Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2008621 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7170 on: February 05, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »

So!

What would the logistics of using my merchant republic scandinavian pagan thing be to be able to loot Constantinople.

:P

It's possible right? It is accessible by sea and all.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »

So!

What would the logistics of using my merchant republic scandinavian pagan thing be to be able to loot Constantinople.

:P

It's possible right? It is accessible by sea and all.

You have to watch out for the bizzy death stacks, but yes. If you're lucky, you'll even capture the patriarch.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:55 pm »

For the "United the Kingdoms" achievement do I need to personally hold each kingdom or can I be emperor of Britannia with the kings as my vassals?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: February 05, 2015, 03:32:07 pm »

Just out of curiousity, what succession system do you guys use? (primogeniture, ultimogeniture, elective etc.)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: February 05, 2015, 03:33:05 pm »

For the "United the Kingdoms" achievement do I need to personally hold each kingdom or can I be emperor of Britannia with the kings as my vassals?

I'm pretty sure you have to be the king of all four.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »

Drat. Taking Scotland piecemeal is going to be tedious if I have to wait a decade after each war.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »

Just out of curiousity, what succession system do you guys use? (primogeniture, ultimogeniture, elective etc.)
I'm almost always a merchant republic, so I'm stuck with Patrician Elective.

How much different to play is a Mercant Republic to Feudalism?

I like the idea of it, but I worry that I'd be limiting myself militarily, and I've had... issues with Elective succession before.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:43 pm »

Republic elections are a little different...and you can use money to ensure your spot. As a merchant republic as long as you are building out you will be rolling in the cash like crazy. Your armies will be alright but mercenaries will be a part of at least a few wars...which once again should be okay given the wealth

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: February 05, 2015, 04:14:56 pm »

Drat. Taking Scotland piecemeal is going to be tedious if I have to wait a decade after each war.

If you murder the King, you don't have a truce any more!
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: February 05, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »

The only thing stopping you from breaking the truce is the diplomacy hit and the prestige cost.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: February 05, 2015, 04:18:49 pm »

How does one reform a pagan tribal nation into a merchant Republic? have absolute authority, port city as capital.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: February 05, 2015, 04:21:00 pm »

The patrician elective succession is lovely.  You get to choose your heir with an honorary title.  The costs to rig campaign for the election are usually nominal unless your heir is very young.  Though choosing a young heir can be very worthwhile, since otherwise you have the seniority issue of rapid successions due to old age.

Plus losing the election is hardly a disaster.  You personally lose out on all the income and levies beyond your personal demesne, but the republic is just as strong.  It can be a bit amusing to see what the AI does during its term.  Besides which, it's even a bit easier to retake control upon the next election because it's mostly a matter of prestige.  Since your family should have the largest demesne, you can just join or declare wars and probably gain prestige much faster than any other candidate.  (or if you're a pagan, raid for insane prestige+loot).  And even though I usually avoid murder unless a character specifically wrongs me, plots against the current Doge seemed to attract plenty of plotters.

The levies do seem much lower than in a feudal state, probably because the main vassals (the other patricians) use the mayor laws for taxes and levies.  And you can't increase crown authority past... limited?  The second lowest.

But on the flipside, they use the mayor laws for taxes!  Minus 50% but still.  As Doge of an established trade republic you'll be making mad money.  This is one of the few times when being a pagan sucks...  My Principality of Mali only ever had one mercenary group available.  Though the Spirit Guardians holy order were a nice bonus, particularly once vassalized.  In my run as... Genoa...?  I remember that the many mercenary groups of Europe essentially *were* my army.  I was making *that* much money.  Along with retinues, which are (despite nerfs) still incredibly powerful.

My Italian run eventually ended due to running out of male dynasty members somehow, which took me by surprise.  My Mali game has no dangerous of that, due to concubines.

EDIT: Oh right, also you can invest some of that mad money into your pocket dimension, the manor.  The upgrades are expensive, but pay off...  By the end there are substantial stat boosts, and a modest amount of demesne troops.  The income isn't too shabby either, and it's affected by having your steward collect taxes in the republic capital (at least while you're doge).

How does one reform a pagan tribal nation into a merchant Republic? have absolute authority, port city as capital.
I don't know if you can do it with a coastal city, it may need to be a coastal tribe with an upgraded market.  You get an "adopt republic" decision in the intrigue panel, which upgrades the capital tribe to a city.

In other words I don't think it's enough to conquer someone else's civilized city, even if you make it your capital.  Also, I think you have to reform the religion if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:25:17 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: February 05, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

Re: making mad money and essentially having a mercenary standing army - as a doge of Venice ALONE I've been making 40-something gold a month after expenses. Now that I've cut my way through Germany northwards thanks to liberal application of Waldensian Holy Wars I make double that. With a 12k points' worth of retinues factored in the costs. Were I not too concerned about the bottom line, I could - and have - kept the largest (450 to recruit) mercenary groups on indefinite retainer when the reparations from a surrender were worth the added wait.

And I've essentially given up on upgrading trading posts since whenever I did get one at max upgrades, some douche or another would go and ruin it, making the upgrades cost more than they were worth - with smart post management you could likely get even more money.

Speaking of, I found it's a good idea to set yourself a baseline - 500 gold is nice in early game - as a republic. It gives you a nice reserve in case you need to raise some mercs or fight for election. Other rulers have an annoying Embargo CB which destroys all posts in the country if they win and other republics will be more than glad to ask the rulers to use it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:28 pm »

Should we do an MP CKII game at some point? I think it could be interesting.
* Deathsword sees flashes of umiman flash-imprisoning Scriptwolf
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:40 pm »

Should we do an MP CKII game at some point? I think it could be interesting.

I don't trust players to not be bastards :P

Probably wouldn't work for me though, the game is really slow for me, even on the highest speed setting.

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1002