something that you know is happening) would be hellish in the format the series the game currently is in.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14762 on: October 26, 2019, 03:11:15 pm »

There are better ways to make large empires vulnerable than implementing some fantastically frustrating and incredibly complicated mechanic such as this, though.

It might be interesting, but it definitely doesn't sound fun.

One of the better ones I could see would be a case of say, after a certain distance from the capital, modified based on culture (ie. same culture extends it, same group has the base distance, and different culture group reduces it.  Same thing with religion), there's an event with mean time to happen based on traits and relative power that causes a slight shift in allegiance (ex. you have a duke vassal and there's a de jure king that's also your vassal, they go to them), and if there is none above, they change to a tributary state and then break away when it next fires.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14763 on: October 26, 2019, 07:28:38 pm »

There are better ways to make large empires vulnerable than implementing some fantastically frustrating and incredibly complicated mechanic such as this, though.

It might be interesting, but it definitely doesn't sound fun.

One of the better ones I could see would be a case of say, after a certain distance from the capital, modified based on culture (ie. same culture extends it, same group has the base distance, and different culture group reduces it.  Same thing with religion), there's an event with mean time to happen based on traits and relative power that causes a slight shift in allegiance (ex. you have a duke vassal and there's a de jure king that's also your vassal, they go to them), and if there is none above, they change to a tributary state and then break away when it next fires.
There actually is an event like that, I got it several times on my Europa playthrough. If a vassal directly under you is far enough away from your capital, on succession they break free from your empire.

For some reason though, if they're a vassal of some AI king vassal, it doesn't seem to happen. I'm not sure what exactly causes it beyond that though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14764 on: October 26, 2019, 08:04:42 pm »

One idea I'd like to see explored is the amount of troops you have available varying based on how much your vassals care about the war in question. This already kinda works with the bonus you get for some defensive wars.

Maybe you have to call your vassals to war like tribes, and they don't show up if they don't care, or you could just get fewer troops from them. Either way, the point would be that the entire might of the Caliphate can't be dragged to Afghanistan to fight a war over a single province, but they'd still show up to defend against a Crusade or something.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14765 on: October 27, 2019, 05:27:39 am »

Definitely. In that similar vein of thing, if for example I am King of France and the Duke of Barcelona is my vassal, and the Supemirate of Andalusia attacks me over Barcelonian lands, he should send me more troops since it's his very holdings that are at stage, or join me outright with his whole force. It's one thing that really bugs me that all this amounts to is a relations bonus in ck2 right now.

Something I similiarly would like to see is enticing vassals by promising them rewards. Such as "I will wage war for your claim on this county or duchy in exchange for you becoming my vassal" kind of thing. This could come in both "I will be the agressor for your claim" and "I pledge you X amount of gold and troops for you to wage your own war" kind of thing.

I also hope their "Clans/Tribes have to depend on relations, Feudals on definite contracts" design don't go too far. I don't like the idea of relations not mattering as much in a character/relation driven game. I mostly like the way feudals function in ck2 right now, but I can see how the "super bad relations mean no levies at all" mechanic might be too, well, unfeudal. But I would still like relations to matter to the point where the rule would be "you always get X amount of troops from this vassal, but you might get more if you're better liked, or if it's in his interests, or his troops might have higher morale, or he might send more professional troops (especially if they're changing troops into "peasant rabble levies", "pro military men-at-arms", and "knight characters"). Or you know, if they really hate your guts, their troops might be "late", like the Great Late Lord Walder Frey's at the Battle of the Trident, to use an entirely historical example.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14766 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:10 am »

I'd send the minimal amount of troops in the form of cheap expendable peasant levy if I hated my boss.  Maybe my worst commanders/knights if that is also required of me.
I could be a glory hound and send my best to win glory for myself, ignoring battle orders to take the head of a commander instead(come out with positive prestige, despite losing the overall battle or take greater share of it if your side does happen to win).
I could be a greedy/raider type, having my troops loot instead of actually doing any fighting.
I could also focus on keeping my troops unharmed, not committing to the battle and withdrawing as soon as things look bad or only joining the fray if it looks like a sweep(stay in skirmish or reserve position).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:25:09 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14767 on: October 28, 2019, 10:34:52 am »

I'd send the minimal amount of troops in the form of cheap expendable peasant levy if I hated my boss.
You mean send away your whole economic base to die?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14768 on: October 28, 2019, 12:29:54 pm »

I'd send the minimal amount of troops in the form of cheap expendable peasant levy if I hated my boss.
I sort of hope they add something like this as a feature. Gives you a reason to be stingy about your troops beyond not liking the guy, and gives another distinction to playing broad vs tall.

On the other hand, it's a snowball feature. We probably need fewer of those in ck3, not more.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14769 on: October 28, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »

If the game did track population like Vicky...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14770 on: October 28, 2019, 03:10:59 pm »

If the game did track population like Vicky...
That isn't necessary to achieve this aim. The new development stat on a province should serve fine: Raise levies and the development goes down.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #14772 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:17 am »

I admit, I'm not looking forward to CK3, for the most part, but the fact that dynasties have mottos now, I wonder how quickly the CK2 community will customize them by including dick jokes in Latin.

Also, Dynasty Heads: Does that mean that if you're a lowly count of Bumfuck, and your same-dynasty liege's a king of Shitburghia, and you're not a Dynasty Head, does that mean the strategy to make some children ASAP to secure the succession will not work anymore, unless the king of Shitburghia likes you? Because then, I've mixed feelings about this.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #14773 on: October 31, 2019, 09:58:01 am »

dick jokes in Latin.
"Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō"

Yay cadet branches!
These new additions really make CK2's dynasty system look very simplistic. But sometimes, simple is good. The whole dynast and family head system feels like another layer of in-game politics to worry about

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #14774 on: October 31, 2019, 10:03:31 am »

Yay cadet branches!
These new additions really make CK2's dynasty system look very simplistic. But sometimes, simple is good. The whole dynast and family head system feels like another layer of in-game politics to worry about

Meh, more layers are needed, lest it'll be like Stellaris and Hearts of Iron 4, AKA too streamlined and simplistic.

EDIT: How did it autocorrect to "streaming"?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1002