Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2011494 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6720 on: January 02, 2015, 11:19:16 am »

So, which is the best course of action?

1) Declare war on both and reclaim my birthright in one fell swoop  -probably not a good idea since Leon lies right in the middle of their forces

2) Defend the weaker sister, then claim Castille before it has a chance to recover

3) Declare war on Castille and sweep it up while they fight each other  -I'm leaning towards this but I don't know the game's politics well enough to be sure

4) Steal Galicia from under both their noses

5) Let them fight it out alone and then mop up the victor

Number 2 or number 3.  Side with the (marginally) weaker side, if in doubt.

A prince is also respected when he is either a true friend or a downright enemy, that is to say, when, without any reservation, he declares himself in favour of one party against the other; which course will always be more advantageous than standing neutral; because if two of your powerful neighbours come to blows, they are of such a character that, if one of them conquers, you have either to fear him or not. In either case it will always be more advantageous for you to declare yourself and to make war strenuously; because, in the first case, if you do not declare yourself, you will invariably fall a prey to the conqueror, to the pleasure and satisfaction of him who has been conquered, and you will have no reasons to offer, nor anything to protect or to shelter you.

And here it is to be noted that a prince ought to take care never to make an alliance with one more powerful than himself for the purposes of attacking others, unless necessity compels him, as is said above; because if he conquers you are at his discretion, and princes ought to avoid as much as possible being at the discretion of any one.

Both from Machiavelli's The Prince, aka the second CKII manual.  ;D
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: January 02, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »

It is done. The queen of Galicia lies dead and Castille will inevitably fall to my armies. Leon will be reunited, stronger than ever.

Castille provided little resistance, I broke their army almost as soon as the war began, then laid siege to their most powerful counties. Galicia proved useless other than as a distraction. Their army lost one battle and then spent the rest of the war wandering around in a stupor. The queen of Galicia died when her court Chaplain smuggled a cobra into her chambers. Unfortunately the snake-seller was caught and implicated me, so I'm a kinslayer now. That will probably have some unfortunate consequences later.

During all this I had two children, a son and a daughter. Also, one of my dukes declared another crusade on Abbasid. Hopefully that works out, I certainly wouldn't mind the extra territory.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: January 02, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »

While playing as a Scandinavian republic, I had the "Lost ship found +100 gold" event 36 times during three years. Waet.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: January 02, 2015, 02:31:14 pm »

While playing as a Scandinavian republic, I had the "Lost ship found +100 gold" event 36 times during three years. Waet.

Apparently you REALLY need to build better ships.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:00 pm »

Are you using any mods? The vanilla MTTH in republic_trade_events.txt is 1220, but it sounds like something a modder might tweak to have modifiers that lower it based off of total number of ships, which could plummet the MTTH for Scandinavia.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:45 pm »

Does anyone have a link for the old Dawn of Empires mod? Please not a link to the forums though. Those forums are annoying.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: January 02, 2015, 03:43:59 pm »

Man, these go from tribe to feudalism / republic achievements are actually quite challenging to get from the old gods start.

I got the feudalism one from a Mande African. Took about 4 generations because I didn't realize you actually can't be a pagan to reform (wtf judgemental!). My second generation guy was a super duper strong 18 martial fighting god and I slaughtered my way through thousands and thousands of Muslims trying to snipe holy sites until for some bloody reason this guy decided to "peacefully pass away" in his sleep at 40 years old. Then I was stuck with two morons trying to recapture all my old lands lost from elective gavelkind. The only reason I managed to reform was because the Muslims came back for revenge and jihad'ed me... so I used that opportunity to switch to Islam and immediately reform.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the republic one now. Thinking maybe a Finnish guy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: January 02, 2015, 04:06:11 pm »

I got the republic one just yesterday with Mali from Old God's start, I didn't get an achievement though D:  Didn't know there was one.  Was playing Ironman...  Maybe I forgot to uninstall mods somehow.

I also totally overlooked the barrier for unreformed pagans.  I saw that higher centralization makes unreformed pagan vassals mad, and assumed it was just a suggestion.  The 5th holy site was too far away for me but I went temple-raiding with 5000 troops bought with prestige, and juuuust managed to hit 50% moral authority.  Was disappointed that the West African religious head has to be some priest unlike the Norse Fylkr, but still felt good.

The Serene Republic of Mali is having stability issues though, a lot of the tribal counties refused to reform and are constantly threatening revolt.  I'm tempted to let them go for now and focus on the *MAD DOSH* I'm getting as a trade republic with raiding mechanics.  And having lots of male family members for trade posts is going to be a snap with three concubines.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: January 02, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to get the republic one now. Thinking maybe a Finnish guy.

Most Stubborn-Ass Republic of Åland :D
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: January 02, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »

Damn, I love Way of Life now.

Venice, Old Gods start, first real playthrough as a Republic... After the first ruler (RD'd) died and lost the election.

After realizing that, broadly speaking, being a republican vassal sucks ass compared to ruling, I tried to just roll with it, scraping each coin together for improvements and the like, all the while campaigning to ensure becoming dat fukken doge.

A couple years later, since I'm a very quick thinker like that, I realized that I can switch focus to Intrigue for great justice.

Shit. Happens.

Assassinated a rival or two, but that's fairly standard fare for CK2, until I got to the top of the , but also started spying on the Doge, who had been considering me his BFF otherwise, even after I surreptitiously told everyone that he killed his childhood friend at 11.

Well, what do you know! I get the event to kidnap the spied-on person, that being the Doge himself - and successfully! So I end up with my liege in my dungeon and my character being pretty much guaranteed to succeed. So of course, I had him executed. Seems nobody minded a succession via Klingon Promotion that much either, aside from that -10 of Tyranny. Such politics. Very intrigue.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:25 pm »

I am running no mods, although I have most of the important DLCs.

And scrdest, you won not only the elections. You won the game (and my heart).
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:13 pm »

Most Stubborn-Ass Republic of Åland :D
Sadly it won't let me rename the first part of the title.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not Finnish either, I didn't get too far with them. Between the viking raids and how difficult the area is, I was completely stomped.

For this one it was fairly easy to capture everything not Karling owned (aka, not in Europe). However, it was more or less impossible to get the last two holy sites which were owned by Karlings. I invaded them about 15 times over the course of 5 generations. No dice. Got wrecked every single time. Even when I thought I was getting close to victory, my incompetent troops would get slaughtered for some bloody reason. I had over 10,000 levies as a tribal ruler and still couldn't do it due to Karling doomstacks.

Then I lucked out. One of the Karlings sent a priest to convert me so I happily converted and became a Viking republic.

Edit: By the way, if anyone is having trouble with the establish trade route questline from the business way of life thing, here's how I did it twice:

1. Use thieves to steal boat
2. Agree to bring priests
3. Tell priests to stfu about thieves
4. Give cloth as a gift
5. Say you're still teaching him how to be civilized
6. Stop your priests from fucking things up
7. Success and roll in money

All the other attempts I've tried have never worked.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: January 02, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »

I'm currently attempting the same thing in a shattered realms game with the CK2+ mod. Still on my first ruler (a RD count of Jotland) and have created the titular kingdom of Atmora where Denmark should be.

Most annoying thing is that stupid shattered realms gets rid of like EVERY casus belli other then the subjugate and conquest ones. And for some reason I can't conquest into Sweden or Norway, so I've been stuck trying for the holy sites in other places. Of course the THIRD ONE is the one in Zeeland and despite Norseies SUPPOSEDLY being able to conquer coastal stuffs, no such luck DoWing them.

Never been so concerned about what my chancellor was doing before now.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »

Man, these go from tribe to feudalism / republic achievements are actually quite challenging to get from the old gods start.

Why not just play Irish/Scotish count?  They're all tribal/catholic.  Only hard part is waiting to ramp up tribal org.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: January 02, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »

Why not just play Irish/Scotish count?  They're all tribal/catholic.  Only hard part is waiting to ramp up tribal org.
I kinda never look at the easymode islands so I didn't even know they were tribals.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1002