Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008567 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #14910 on: August 11, 2020, 08:43:23 pm »

Yeah, my last game had two separate (i.e. different tags) crusader West Francias rise and fall, all while regular West Francia was still just hanging out.

I am actually quite a big fan of the crusader state mechanic! It's quite fun to install family members in them
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14911 on: August 12, 2020, 04:36:22 am »

Me too. It gives you a reason to go crusade even when you don't have anything to gain strategically from it. I only wish you could still ally with someone just because you are of the same dynasty.
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: August 13, 2020, 02:32:05 pm »

Ugh, thread inspired me to start playing again:

- Unite Croatia

- Line of Total BAMF Kings

- Francia unites

- Francia goes full Muslim... 0_0

- Constantly trying to crusade against them, establish two crusader kingdoms

- the first, in Italy is gobbled back up

- the second, Germany, is cut off by the perpetual ability of the Karlings to simply inherit vast swathes of land.

*Picard Face Palm*

What the fuck is going on here!

- At least the Pope likes me, the ERE is scared of me, and Lithuania is Catholic -_-

Great session tbh, although I had ONE shot to restore a Christian ruler to Francia via revolt! Alas, he just DIED at like age 30 to spite all of Christendom.

EDIT: I've been taking my anger about the situation out by force-converting and executing swathes of the Franco-Imperial Nobility, which seems--at least--to have hampered their ability to rule somewhat.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:33:40 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:39 am »

I was also inspired to play again.  I'm in love with trying to conquer the world as a Steppe Nomad, so I picked one at random.  Guy had 2 martial, but his 14 year old son had like 14 martial.  So I figure I'd just stay alive for a few years and let my wargod son conquer the world.  Joined a Hunting Lodge for the greater chance of surviving.

My son picks up the ambitious trait, which is great since he's supposed to be a great world conqueror.  I lose my initial tryout duel, but they take me anyways.

Son turns 16 with Brilliant Strategist education.  I'm so proud of him, I give him a council position to max out his prestige, along with a commander and whatever other titles I can give him.  Pretty sure he's the regent too. 

Guess I don't need to play it safe anymore, so I take a bunch of risks, conquers a few counties, get in a few fights.  Get less awful at personal combat and war.

Son cuckolds me.  I don't much care, although I should have kept my wife's child's origins a secret, as outing the child as being beget by the wife and son makes the child a bastard, even though the child really is part of the dynasty.  Pretty sure it was a new wife and not my son's mother.  Whatever, but now they both hate me.

I had one other son from the start, and beget a few more.  Concubines help with the prestige, right?

So I'm engaging in some minor conquests just to give my son a firm foundation for his world conquests.

Son decides he hates me, so he votes against any further conquests, and turns everyone on the council against me.

I'm at peace, since the ungrateful kid won't let me start a new war.

So I figure, why not duel my son?  He'll kill me, and then take over and conquer the world!

...I won.  My son is dead, and the next oldest is 14 years old.  I guess I'm going to be around for a bit longer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14914 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:18 pm »

Lmao your son got way too big for his boots and didn't understand that daddy was just looking out for his best interests. Tale as old as time

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: August 14, 2020, 08:42:20 pm »

Great story!  But wouldn't your son have ended up with Kinslayer anyway?  Not the end of the world but pretty harsh IIRC.
I think there's a mod that adds an "abdicate" option, but it feels pretty cheaty.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: August 14, 2020, 08:45:22 pm »

Great story!  But wouldn't your son have ended up with Kinslayer anyway?  Not the end of the world but pretty harsh IIRC.
I think there's a mod that adds an "abdicate" option, but it feels pretty cheaty.
It's hard to call that cheaty when it actually happened in real life many times.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: August 14, 2020, 10:33:02 pm »

It's hard to call that cheaty when it actually happened in real life many times.
Probably not because the heir has higher martial ability though.

It’d also be abusable to get the best of your children on the throne, too. If your third in line was the one you wanted to play, and you couldn’t change your succession law, you could die, then abdicate with the next two in order to get that person on the throne.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: August 14, 2020, 11:00:35 pm »

Definitely abusable,

but an old man abdicating to a warlike son is... pretty well established in both Western and Eastern traditions methinks

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: August 14, 2020, 11:30:52 pm »

Sometimes they even abdicate in favour of a younger brother more suited to the role.

Generally, I would say, if something is a good idea to do in a game, someone has probably tried it in real life.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: August 15, 2020, 06:05:35 am »

- Francia goes full Muslim... 0_0

I just love it when religions get really strange without the player doing anything.
Like that one time I was doing my thing in Spain and Bavaria snowballed into a really huge blob. Some time later I notice the whole thing is Jain. What. How?

Or somehow ending up with a jewish kingdom of Éire.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: August 15, 2020, 08:25:19 am »

Are you playing with secret cults on?

One count picks a random religion for a secret cult, then propagates it successfully within the kingdom because the ai doesnt inquisition it out.  Then when enough people are culted, they present the ultimatium; reform or we revolt.

i really actually disliked it when i played with it.  it was a never-ending battle to cleanse your land of these wildly different religions; not heresies, but completely different ways of contextualizing the world.  then the ais were crap at resisting these cults and weeding them out themselves.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: August 15, 2020, 02:59:13 pm »

Remember, a depressed ruler can abdicate without any modding.  That would actually be a good way to explain the Edward VIII scenario.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: August 15, 2020, 03:12:51 pm »

Yes... abdicate.  Almost mentioned that, decided not to for some reason.

And yeah I agree that abdication isn't unrealistic, just easy to powergame.  I like roleplaying somewhat in CK2, and there are plenty of reasonable scenarios where player characters would abdicate (like their real life counterparts).  Whereas using it to select a specific heir seems a bit much (unless the firstborn is complacent, perhaps?).  It's a single player game as far as I'm concerned, fun and narrative are more important than strict historical accuracy or painting the board.

Though my favorite mod (not counting After The End~) is the one that lets you pay out the nose for professional, yet unreliable, assassins.  It's gamey sure, but the cost keeps the plot system as the best choice outside of megawealth situations.  Maybe I should try tweaking it such that a third of the price goes to the Chancellor to cook the books a bit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: August 15, 2020, 04:41:40 pm »

Maybe I should try tweaking it such that a third of the price goes to the Chancellor to cook the books a bit.
Wouldn't that be the steward's job?
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1002