Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 1990217 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #7995 on: June 19, 2015, 03:14:52 pm »

Can someone give me a step-by-step to install A Game of Thrones? The DL link is two years old, and trying to use any instructions given either does nothing to the game whatsoever or causes instant crashes when starting the application
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: June 19, 2015, 03:35:30 pm »

Two years old? You must be using the wrong version. Which is probably why it's not working. Here is a link to the newest version.
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: June 19, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »

What exactly did you just link to? Whatever it was, it first demanded I make and activate an account, then refused me access after I did so.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: June 19, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »

What exactly did you just link to? Whatever it was, it first demanded I make and activate an account, then refused me access after I did so.
It's the Paradox Interactive forums. You need to redeem your Steam CD key for CKII in order to access some sections of the CKII forums.

Redeem your code here and it should work.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:16:25 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: June 19, 2015, 06:51:44 pm »

Apparently, I still rather suck at this game and just before my conquest to control the last holy site I need to reform Germanic Paganism, I'm dealing with 3 uprisings. I'll probably be incapable of enforcing demands on more than one of them and am extremely outnumbered. I have no allies because I was a shithead and didn't secure my kingdom's allies or even succession well, so... Crap. Guess I need to call in a tribal army and hire the best mercs in the land (900 prestige and 800 gold currently) and I was saving that for the conquest of the holy site. (against a fairly large kingdom)It definitely doesn't help that my character is maimed and likely won't live past 55, so I've only got 2 decades to win 4 wars, earn 350 piety, reform the faith, and secure my succession before dropping dead. Oh, and when I attempted to prepare an invasion of the holy site, the force randomly disbanded after 2 months, so I can't use that.

Having been in a similar situation at least once, I'd suggest several tips for next time:

1) Alliances. You need these. They can easily double your troop count or more depending on who you get.

2) Make sure your firstborn son is taught by a Strategic Genius (The Four Star Military Guy) with the highest martial score. This can give you +50% troops if you compare a 20 martial guy to a 5 martial one.

3) Make sure you have enough for a blot when you take the last site, or make sure you have the 750 piety upon taking the last site. It doesn't matter if you lose it after you reform the faith.

4) Constantly check the faction screen and sent your spymaster to scheme where the factions may be.

I hope this helps you out, or at least will next time if you're ironmanning this. :)
Thanks, I actually managed to reform the faith by suppressing the revolts, then looting enough infidel temples to bring up the moral authority and spending the piety I earned through sacrificing infidels (mostly priests sen to convert us). I'm currently working on assassinating all of my cousins and other relatives with claims to my titles so that my many children will receive them instead. I'm planning to grant my titles to my children so that I can ensure my vassals and allies will have good opinions of me. Since we're still under gravel kind law, my primary heir is only likely to receive my kingdom and my capitol county.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: June 19, 2015, 07:36:43 pm »

You are better of getting people without claims to have your lands...usually far flung nobody cousins and what not if you can manage it...less civil wars in the future for claim grabs

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: June 20, 2015, 12:52:11 am »

Holy crap. Republics + Reformed Paganism = WIN.

Because, of course, merchant power is all about having landless males at court to run your business empire. Those poor Genoese and Venetians, limited by Christian morals to just one babymaker....

While pagan republics can load up on the concubines and crank out dynastic males like a factory. It's not quite the year 1000, and the Malinese have something like 70 trade posts blanketing the Mediterranean. This is with a measly Trade Practices III. And I have an income of around 50 gold a month, so it's relatively easy (if somewhat expensive) to buy the elections, even if my chosen heir is an 18-year old with negative prestige.

And because my land footprint is so large (all of Africa from Mali to the borders of Egypt), my personal retinue functions like a permanent mercenary army, while my mansion's guard contingent coupled with the city militias of Massat and Marrakech are an equally impressive army, available at a moment's notice.

Now I just have to decide if I want to crush Egypt and the surprisingly robust Abyssinian Kingdom and bring all of Africa proper under Malinese rule. Doing so will probably trigger more jihads for Egypt, and the Abbasids have managed to solidify their empire.

The Umayyads are extinct, having finally been replaced by Portugal, Castille and a hodgepodge of minor states, both Muslim and Christian. And most of the peninsula is still Visigoth in culture.  ???

I'm also getting raided by Vikings on a near-constant basis now. Luckily, they try to pillage Massat directly because the net value of the province is about 125. At which point my 5K local army pops out of the bushes and sends Valhalla a bunch of new guests. Still, I could potentially try to conquer Scandinavia and turn it African....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8003 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:04 am »

I'm also getting raided by Vikings on a near-constant basis now. Luckily, they try to pillage Massat directly because the net value of the province is about 125. At which point my 5K local army pops out of the bushes and sends Valhalla a bunch of new guests. Still, I could potentially try to conquer Scandinavia and turn it African....
If you build a trade outpost in Scandi, you should be able to claim a city there right? Then you could claim a county from that city, and from that county begin taking over Scandi.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: June 20, 2015, 06:58:34 am »

Holy crap. Republics + Reformed German Paganism = WIN.

Raids for more money + free claims on all coastal provinces? I think yes

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8005 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:22 am »

A Hindu merchant republic would also have that similar strength, without the constraint of having to reform anything. A single-province Muslim merchant republic would also have the advantage of being able to use every single holding on that province with the benefit of large families from concubines... With the decadence issue.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: June 20, 2015, 01:20:17 pm »

Holy crap. Republics + Reformed German Paganism = WIN.

Raids for more money + free claims on all coastal provinces? I think yes

It's so good, or at least it was until some bullshit gameplay mechanic forced me to end the game. :(
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: June 22, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »

During one of the countless futile Viking raids on Massat (seriously, I have probably exterminated 80000+ Vikings at the gates of the city over the last 100 years), a raiding party from Oland managed to slay my Grand Prince before being exterminated. In return, the new Grand Prince (cousin of the previous one) sent a raiding party of 7000 to Oland, burned Bornholm to the ground and took the chieftain's wife as a concubine. I don't know any better way to say "DON'T FUCK WITH ME" than that.

If I had the option, I'd even kill any children produced from the concubinage (re: rape) of his wife, and send their heads on a golden platter for the chief to weep over in the ashes of his keep.

Crusader Kings 2: Bringing out the monster in you since 2012.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8008 on: June 22, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »

Crusader Kings 2: Bringing out the monster in you since 2012.
They started it

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »

It's now 1103 and Mali has conquered all of Africa (at least all that can be accessed in CK2), including the Sinai which I invested as a fedual duchy rather than a republic, serving as a strongpoint to discourage Arab attempts to reclaim their old lands. It seems to have worked, as there have been no jihads or really ANY kind of retaliation from the Arab world in a century or so. Islam has been purged from Africa.

Abyssinia and Nubia took most of the century to absorb, thanks to Abyssinia's abundance of two-province duchies, which made holy warring a tedious process. Africa and Mauretania are now de jure portions of the Principality of Mali, and Egypt and Nubia are well on their way to becoming so.

My income is ridiculous, fueled by a completely built out estate and 26 trading posts just in House Cisse alone.

The Vikings remain annoying gnats -- no threat at all, but a constant irritant to be crushed at the gates of Massat and Agadir.

The Byzantine Empire remains a patriarchate (the TRUE Holy Roman Empire) and seems bent neither on expansion or contraction. It's remarkably stable but seems unwilling to do much (I'm guessing the AI is a bit perplexed at what to do as Patriarch first and Emperor second).

Europe is a mess, with the HRE consisting mainly of Lombardy (the Lombards never became Italians) and bits of Asturias and Lotharingia. France, Germany, Aquitaine and Middle Francia are relatively stable but unable to enforce their will on the pagan East.

Bohemia, Pannonia and Rus are the major pagan powers of Eastern Europe but are constantly broken apart by gavelkind.

Britain is still a mishmash of petty kingdoms, with no single hegemon able to emerge.

Looks like the only way I'm going to solve the Viking raider problem is to conquer Scandinavia. Figures that Africa would have to step in to solve Europe's problems.  :P
Call it the Black Man's Burden.

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1002