Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2009807 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7905 on: June 15, 2015, 08:46:33 pm »

Finally got Charlemagne!  Time to see how the 769 start is different, loading the default characters...
...  Why are there two Karlings?  Wait, Karl... Oh...  Ohhhh.

Was kinda amused that the Umayyad's and Abbasids are around too.  Stupid stable caliphates.

Also, wow what, Tigrinya in Miaphysite East Africa is not only Jewish in 769...  It remains Jewish all the way to the final date of 1337?  That seems unlikely somehow but I like that hardcore players have a challenge available.

I was hoping there'd be pagans in Britain but nope.  Shows what I know, Saint Patrick went through in the 400's.  IE before the Roman Empire fell.  This game just keeps on teaching me things...

I don't really know how the new mechanics work, except that forming custom kingdoms is possible somehow.  Sounds great.  I guess I'll start as Mercia and see about united/forming England before the Old Gods arrive.  Surely it can't be as hard as going from countess to queen in Old Gods Scandinavia...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:24 pm »

I was hoping there'd be pagans in Britain but nope.  Shows what I know, Saint Patrick went through in the 400's.  IE before the Roman Empire fell.  This game just keeps on teaching me things...
Except Patrick was Ireland...
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: June 15, 2015, 09:04:07 pm »

In the British Isles then :P
Today I also learned that Great Britain is just the name of the island east of Ireland.  Not a name for the British Isles, or for Britannia.

I don't know who turned "Pictland" (as it's called in 769) Catholic, I guess some other Roman.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: June 15, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »

St. Ninian in Scotland among the Picts (as attested by Bede), St. Patrick in Ireland, and England is a bit trickier.  People like Alban were in the first wave, but the Saxons rolled Christianity back until the Gregorian (not that Gregory) Mission under St. Augustine (also not that Augustine) arrived in Kent.  Though, really, Irish Christianity was the kernel around which Scottish and Northumbrian Christianity also arose. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:24:58 pm by Culise »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:59 pm »

It's 1220, pictland is STILL A THING, the pope gave Andalusia-Portugal-catalonia to the Teutonic Order, making them very scary, france began to eat Britain and parts of iberia, so I cheated a norman duchess in there, though english hasn't formed yet, and the mongols are already in my ass with 75k stacks of nothing but horse archers.

There's only one thing about this situation I don't get... why are they only fighting for one county at a time?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: June 15, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »

In my experience the AI very rarely manages to unite the UK. So I won't surprise if Pictland exists until the end of the game.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: June 15, 2015, 10:10:01 pm »

Interesting, though.  I thought that there was no specific criteria for Picts to flip to Scots (like the breakdown of the Norse megaculture, though that does have a start date).  It looks like...ah, yep, I was wrong.  Scottish doesn't seem to emerge on a personal level like Norse or English; it only flips on a provincial level, and only if its rulers are non-Pict.  A surviving Pictish Pictland will never be picked for non-Pict pics. 

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:08 pm »

First ruler finally died at the ridiculous age of 70! Fortunately I ensured that he had about 5 remaining legit children (with quite a few bastards on the side, and one of "my children" was from an affair my wife had but I "trusted her" so that it would count as mine. Now to kill this character's wife and marry into a Scottish kingdom! I think I'm getting a little better at this.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: June 15, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »

Interesting, though.  I thought that there was no specific criteria for Picts to flip to Scots (like the breakdown of the Norse megaculture, though that does have a start date).  It looks like...ah, yep, I was wrong.  Scottish doesn't seem to emerge on a personal level like Norse or English; it only flips on a provincial level, and only if its rulers are non-Pict.  A surviving Pictish Pictland will never be picked for non-Pict pics.
I suppose I'll be making another republic then.

LONG LIVE THE WHITE REVOLUTION!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7914 on: June 16, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »

HAhahahahahahHAHAH! THE SERBS HAVE CAUSED THE END TIMES!

I will type up the full story later, the story of how the Miroslavs brought about the apocalypse. For now, content yourself with this - just to get a small glimpse of how crazy things went, in such short time.
King Blaz Miroslav fought the White Walkers out of the Seven Kingdoms - but he did not pursue them past the gift. He gave the Lady Karstark independence to rule over the North, assuring her that she was fine. Inevitably, the White Walkers took over vast tracts of the North, even breaking past the Neck to begin invasions of the Westerlands, Riverlands and Vale. King Blaz Miroslav was not idle during all of this; he was conquering south and conquering east, fighting from the wings of the dragon Spyrax.
During one particular battle, a white walker was captured at great expense.

There was a tradition... Started one generation ago by Blaz's father, King (for a brief while) Vojislav Miroslav. The late Vojislav insulted the white walkers, calling them cowards and shriveling fools, a grave insult sent by the wings of a raven. The white walkers got the message, and in their rage broke through the great Wall of the Night's Watch. King Vojislav had set the bar, and King Blaz had to raise it. What's more insulting than calling the immortal frost demon enemy, the incarnate of death and winter, cowards?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why yes. Yes, Blaz just did that. He just made the devil his concubine.

This continued for a long while. The long night was dark and full of terrors. The fell white walker, slayer of all life, was subjected to Blaz's mighty, hard Valyrian steel all throughout the night. A few old men and women to this day scare their children with the mere insinuations of what went on in Blaz's dungeon to the captured White Walker. Decades later, after King Blaz had died, a group of white walkers would successfully break into the Vale and free their comrade under the reign of King Nikodim Miroslav. Unlike Blaz, Nikodim was no deviant, and did not make a saltwife of the white walker. But the damage had already been done. When the imprisoned white walker finally regained his freedom in the daring jailbreak, and finally returned home to the northern wastelands of ice and dead men, the King of the long Night found an all too human shiver crawling up his inhuman spine. If a white walker could cry, the frozen rivers would run freely once more.

The White Walkers sent their legions of the dead to kill every living thing left in the world.

But deep down, Blaz knew they knew.

The Serbians were ready to fuck up the forces of death, and they weren't even using lube.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »

That was... something. I don't know what that is, but it is impressive either way.

Any plans to bring Miroslav supremacy to other mods?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7916 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

That was... something. I don't know what that is, but it is impressive either way.
Any plans to bring Miroslav supremacy to other mods?
Without a doubt.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:10 pm »

You could try After the End next. It's neat.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: June 16, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »

You could try After the End next. It's neat.
Either this or the warhammer mod would be great, and both mods are pretty well developed.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: June 16, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »

I'd like to see how the Miroslavs handle the warhammer world, the empire is probably too easy a start though...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1002