Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990695 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7185 on: February 05, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »

From what I've experienced, I would not be surprised if the highest speed is uncapped. I can only go to speed 5 if there is absolutely nothing going on, otherwise it is just too fast.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: February 05, 2015, 05:39:56 pm »

Re: making mad money and essentially having a mercenary standing army - as a doge of Venice ALONE I've been making 40-something gold a month after expenses. Now that I've cut my way through Germany northwards thanks to liberal application of Waldensian Holy Wars I make double that. With a 12k points' worth of retinues factored in the costs. Were I not too concerned about the bottom line, I could - and have - kept the largest (450 to recruit) mercenary groups on indefinite retainer when the reparations from a surrender were worth the added wait.

And I've essentially given up on upgrading trading posts since whenever I did get one at max upgrades, some douche or another would go and ruin it, making the upgrades cost more than they were worth - with smart post management you could likely get even more money.

Speaking of, I found it's a good idea to set yourself a baseline - 500 gold is nice in early game - as a republic. It gives you a nice reserve in case you need to raise some mercs or fight for election. Other rulers have an annoying Embargo CB which destroys all posts in the country if they win and other republics will be more than glad to ask the rulers to use it.
Agreed, I'm not sure I recommend upgrading trade republics at all.  If you ever relax and lose an election, the Doge can decide to transfer some to another family... or himself.  With a high enough stewardship or intrigue (or diplomacy?) you can nullify the event, but still.  Trade post  income isn't that important once you're at kingdom (most serene republic) level.  Better to upgrade your manor and personal demesne.

Once you're strong, they're a useful tool for conquering other nations.  I was able to set up trade posts in England from Mali (with a large distance modifier to the cost) then use the City Conquest CB which lets you claim a city if you hold a trade post in the county.  IIRC I wasn't given the County Conquest CB which lets you conquer a county if you hold a city in it...  Probably due to the long distance.  But my troops were still able to mitigate attrition on these footholds, and I'm pretty sure it was counted as friendly for enabling looter status.

As an aside, I find it funny that your raiders who besiege one of your own occupied holdings... loot it.  Liberates it too, but sets the portrait on fire and probably maluses the income, and gives you gold like any other raid.  Makes a sort of sense, I guess.

I know I play pagan too much because I find myself looting border counties in a war, then doing a proper siege on the depleted holding with a proper force.  By the time the massive New Administration bonuses wear off, the raiding will have worn off too...  Might as well take what I can.

From what I've experienced, I would not be surprised if the highest speed is uncapped. I can only go to speed 5 if there is absolutely nothing going on, otherwise it is just too fast.
I can only handle speed 3, and only if I'm actively paying attention.  I usually run speed 2 and use my laptop.  It's a little annoying that, optimally, a new move order is required after almost every battle...  But instead of pausing, the game throws up a massive obscuring summary.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: February 05, 2015, 05:46:12 pm »

Should we do an MP CKII game at some point? I think it could be interesting.

I don't trust players to not be bastards :P

Probably wouldn't work for me though, the game is really slow for me, even on the highest speed setting.

Sorta the point of CK2 to be a bastard. If not in the common usage then a literal one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: February 05, 2015, 05:48:36 pm »

In EUIV the games tend to be played at speed 3.

Also, speed 5 is fast at first for me, but after ~100 years it has a rather dramatic, albeit steady, slowdown. Not sure why.
Probably the sheer amount of characters that end up existing. The game has to keep track of all their meaningless aspirations and plots to seduce their liege's consort.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: February 05, 2015, 05:49:58 pm »

That's another reason I couldn't play, I don't have Charlemagne or the... Way of Life(?) DLC
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »

That's another reason I couldn't play, I don't have Charlemagne or the... Way of Life(?) DLC
In multiplayer, everyone has effectively the same DLC as the host. So if I hosted, you'd be able to experience Charlemagne and WoL

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:27 pm »

In multiplayer, everyone has effectively the same DLC as the host. So if I hosted, you'd be able to experience Charlemagne and WoL
Ah, intriguing...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: February 05, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »

My upload speed is also shit and I'm in South America, so everyone else would probably experience lag.

I should say it though, that mp games tend to be at speed 1 or 2, always. Keep that in mind.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: February 05, 2015, 05:57:35 pm »

It would depend when.

I probably couldn't do anything until Tuesday next week, which is a bit rubbish.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:58 pm »

I'd be willing to have a game sometime on the weekend! I genuinely don't mind who I play as, as long as I can chat at the same time (with you guys.)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »

I'm set on playing.

SHould we agree on some time? :P

Might bring a friend(koss).

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »

Naaah. :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:00 pm »

I'm tempted to give it a shot...  I've only played with my best friend but it worked well.  How long would a typical game last?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »

Do you have a live? ( )

If yes, then don't join.
If not, theeeen probably a couple hours for a quick game :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: February 05, 2015, 06:24:20 pm »

I'm tempted to give it a shot...  I've only played with my best friend but it worked well.  How long would a typical game last?
The whole mp system was changed from the previous system (took at least 30 minutes to get everyone inside the game, had to restart when someone dropped/lost, etc) to the steam-based one. Hopefully, it is better.

I remember those early games we set up in B12 took a few hours and usually didn't result in anything meaningful... unless umiman was involved, in which case they became quite memorable.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1002